News of Members

Latest reports are that site member "fdce54", aka Frank D., supervisor for Westchester County's Con Ed office says he'll miss those cool, brisk, fresh air nights of this past January, February and March (2014) as he counts down the weeks, days, hours and minutes until his retirement.

One of the most active members on this site, "mikeindabronx", aka Mike D, and his wife Marie, recently celebrated their 42nd Wedding Anniversary on St Patricks Day March 17, 2014. Mike, with the assistance of his wife Marie, has posted some of the best FDNY photos of the 1980s on his web site; www.fdnysbravest.com . He also has a web site for posting his works of Animal Photography, where he may sometimes be found strolling the grounds of The Bronx Zoo.

Mike was born and raised in the Bronx. In fact he lives in that same building today, where he was born and raised, a long time ago. His wife Marie, born in Brooklyn and grew up in St Albins, Queens.

Those of us who know Mike consider it an honor to have him as a friend. He has a great amount of respect for the FDNY, and I think they have a Great amount of respect for him too.

Congratulations to Mike D, "mikeindabronx", and his wife Marie, on 42 years of marriage. 

As we are aware, "Grumpy" is in the hospital as of this date (4/17/14). We hope he's doing okay and hope for a positive update soon.

Brother "Bxboro" recovering from some recent surgery he had requiring a two day hospital stay. Not quite ready to be stretching in yet, in Groton, Ct but the good news is that this great guy is doing okay now.

Mr Willy D (NFD2004) had himself a right eye cataract surgery the other day. Not too brave when it came to this thing. Had to get 15 separate eye drops put in before the work even started. When the nurse was putting them in, I wasn't really counting, but I said to her; "What's that number 14" ? She said; "No, number 3". But with a lolly pop treat, it made it all better.

I can't imagine what it will be like when we get old. Earlier this month I got myself some medicare. Starting to put it to work already.

Hope your doing well Uncle Willy D - where would we be without you

Mike Many Congrats to you and Marie on your 42yrs of marriage

Grump & Bxboro also wishing you a speedy recovery

Thanks Mike, I know you can understand. Being on medicare, joining AARP, trips to the senior center, and every once in awhile the doctor says; "well, we got a little problem here". But Mike, the truth is, as buffs, we sure were around during the right time.

"Manhattan",  I think I asked the nurse for a date. But when it was over, I could see the nurse was a guy, not a gal.

Truth is that medicine has really come a long way. "Bxboros" surgery was really pretty serious, but the doctors at Yale, New Haven, Ct really know their stuff. When my eye surgery was over, I could see again. I guess years ago, the end result would be just going blind. I couldn't see anything out of my right eye just a few days ago.

I hope that Grumpy will do okay too. And of course we will all pray for Capt Vigiano who is dealing with that cancer.

There are members on here still paying a physical price after 9/11. They battle medical issues on a daily basis. "69Mets" is one such example. He has some good days, some bad days. Even some bad weeks or bad months. But he's happy to be alive.

I tell these stories because these are good people. Most of us never even met these individuals, but we can consider them our friends. At our Get Together last year, one member joined us who had some difficulty getting around. But he didn't let that stop him. I'm sure it wasn't easy for "svd385", but it sure was good to see him. He certainly put a lot of effort into being a part of it.

And young guys like "Irish" who I met last year. He made the trip all the way from Ireland to see the FDNY and meet up with a few members. If you ask me, he's really top shelf.

Willy D!!!!! You mean to tell me that you have been driving the Rev and and his pal, Frankie D of the CE and you didn't have any Eyesight! Ohhhhhhhh Willy, Mr Wang will be verrry upset at woo for dat!!!

nfd2004 said:
Thanks Mike, I know you can understand. Being on medicare, joining AARP, trips to the senior center, and every once in awhile the doctor says; "well, we got a little problem here". But Mike, the truth is, as buffs, we sure were around during the right time.

"Manhattan",  I think I asked the nurse for a date. But when it was over, I could see the nurse was a guy, not a gal.

Truth is that medicine has really come a long way. "Bxboros" surgery was really pretty serious, but the doctors at Yale, New Haven, Ct really know their stuff. When my eye surgery was over, I could see again. I guess years ago, the end result would be just going blind. I couldn't see anything out of my right eye just a few days ago.

I hope that Grumpy will do okay too. And of course we will all pray for Capt Vigiano who is dealing with that cancer.

There are members on here still paying a physical price after 9/11. They battle medical issues on a daily basis. "69Mets" is one such example. He has some good days, some bad days. Even some bad weeks or bad months. But he's happy to be alive.

I tell these stories because these are good people. Most of us never even met these individuals, but we can consider them our friends. At our Get Together last year, one member joined us who had some difficulty getting around. But he didn't let that stop him. I'm sure it wasn't easy for "svd385", but it sure was good to see him. He certainly put a lot of effort into being a part of it.

And young guys like "Irish" who I met last year. He made the trip all the way from Ireland to see the FDNY and meet up with a few members. If you ask me, he's really top shelf.
So Bill, where are you and the nurse going on your date, Mickey D's?