New Squad Co for Staten Island

I don't think that the extra pay for SOC members was in place at the time of formation of the 5 squads from Engine Cos.

SQUAD*8....DO 83  8-28-18....    TIMEKEEPING MANUAL
Timekeeping Manual dated September 15, 2015, Chapter 4, Agency Data Codes is amended as follows:
Under Section 4.7 Add: Squad 8......................8008
Affected pages 13-14 (Rev. 08/28/18) reflecting this change have been issued to all Bureaus and Divisions
for equal distribution to all units under their command.

The final roster will be selected.  They will attend HAZMAT and Rescue School in the near future.  Then the company will be put online.  It's a few months away.

C

capthale

I?m suprprise that they don?t use existing squad members to get it rolling

Bulldog

Bulldog
capthale said:
Most of the members of the existing squad probably like with are and don't want the commute all the way out to the island for their job.  Besides, there are rules written as a contract about relocating members and you just can't pick up and move them someplace else without a justifiable reason.  You also would be breaking up teams that work well together.

C

capthale

Okay I imagine they would want some veterans on there not a full rookie crew that?s what I was also thinking

C

capthale

So with this new squad are there plans to add more around the city elsewhere? With the growing needs of special units im sure they could us more help

capthale said:
Okay I imagine they would want some veterans on there not a full rookie crew that?s what I was also thinking
There will be some existing SQ Members in the new SQ when it opens after the new Members are trained.

Bulldog said:
capthale said:
Most of the members of the existing squad probably like with are and don't want the commute all the way out to the island for their job.  Besides, there are rules written as a contract about relocating members and you just can't pick up and move them someplace else without a justifiable reason.  You also would be breaking up teams that work well together.

I'm sure quite a few Squad 1 and 18 members may be SI residents so if they trade off less work for a better commute then maybe they will transfer into the new squad.

C

capthale

So if a member is coming from and engine company do they go through a ladder company training first and then squad company training and vice versa or do they just go straight into a squad style training

capthale said:
So if a member is coming from and engine company do they go through a ladder company training first and then squad company training and vice versa or do they just go straight into a squad style training
You are trained in probie school on engine and ladder company training. And if you?re in a double house you end up working across the floor a decent amount and stay on top of truck work.  Or if you?re a just a good guy on the job you stay reading and drilling on different aspects of the job because that?s what you do. 

Signal73 said:
Photo was sent to me. I know photographer

The new SQ*8 Rig is the former ENG*165 Rescue Pumper....165 already has 154s old rig & 154 is using a spare for now.

That looks like a brand new Rig? I thought 165 got a Rescue pumper for a reason are they going to get them a new one?

fdny747 said:
That looks like a brand new Rig? I thought 165 got a Rescue pumper for a reason are they going to get them a new one?

they probably prettied it up and gave it a good going over....
somewhere in these articles it says why they wound up with that rig, .... l'll see if l can find the post from 2013 - 14 or whenever ... otherwise someone here will certainly know the specifics.