NYPD Going Encrypted. Next Is FDNY?

Pushback already starting about the NYPD radio encryption.....more than one group is speaking out against it...some of them are the woke people as well as those in favor of more PD "transparency" (they are claiming encryption is a "tool" to prevent them from knowing what's happening behind the scenes) .... also the "politically correct" groups & also the "violence interrupters" who get their info from monitoring...of all the different groups objecting to encryption I think the news media will have the most clout speaking out against encryption as they stand to loose money not getting a timely scoop.

I don't really see the reason to encrypt FD anyway. There's no reason to figure out where they are because someones definitely gonna show up. And it will be in minutes. Criminals are much more concerned with the whereabouts of cops. If they're so worried about people using two-ways to interrupt transmissions make the Baofengs receive only like scanners. Scanners have been around a long time I find it hard to believe criminals just figured that one out. As far as PD goes I monitor it too but I can't hear my locals either so I expect it.

Pushback already starting about the NYPD radio encryption.....more than one group is speaking out against it...some of them are the woke people as well as those in favor of more PD "transparency" (they are claiming encryption is a "tool" to prevent them from knowing what's happening behind the scenes) .... also the "politically correct" groups & also the "violence interrupters" who get their info from monitoring...of all the different groups objecting to encryption I think the news media will have the most clout speaking out against encryption as they stand to loose money not getting a timely scoop.
I wonder how Broadcastify is going to handle it.

I beleive that encryption is mostly pushed by the radio manufacturers like Motorola to increase their profits. After all, once a radio system is sold and installed, how else can they make money except through service and enhancements like encryption ? Also when digital radios first came out for the fire service weren't there issues about hearing transmissions from inside high rise buildings ? I wonder if encryption may create the same types of problems.

Couple of thoughts: 20 years or more I was somewhat involved in a system development. Motorola was including their encryption algorithm included in there radios. They marketed as "getting rid of those scanner guys"
Second is, and someone with current knowledge correct me. if you get a federal grant for Radios, they have to be P25 capable and have AES encryption installed. There is not a requirement to use it.

Here is my take - I get the need, there are certainly situations as discussed above that would be appropriate for encryption. However, Using "transparency" and encryption in the same sentence is laughable. All the city has at the end of the day is trust, and when you try to "hide " communications people will ask what are you trying to hide? All jurisdictions tape record their radios but the trust issue is always going to be there.
I think the number of us that monitor communications is under estimated. and most of us listen for situational awareness and to know when to get the hell out of the way.

LACoFD put all their channels on Broadcastify with a delay. FDNY should do the same. At least the Borough channels and Citywide

Another point is some of us are nowhere near the transmissions we're listening to. I listen to the 5 boroughs on my FDNY radio. I live in NJ by the time I got to the closest incident which would be in SI I'm at least a half hour out. Same with NYPD. The locals here are either encrypted or have very little going on.

Another point is some of us are nowhere near the transmissions we're listening to. I listen to the 5 boroughs on my FDNY radio. I live in NJ by the time I got to the closest incident which would be in SI I'm at least a half hour out. Same with NYPD. The locals here are either encrypted or have very little going on.
I have friends on the job in both Boston and Chicago so I rely on Broadcastify for me to see what is going on with those departments. And FDNY is, well FDNY so I like to see how they respond to and handle all kinds of interesting incidents. And to be perfectly honest the media where I live, both print and broadcast leave a lot to be desired so I monitor locally so keep abreast of what is going on. Besides I monitor those two departments to keep you abreast of happenings.

Podcast sponsored by The City interviewing an advocate for no encryption. Mostly he is concerned about the lack of access for the news media and the lack of "checks and balances" on police authority. He indicates that also from a public safety standpoint citizens should know if a riot or toxic leak occurs in their neighborhood. During the George Floyd protests scanners were vital for citizens and employees going to work to avoid the fast moving crowds of protesters. He cites several examples of US cities that became totally encrypted but then under pressure created a 15 minute or half hour delay in non-encrypted radio traffic. He also sees the City Council as the main venue for rolling back and preventing encryption in NYC.

Last edited:

HC7

I Recently Have Been Hearing Lots Of Units In All Borough Having To Switch Over To The Backup Frequencies Because They Are Unreadable.

To My Understanding.. All Backup Frequencies Are Encrypted?

Seems Like More & More Units Are Operating On The Backup, Anyone Know Why? Also Does Not Seem Like A Step In The Right Direction For FDNY Not Going Encrypted.

Here in the UK both Police and Fire Services have used encrypted radio for years. Very frustrating hearing FDNY radio traffic , but I can't hear anything at all here even if outside my house .

LACoFD put all their channels on Broadcastify with a delay. FDNY should do the same. At least the Borough channels and Citywide
I believe they all have a 3 minute delay. I know FDNY, Boston & Many Connecticut Cities & towns do

The main benefit for the PD is that an expensive Trunk Tracking P-25 radio is now needed to listen even to the unencrypted conversations if there are any. No more $30 BaoFeng interference.
An Encrypted Mixer Off like system should solve everybody's problem......if not abused by the PD Radio Operators.

IT APPEARS TO ME THAT AS OF TODAY (AUG. 17.2023) BROOKLYN FIRE RADIO WILL SHORTLY BE DIGITIAL/ENC. THE INTEROP P-25,800MHZ SYSTEM ALREADY SHOWS Encrypted MOST TIMES WHEN BROOKLYN IS BROADCASTING CONVENTIONALLY. GET READY---THERE SHE WENT.

DO NOT DIAL 911 FROM NOW ON. CALL YOUR FAVORITE RADIO/TV/NEWSPAPER DIRECTLY. GIVE THEM A HEADSTART!!!!!

Last edited: