Runs & Workers 2012

Thanks for the stats.  E 248 and B 41 both #1 is OSW.  For the Battalion, 11th year in a row.  For the engine, second time at #1(1997).

With E63 seeing a high fire loading, do the Mount Vernon and Yonkers units get a look in on the action by crossing the border?

Is the high fire activity being experienced in the none FDNY Departments bordering E63s area? or does is it staying in the confines of the city limits??

JT

Having worked many years in the Wakefield area for the USPS, I can tell you that the southern part of Mount Vernon has had a high crime and fire load for the past 30 years. The "drug, crime & fire "element" has actually crossed the border south into the Wakefield, Eastchester area. Nearby S/E Yonkers neighborhoods are very stable and border Woodlawn which is a similarly quiet area.

Thanks Frank for providing us with this information that many of us follow very closely. It is much appreciated.

I still can not believe how much those northern Bronx Companies have picked up over the last few years.

And Johnd248's favorite continues to be a leader in the line up.

all hands is a more true number of the amount of fires a units goes to and how busy they are, am i correct? Because OSW's can include 10-26's.

JSG

All hands are definately a better indicator...Does anyone know how they are getting these numbers?  The numbers in the Runs and workers do not match those on the MIRS site (official number crunching site for internal FDNY matters)  Even the numbers in MIRS are questionable.  So...where does the All Hands number come from?

MP1234 said:
all hands is a more true number of the amount of fires a units goes to and how busy they are, am i correct? Because OSW's can include 10-26's.

An "all-hands" can be for multiple cars afire and haz mat spills.

Could be a brush fire or haz mat but 95% are working fires this is definitely the clearest indication of what a company is doing fire duty wise

Whether its "Runs", "OSW", or "All Hands", there's NOT too many companies across the Country doing what these FDNY Busiest companies are doing. As a buff, I still make the 120 - 130 mile trip to see the top ten or twenty in action.

I know this is a old post but I want to say that the 38 battalion was a hot spot for fire duty last year especially the trucks 

Chargin in 113,

You are correct, those BN 38 ladders do a lot of work. Probably stay that way until the neighborhoods come back. And there's another reason for it. There are a lot of single engine companies in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn's ratio of engines to trucks (E/T) approximates the FDNY traditional of 3/2 (61 E's, 39T's).  By comparison, up in the Bronx the ratio is almost 1/1 (30E/27T). Makes a difference.

There are only three single engines in the Bronx but 23 in Brooklyn. Bronx ladders run mostly the same due as their partner engine. In Brooklyn, ladders can go 1st, 2d or 3d due on a box where their engine doesn't go at all. That provides a lot more opportunities for the trucks to go to work.

The reason the ratios differ is that the Bronx was beefed up with truck companies during the War Years of the late 60's, early 70's, and all but one (L17-2) remain in service.

One could argue that the Bronx workload is actually higher and more spread out through the borough. 67% of Bronx engines (20/30) did more than 3800 runs  in 2012. That's better than 10 runs per day. In Brooklyn, its only 15% (9/61). (I am not counting squads.) That explains why Bronx engines disproportionately hog the top 50 list. Overall, they run more than Brooklyn.

I am taking nothing from the Brooklyn truckies. They do the work and deserve the credit. Just be careful with that machine dubh sent you.

"3511", we were discussing that very same subject at our most recent Get Together. I never gave that any thought, but that is a fact.

Another thing we were discussing is Engine 290. They have a very large first due response area. They are always at the top. They certainly deserve credit for the number of times they go out the door. Nobody can take that away from them. They've been at the top for as long as I can remember. But the reason being, they cover such a large area.

We were also discussing how over the years, some companies continue to be at the top for decades. Engine 75/Ladder 33 for an example. Their runs and workers started to pick up sometime in the early to mid 70s. Since then, it's been a steady pace.