Rescue 4

Does anybody know of any R-Model Mack Rescue that has been saved and restored? It doesn't matter the department. I never seem to see any of them at the antique fire apparatus shows that I go to.
I’m pretty sure someone has one on Facebook they post about restoring from time to time, I’m drawing a complete blank currently though.

That must have been fun driving with the “R” style cab and that huge front bumper …essentially in a very congested area like NYC.

RCL

That's exactly the issue with most of the new apparatus and the question boils down to who's fault is it? Is it the fire departments, the government, ISO or?
I'd say any number or combination of the above and then some. You could throw NFPA in their also. Most of the committees are made up of the manufacturers. They come up with an idea, good bad or otherwise, and suddenly every unit coming off the production line has to have this widget. I will say in some ways this is good, such as ropes and most testing procedures. Having a maker say after x amount of years the rope should move from life safety to general purpose is probably a good thing. On the other hand, having to pump test a unit, with every light on, and the climate control system on, and hold everything for an hour, because 1 person on the committes, had 1 unit that had electrical issues at a fire, 1 time in 30 years, is a little excessive. And yes, that was a first hand account.

We had an engine, a 98 E-One Cyclone, we called the widow maker. Because that unit, would do 1 of 2 things. Either you would step on the federal switch, pull the air horn and turn all at the same time, in which case the transmission would stick in what ever gear you were in while responding, or if you made it to the fire with out incident, while pumping the unit would suddenly throttle down and wouldn't come back up. In both cases, the only way to resolve the issue was to shut the unit down, and restart it. After.months of trouble shooting, we finally found out, from an E-One engineer, to check the road to pump safety buried in the transfer case. Sure enough, when we replaced that sensor, both issues went away. Apparently, according to the engineer, the sensor wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. It would test out fine, but for what ever reason., would go stupid.

By comparison, we also had a 71 Pierce 85' Snorkel. I loved thay truck. Never had a problem with that truck. Only issue, and this was specific to snorkels apparently, was every once in a while, while the hydraulics were engaged and the boom was flying, power would be sent to the drive axles and they would spin. Sometimes hop the truck. But alot of other Snorkels did the same. The aerial that replaced it, we had all sorts of problems with the electronics, jack leg sensors and hydraulics.

IMG_20220318_093833292_HDR.jpgR-Model mack at hurrican barrier.jpg
This R-Model Mack was recently saved at the last minute from being shipped overseas. A group of antique fire truck enthusiast from Rhode Island now own it and are in the process of getting it back to it's original condition and color. This is, and always was, a Rescue Company. For some reason it was named Special Hazards 1 because the department felt that since hazardous materials was a big thing in the 80's there was less of a chance of the company getting decommissioned. Here's no surprise, with just a rebuild of the injectors the rig came roaring back to life as if it hadn't been sitting for years. You can't beat the old Mack's.

View attachment 36774View attachment 36775
This R-Model Mack was recently saved at the last minute from being shipped overseas. A group of antique fire truck enthusiast from Rhode Island now own it and are in the process of getting it back to it's original condition and color. This is, and always was, a Rescue Company. For some reason it was named Special Hazards 1 because the department felt that since hazardous materials was a big thing in the 80's there was less of a chance of the company getting decommissioned. Here's no surprise, with just a rebuild of the injectors the rig came roaring back to life as if it hadn't been sitting for years. You can't beat the old Mack's.

"Dan R", I once rode in that rig when it was originally the second piece to Engine 1 at the old Providence Fire Headquarters on Fountain St.
"Attention Engine 1 with Special Hazards, Engine 3, Engine 10, Ladder 1, Ladder 5 and Battalion 2 - respond to Still Box............."

In the 1960s I became friends with Lt. Dick Hamilton of FDNY Rescue 2. A few times I took the Flatbush Ave. bus down to Rescue 2s quarters and Lt. Hamilton let me ride a few times. Below is a famous photograph by noted FDNY photographer Alex Dutchin. I believe I was standing across the street watching this fire when this photo was taken. The fire was near the then active, Brooklyn Navy Yard. Rescue 2's rig back then was a Classic R Mack. If you want to read a great firemen's book, get a copy of Lt. Dick Hamiliton's book, "20,000 Alarms"
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.FDNY Lt. Dick Hamilton R-2.jpgFDNY Bklyn 5-5 on 3-30-62  Lt. Hamilton & R-2 on Shed Roof.jpgFDNY Rescue 2 Mack 1960s.jpg

Remember when Mack & Renault merged and produced some cab forward or over trucks? Hence, the French Poodle in lieu of Bulldog.
This is what the Renault/Mack monster looked like, very similar to the Scania cabovers widely used in Europe.

Attachments

• mack_magnum_14-700x464.jpg
    mack_magnum_14-700x464.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 9
In the 1960s I became friends with Lt. Dick Hamilton of FDNY Rescue 2. A few times I took the Flatbush Ave. bus down to Rescue 2s quarters and Lt. Hamilton let me ride a few times. Below is a famous photograph by noted FDNY photographer Alex Dutchin. I believe I was standing across the street watching this fire when this photo was taken. The fire was near the then active, Brooklyn Navy Yard. Rescue 2's rig back then was a Classic R Mack. If you want to read a great firemen's book, get a copy of Lt. Dick Hamiliton's book, "20,000 Alarms"
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.View attachment 36796View attachment 36797View attachment 36798

Wow, "Captain784", that is the Mack Rescue that I first rode in way back in 1968 and I met Lt Hamilton.

I was invited to go down to the firehouse located at 160 Carlton Ave in Brooklyn by another Brooklyn Firefighter, nicknamed "TAD" (maybe you know him) of Engine Co 210, that was quartered with Rescue 2.

I met "TAD" while working part time in a local drug store and we got talking.
I told him I was interested in becoming a firefighter.
That's when he told me he would ask Lt Hamilton if it was okay for me to go down to the firehouse.
He got back to me the next day and I rode there in the Summer of 1968.
I could NOT believe it and I talk about it in the thread "My Younger Buff Years" in the History section on this website.

www.nycfire.net/forums/threads/my-younger-buff-years.3017/ see; reply #2

I have many friends here who were on the job and they all know my story.
I tell them I got to ride with the Major Leagues of the Fire Service right from the start.

My brother was also invited down that summer to ride.
It changed our lives forever and we were both "hooked" after that.

Last edited:
Brother and sisters get you hand on a copy of the book I mentioned about Lt. Dick Hamilton FDNY Rescue 2, ="20,000 Alarms."
Sadly, when Dick Hamilton passed away, only few years ago, I found out a month or so later. I would have been an honor to put on my Dress Uniform and pay my own honor to one of the great firemen of all times. When he was forced to retire for medical reasons, his Lieutenant Badge Number was formally retired by the then Fire Commissioner/Chief of Department John T. O'Hagan. Chief John T. O'Hagan was also a member of Rescue 2 at one point and when he later became FDNYs Chief of Dept he was only 37 years of age.
Lt. Dick Hamilton R-2 = "Truly one of the Iron Men of Firefighting." Captain Bob Rainey FDNY engine 26 retired

Brother and sisters get you hand on a copy of the book I mentioned about Lt. Dick Hamilton FDNY Rescue 2, ="20,000 Alarms."
Sadly, when Dick Hamilton passed away, only few years ago, I found out a month or so later. I would have been an honor to put on my Dress Uniform and pay my own honor to one of the great firemen of all times. When he was forced to retire for medical reasons, his Lieutenant Badge Number was formally retired by the then Fire Commissioner/Chief of Department John T. O'Hagan. Chief John T. O'Hagan was also a member of Rescue 2 at one point and when he later became FDNYs Chief of Dept he was only 37 years of age.
Lt. Dick Hamilton R-2 = "Truly one of the Iron Men of Firefighting." Captain Bob Rainey FDNY engine 26 retired

I have a photo of an ad from ebay offering the book "20,000 Alarms" by Lt Richard Hamilton.
The book is "used" which was listed in April, 2022
The price ......$450.00

I have a photo of an ad from ebay offering the book "20,000 Alarms" by Lt Richard Hamilton.
The book is "used" which was listed in April, 2022
The price ......$450.00

Just checked on Amazon, as of today (7/13/23).

One used hardcover book "20,000 Alarms" - $495.00

Five used paperback books - starting from $250.00 each

Just checked on Amazon, as of today (7/13/23).

One used hardcover book "20,000 Alarms" - $495.00

Five used paperback books - starting from $250.00 each
I got it a few years ago on ebay, $200 I think