QUEENS(?) GAS EXPLOSION

I can?t recall the exact date or even the year, but in the (?late 1960?s, early 1970?s?) there was a very major gas explosion in (?Queens?) that destroyed several apparatus and many homes.  Does anyone, especially someone who responded, have detailed information?  I remember that the papers carried the story for at least a week.

Thank you.

Jamaica Gas Explosion Borough Call.  Box 4758 1/13/1967.  Story in WNYF 2/1967

I was assigned to L127 at this time. Didn't work the incident. Normally second due at the box 298 and 127 went in first. The guys described arriving with no ignition the gas venting sounded like a jet engine. The vapors from the escaping gas caused an oxygen deficiency in the immediate area which then caused 298 and 127 to stall a few feet from the gas cloud. The members were assigned to knock on all the surrounding residential doors and tell the occupants to immediately leave the house and run. The guys said that at the first number of homes the people were refusing/hesitating to leave, ordered out they then left. Five minutes or so after arrival the gas ignited taking the exposed buildings and 298 and 127 with it. When the gas ignited the guys no longer had to argue with the people, they just had to get out of their way so they weren't knocked down. The guys did a great job, as always. I worked the next day tour. I took a blackened  partly melted 1 1/2" coupling off a destroyed 127 roll-up, I use the coupling as a paperweight. As I will be 82 in August if anyone would like the coupling let me know and perhaps I can get it to you, as when I go my family will just throw it out.

Chief thank you for that story.

As to that coupling, along with your story, perhaps someone like this site owner Lt Tommy Bendick would know where it can be displayed with your story.

That coupling represents the worst gas explosion in the FDNY (at least that I am aware of). So please hang onto it for now.

Besides, you probably have a few more stories to tell us so you got to hang around awhile yet.

Thanks Chief

O.K. Bill someday when I can get together with you guys I will bring it with me.

manhattan said:
I can?t recall the exact date or even the year, but in the (?late 1960?s, early 1970?s?) there was a very major gas explosion in (?Queens?) that destroyed several apparatus and many homes.  Does anyone, especially someone who responded, have detailed information?  I remember that the papers carried the story for at least a week.

Thank you.

Links to postings about this incident

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,50639.795.html

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,13442.msg145139.html#msg145139

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,50639.msg173481.html?PHPSESSID=c13kjcp92ucqehcsgi8hgm0a17#msg173481

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,50639.msg173508.html#msg173508

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,50639.msg173511.html#msg173511

******* said:
I was assigned to L127 at this time. Didn't work the incident. Normally second due at the box 298 and 127 went in first. The guys described arriving with no ignition the gas venting sounded like a jet engine. The vapors from the escaping gas caused an oxygen deficiency in the immediate area which then caused 298 and 127 to stall a few feet from the gas cloud. The members were assigned to knock on all the surrounding residential doors and tell the occupants to immediately leave the house and run. The guys said that at the first number of homes the people were refusing/hesitating to leave, ordered out they then left. Five minutes or so after arrival the gas ignited taking the exposed buildings and 298 and 127 with it. When the gas ignited the guys no longer had to argue with the people, they just had to get out of their way so they weren't knocked down. The guys did a great job, as always. I worked the next day tour. I took a blackened  partly melted 1 1/2" coupling off a destroyed 127 roll-up, I use the coupling as a paperweight. As I will be 82 in August if anyone would like the coupling let me know and perhaps I can get it to you, as when I go my family will just throw it out.
I know the feeling. My dad had a small piece of the bomber engine that flew into the Empire State building in his drawer until 1987 when he passed away. I asked mom where it went and the reply was, "oh I threw that junk out." Also gone were the photos from the 1939 World's Fair in Flushing that he had taken showing him in uniform in front of an FDNY Ahrens-Fox pumper and photos of all the other rigs that were there. Thanks mom.

You know what Charlie (MemoryMaster), you bring up a good point. I read the above post from ****** and it's true, others will never value the mementos that we are attached to, and very true, they are just going to wind up in the can, gone forever. I see guys fire helmets on e-bay, yes, they are not being thrown out (this time), but eventually they go to the big quartermaster in the sky. I got to thinking, what will happen with the "war year" veterans that have scrap books loaded with gold? Willy Knapp from E 82 always displayed his collection at the annual 82/31 Christmas Party. He does not attend anymore. Where will his collection wind up? How can we preserve "war year" photos and mementos? Do you think the next generation will have the same interest that we do?  (Scratching head)...

What about a bequest to the FDNY Museum?  I have donated some stuff to the Air Force Museum, and they seemed glad to get it.

JohnnyGage said:
You know what Charlie (MemoryMaster), you bring up a good point. I read the above post from ****** and it's true, others will never value the mementos that we are attached to, and very true, they are just going to wind up in the can, gone forever. I see guys fire helmets on e-bay, yes, they are not being thrown out (this time), but eventually they go to the big quartermaster in the sky. I got to thinking, what will happen with the "war year" veterans that have scrap books loaded with gold? Willy Knapp from E 82 always displayed his collection at the annual 82/31 Christmas Party. He does not attend anymore. Where will his collection wind up? How can we preserve "war year" photos and mementos? Do you think the next generation will have the same interest that we do?  (Scratching head)...

Preserve the history locally first - the Fire Museum or the Mand Library.
But if neither can accept it, the National Fire Heritage Center will, especially the written documents and scrap books.
"Preserving the Perishable"

I agree the Fire Museum, the Mand Library and the National Fire Heritage Center.  I'd also add the National Archives and the Smithsonian in WDC and the American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the City of New York and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, all here in the city.  They each have a highly-respected appreciation for heritage and a passionate commitment to passing that along to future generations.

It hurts me to see some of these items tossed off on eBay.  Artifacts of such extraordinary intrinsic value MUST be treated with well-deserved respect and preserved, along with their stories, for many future generations.  No matter your age or health, don't leave them to the whims of your heirs.  Tag, photograph and catalogue them, write why they are important to you with each item's history and list them in your will along with your desired disposition.

Just some ideas.

And thank you, everybody, for your responses to my original question.