Only Company in FDNY History to have Three Sections???

mack said:
I think it is possible that FDNY used to run with multiple engine company sections in Staten Island during the brush fire seasons (spring/fall) back in the 60's.  My dad spent some time in in Staten Island units that were designated 2nd sections, brush fire patrol and maybe even 3rd sections.  They did not have the brush fire units yet.  From my memory, they pulled 2nd pieces and spares (the old CD units) and put them in service as extra engine sections manned with OT.  E 164 always seemed to have several engines operating out of their Huguenot firehouse on dry, windy days.  They also had units relocated from Bklyn and Manhattan.  http://www.ladder18fdny.com/images/frank-proceller-pics/47_NYFD_Staten-IslandI_May-.jpg from Ladder 18's site has pictures of Engine 17 relocating to operate out of E164's quarters.  There were larger undeveloped areas, fewer hydrants and fewer SI companies back then. 

Mack - that's a great picture. Thanks

raybrag said:
Do the squads still have their hazmat bread trucks?

All squads, except 1, have various model year GMC/Union Body Works "Bread Trucks" from 1997 - 2002.

Squad 1 has a Technical Response Vehicle built by E-One on a 1999 Freightliner chassis.

Picture at:  http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e269.htm

Even the Haztec Engines like E274 have the bread trucks - Newer models than Dugan's for us older guys!!

rdm258 said:
Does Sq1 run the TRV as there second piece for HazMat jobs?

I would guess that that is correct, because all seven Squads are Haz Tec companies, plus the four Haz Tec engines.  I understand that their vehicle carries additional tools and equipment.  I have seen rundowns where the dispatsher specifically asks Squad 1 to bring their second piece, even when it is not a hazmat incident.

TRV1 is half HazTec gear, half major incident/collapse/special operations gear.  It's automatically assigned on any 10-60 citywide.

bklyndisp54 said:
Separate from the concept of 2nd or 3rd sections, some engine companies used to run  with 2 pieces (i.e. pumper and hose wagon) on some or all of their boxes.   Do any of them (besides the engine/satellite responses) still do that  ?

Don't forget the airport hosewagons.  E316 has one for LaGuardia Airport, and E308 houses the JFK unit.  Both are Mack MR units, and  are former Satellites.

mack

Administrator
Don't know how to look this up, but what did early combination companies run with?  I looked at Engine 246 (originally 146, originally 46 BFD).  When they were consolidated into FDNY, they became a combination company.  I think that meant an engine section and a ladder section.  It looks like they were also a double engine company.  Years later, Engine 327 and Ladder 169 were formed. 

http://www.nyfd.com/history/engine_246_1.html 

This piece says 3 rigs responded but the engines back then did have tenders.  Maybe there were 5 rigs.

I have to admit that I visited that old Sheepshead Bay firehouse a lot when my dad worked there.  Too bad the Belt Parkway made it obsolete.  It was like Disney World.  E 327 still had a big Ahrens Fox engine.

Those early Combo companies usually ran a Steamer (engine), a Hosewagon, and a City Service (No mechanical aerial ladder but carried ground ladders as long as 50 ft.) Ladder truck. Later the steamers were replaced with  motorized pumpers but they still had hosewagons and city service ladder trucks. Combination Engine Co. 49 on Welfare Isl. had a 65 ft. aerial ladder truck. Engine 96 had their city serv. ladder replaced with a 1951 Ward LaFrance Quad.