Old FDNY Pictures

Mack, I think that's great. I bet there's a few guys on here who can remember some of those days.

not to date my self, but in the first clip that had to be Luna Park Coney island fire, also the short clip with the fire boat, that was the Oil depot fire in Jamaica Bay area, great shot of it, and in the 1943 clip take note of the fellow helping to pack the hose wearing the old CD red iron helmet, also a little later on he can be seen again. Yes, those were the days.

mack

Administrator
Makes you realize how many things have changes over the years:

apparatus/radio/turn out gear/masks/....

reference to my last post, those red steel helmets were being worn by an auxiliary fireman. Those helmets (world war 1 U S Army issue) were also issued in yellow color to air raid wardens 1940-44. We still had them in the early fifties before being issued the New Yorker style yellow plastic helmets. We also got yellow unlined turnout coats at the same time. The red had to go because of conflict with the Red New Yorkers being worn by the members of the FIRE PATROL COMPANIES. A small bit of historical trivia from an old timer.

The change in FDNY Auxiliary Helmet color from red to yellow took place around '63 - '64.

mack

Administrator
auxlteng225 said:
reference to my last post, those red steel helmets were being worn by an auxiliary fireman. Those helmets (world war 1 U S Army issue) were also issued in yellow color to air raid wardens 1940-44. We still had them in the early fifties before being issued the New Yorker style yellow plastic helmets. We also got yellow unlined turnout coats at the same time. The red had to go because of conflict with the Red New Yorkers being worn by the members of the FIRE PATROL COMPANIES. A small bit of historical trivia from an old timer.

Fire Patrol originally wore white turnout coats.

Thanks for the correction on date of change Chief. I, frankly, wasn't too sure if I had it right. As I said, I am an old timer.  Ha Ha 

auxlteng225 said:
Thanks for the correction on date of change Chief. I, frankly, wasn't too sure if I had it right. As I said, I am an old timer.  Ha Ha

Walter, "auxlt225", I think you might be the oldest guy on here. If I remember you told us that you were 83 years old in June, 2014. I think that's great.

A few guys on here may also remember meeting a guy by the name of Ken Kelly at one of our first Get Togethers. He was 87 years old then, when we met in the Bronx for some chow on Arthur Ave. He used to buff with me back in the 70s. I just saw him a few weeks ago. He is now 91 years old and still going strong. The doctors are amazed at how well he's doing. He was wearing his favorite FDNY sweatshirt too.

I took a picture of him and I'm hoping one of the members I passed it onto will post it for me here.

It's great to know that guys like "auxlt225" and Kenny Kelly are still doing well. Many on here still remember those days.

yes, you might be right, turning 84 this June.  That picture of the fire boat that I was in the old time fire movies had to be the Smith, Marine 8 and 69mets father was captain on board.

See I made a typo error in the last, Delete that letter I.  between that and was. the way it reads sounds like I was there and I definitely was not on the Smith.