New Squad Co for Staten Island

Not sure if it's been done before but I was thinking even with E-154 becoming a Squad they can still relocate an engine to their quarters while they are out on a job to maintain some coverage in the area.

I like the way you think however...
squad 8 should have been created as an additional unit in staten island
along with an additional battalion
with the creation of a new NYPD  precinct (121 pct)
I thought the FDNY would have had its own additions budgeted
after all...the population deems it as being necessary
AND..how much money was waisted on the now defunct "wheel" in st george

Yes they can relocate an engine to Squad 8s quarters. Staten Island needs at least 2 more engines and 2 more trucks to start an additional battalion would also be nice.

I remember a while back when Staten Island had 2 5 alarm fires at the same time Vesey Paper and a brush fire.

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Squad 8 rig is complete and at the rock. I read that it?s supposed to go in service sometime in the first week of December.
they are shooting for Dec 10th.

Hi there, long time lurker, but this will be my first post. I saw Squad 8 on Wednesday, 11/21/18 at The Rock, looked like it was getting some last minute burns in.

I could be completely mistaken, but it appeared due to the Squad's positioning that it was being used in a live burn. Mind you it had no hose on from what I could see.

Does anyone know if Squad 8 is going to be a citywide response unit or restricted only to Staten Island?

Bulldog

Bulldog
baileyjeff said:
Does anyone know if Squad 8 is going to be a citywide response unit or restricted only to Staten Island?
I haven't seen anything official (maybe one of the FDNY members can chime in) but I would speculate that it will respond like any of the other squads do and be sent to wherever it's needed. The only possible restriction might be that it won't be used to fill in for another squad except in dire circumstances.

Has anyone ever determined what the reasoning (if any) was regarding the numbering for the new SI Squad?

Good Question.

The only reasoning l can see is that it will be the 8th Squad .

...hmm, lol, ironically l just noticed that this reply is the 154 th reply on this subject...

C

capthale

They might keep that engine number open so they might reactivate that company again at a later date 

C

capthale

The area that engine 154 had, I believe that was the engine co the squad is replacing do they have another engine covering it as a first in now?

Squad 8 would still cover 154s area as 1st Due. They?ll go up to 3rd due boxes like the other squads. Only boxes they lost would be E154s 4th Due. Now if Squad 8 is out on a run, next Due would be 166 or 167 depending on where the box is. 154 has very large 1st due area but mostly industrial and not built up area - except for SI Mall and stores on Richmond Avenue corridor. That is built up. The mall just renovated.

E154 ran 1,740 runs in 2017 with 23 AH+. Wonder what SQ8 #s would be like.