Rescue 4

ohagan ( I think) was a FF in LAD*110 ? .....he was a LT in LAD*102....CPT of R*1 .....BC BN*9.....DC DV*3......then COD at 39 yrs of age.....when he was COD guys said he would do so much good for The Job being so smart & advancing so far at a young age .....then he also became the FC while still wearing the COD hat (holding both positions )......boy was everybody wrong.... it was all downhill while he remained OTJ.

Thank for the corrections it has been a few years and my memory that far back has indeed some mistakes. I was 1st introduced to then Chief of Department John T. O'Hagan by my Pastor at Vanderveer Park Methodist Church and FDNY Chaplain Alfred C. Thompson. P.T. all the kids called him that. P.T. was also a former U.S. Navy Under Water Demolition = U.D.T., in modern thermology a Navy SEAL and Navy reserve Chaplain. He knew I was a big buff and when a big FDNY job was going on in Brooklyn, he would call me and tell me to meet him on the corner of my block, just a few blocks from Church. P.T. even had alarm receiving bells in the rectory connected just like a firehouse to the telegraph alarm system then in use. His FDNY Car Number was Car 43. Pastor/Chaplain Tompson made a point of introducing me to the Chief's at the fire after everything was "Under Control." When I was promoted to Captain on the FDNY in 1991, P.T. was at there, along with my old college Professor and also a friend, at that time Acting Fire Commissioner Bill Feehan, who actually swore me in. Sadly, "P.T." died a few years ago, from Cancer I feel may have come from his long hours caring for the FDNY members at "Ground Zero" after 9/11. I have attached a photo of P.T. below. When I at last take up from this life, if I get to Heaven, I know P.T. and Father Mychel Judge, will put in a good word with me with the Good Lord
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired,
FDNY Chaplin Al. Thompson & Brother help injured Brother.jpg

I was told John O'Hagan was also a lieutenant in Ladder 168 and was appointed to Engine 318.

Seagrave heavy rescues have their fair share of problems as well. A certain volunteer department in Rockland County NY bought a beautiful tandem axle heavy rescue in 2020. It was constantly going out of service for issues during its first year including down for 3 months while it had to go all the way back to the Seagrave factory due to body and door issues. Over a million dollars for a rig with that many issues in its first year !?!?!?
I don’t disagree but that is unfortunately the issues with the majority or new trucks. Most volunteer departments show up to the final with 5 overweight, older guys that are just there for the free trip and meal. They simply aren’t trained at what to look for. FDNY is insanely detailed at their final inspection with several spending hours under the truck, especially compared to your average volunteer department.

FDNY gives the low bidder the specs on how they want the rig built and with what. The Seagrave fdny gets is not the Seagrave everyone else gets. They all have their fair share of issues. It all comes down to spec’.
I wouldn’t say those are low bidder. Those are pretty similar. Those FDNY trucks are a lot more money than any volunteer department would pay. FDNY spec is very detailed and the main item that eliminates every other bidding is the stainless steel, roll cage designed cage. It is the safest cab in the industry and it’s not even close. Look at the Pierce accident in Virginia a few weeks ago vs the accident involving the delivery of Islip Terraces new Seagrave engine in 2016. Both hit tree(s) Islip Terraces driver had a stroke while going 60mph into the woods and every door opened. Most of the visible damage was only the bumper. They opted to just have it repaired and currently still use it. For the safety of the brothers and sisters, no one compares to a Seagrave.

That is too. I think as many “exceptions” as possible is the goal. Obviously each manufacturer has their own list of things only they provide. So much of FDNY’s specs aren’t offered to the rest of the country. About 10-15 years ago they allowed departments to jump on an FDNY aerialscope spec (and making it NFPA compliant) but that pretty much ended.