Rescue companies

Quick question do FDNY rescues respond to their 1st due are for all calls?

So say a class 3 alarm is in their 1st due area do they respond 1st due?

They respond to what we call structural incidents, fires, gas leaks, manholes, stuff like that. They haven't responded to class 3 alarms first due in a little more than ten years, unless there are specific instructions for them to respond.

Rescue companys proboly do not have a lot of 1st alarm boxes...but yes they do respond to 1st alarm boxes....this is from the past and still now the oresent.....if you listen carefully to some boxes that are in rescue 4 area....you will here the dispatcher announce the box and then say...Batt 46  you have a 3 and 2 response with the rescue normally assigned. When we get detailed to 292  there are normal responses by both units to area boxes weather the box be a phome alarm...ers with poss info...class 3 or in the older days a pull box

Just catching up to an ole thresd here...

According to Griffith's "Operational Reference", Rescue Compnaies "are also assigned on boxes if closer than the first due ladder company"...

I am familiar with R3. In their previous quarters on 176th Street, R3 had a handful of boxes where they were closer than first due assigments for L's 27, 33, or 38 and they would go on the box. If any of those were closer, R3 would wait for a 10-75.

I have a older version of the OPS/REF so please advise if this policy has changed. Also, R3 has moved south of L27 on Washington Avenue so if still in effect it would now affect L's27, 19, and maybe 31 and 44. STARFIRE, however, seems to still have R3 responding 1st due on the box to their old assignments vicinity Tremont/Burnside Aves. Perhaps a little re-programming is in order?

The rule of thumb was that the Rescues were assigned First Due to boxes where they were closer than the First Due Truck, and of course there were some boxes that the Rescues were assigned to for a variety of reasons  E.G.    R5 used to be assigned on all boxes on Richmond Terrace,Rescue 2 is assigned to the Navy Yard Box ETC. I don't know if this holds true as I retired in 2004.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue 3 when it first moved back into the Bronx was only going on 15 boxes. There were additioal boxes that they should have been assigned to, but that is all that they were given.

When Rescue 5 was reorgainized, a fire dispatcher in Staten Island had them assigned to local boxes where they would have been closer then the 1st due truck. They were also assigned to what was considered to a high hazard locations. They did travel the entire borough.

Back in 2007 i did the tunnel to towers run, and spent two nights at a Rescue company in the city, the first night i think i picked a bad night.Apart from three first due runs, including an occupied elevator just round the corner from the house as the first due truck to the box was OOS, and getting flagged down en-route back to quarters twice for ems related incidents, nothing!! All night!! The second nght i spent there was a whole different kettle of fish lets just say that. ;)

JT