Special Units Relocating

Welcome Back Darrell ...UGh

"Normally assigned Rescue is unavailable. One can be special called if needed"

Possible they aren't needed but a closer rescue would eventually free up. OR Rescue 5 Before sending Yonkers

Last edited:
This is more of a "what if". If R1, R2, R3, R4 are all on Boxes (lets say all 4 Rescues on seperate 10-75's). And theres a 10-75 in the Bronx towards the NYC/Yonkers City Line. Would R5 go or would 1 of the Yonkers Rescues go?
5 would be assigned

I get this is a joke, but I seriously don't know how to react to it besides the Haha emoji.

Yes Darrell, that is meant to be a joke by a respected member of this site (NYBravest82) who has been around here for awhile - since 2009.

Meanwhile, would you kindly follow up on the message I sent you a couple of weeks back.
I will resubmit it to you and I look forward to you following up on it.
Thank you.

Willy (NFD2004)

Welcome Back Darrell ...UGh

"Normally assigned Rescue is unavailable. One can be special called if needed"

Possible they aren't needed but a closer rescue would eventually free up. OR Rescue 5 Before sending Yonkers
That’s not in effect anymore ….they would send the next rescue on the “all hands doubtful” but now send them on the report of a 10-75 regardless.

Would dispatch not pull SOC companies from one job such as a fire to put them on a SOC job? I seem to recall hearing that Rescue 1 and Squad 18 were pulled from a fire in Manhattan to respond to the downed plane on the Hudson River......

the Incident commander is asked if they need the rescue or squad if a another job happens requiring a SOC unit .

Would dispatch not pull SOC companies from one job such as a fire to put them on a SOC job? I seem to recall hearing that Rescue 1 and Squad 18 were pulled from a fire in Manhattan to respond to the downed plane on the Hudson River......
You talking about the 2009 crash? Ik R1 and SQ18 we're on the Box. But I didn't hear about them getting pulled from a Job. There was a thread I read a while back about the crash, I read it before I made the account I just can't find it now.

You talking about the 2009 crash? Ik R1 and SQ18 we're on the Box. But I didn't hear about them getting pulled from a Job. There was a thread I read a while back about the crash, I read it before I made the account I just can't find it now.
That is correct, I am referring to the 2009 crash. It was related to me that at the time of the crash, Manhattan had a pretty good job going. Manhattan dispatch contacted both Squad 18 and Rescue 1, and pulled them from the job, and sent them to the Hudson. The story as related to me said that the brothers were not too happy about being pulled off of the job.....until they saw a jetliner lying in the river...... 😎

That is correct, I am referring to the 2009 crash. It was related to me that at the time of the crash, Manhattan had a pretty good job going. Manhattan dispatch contacted both Squad 18 and Rescue 1, and pulled them from the job, and sent them to the Hudson. The story as related to me said that the brothers were not too happy about being pulled off of the job.....until they saw a jetliner lying in the river...... 😎
I just looked through the Manhattan Threads, there was 5 Manhattan Jobs going on that day, 4 All Hands, 1 Second Alarms, R1 and SQ18 probably got pulled off of the Second.

I just looked through the Manhattan Threads, there was 5 Manhattan Jobs going on that day, 4 All Hands, 1 Second Alarms, R1 and SQ18 probably got pulled off of the Second.
1 of those incidents Box 602 came in a 15:05. R-1 went 10-8 at 15:20. The plane crash came in at 15:34.

So they weren't pulled from that incident.

Box 315 came in at 19:58 Rescue 4 was assigned at 20:00. R-1 most likely still operating at the plane crash.

All the other jobs came in at 00:27, 01:19 & 10:37

1 of those incidents Box 602 came in a 15:05. R-1 went 10-8 at 15:20. The plane crash came in at 15:34.

So they weren't pulled from that incident.

Box 315 came in at 19:58 Rescue 4 was assigned at 20:00. R-1 most likely still operating at the plane crash.

All the other jobs came in at 00:27, 01:19 & 10:37
Thanks!

I'm not FDNY, so anything that I say is obviously related to me second hand. However, it was related to me by someone who was in SOC at that time. It was noted that they were on the roof of a second alarm, and Manhattan Dispatch contacted the unit officer and told them that they needed to pull them off of the job, and to head towards the Hudson for reports of a plane in the water. I'm assuming both R1 and SQ18 were operating. I'm not sure why the times are off, and really the whole point of me relating the story as told to me, was to discuss whether FDNY Dispatchers would pull SOC units from a fire to put them on a special job. I would surmise that an experienced truck company could replace a SOC unit at a fire so the special units could operate at a specialized rescue incident such as the Hudson crash.

That 2nd Alarm was wrapped up around 13:00-13:30 The Plane crash came in around 15:30

There's a 2 hour gap between incidents