Still alarm districts

I an really confused with the assignment of still engine/truck. I monitor Boston having buffed BFD. My question is how they define still districts? I hear Boston dispathcing E-33 but L-26. L15 is with 33, 37 is with 26. Plus in BFD E41 has runs with L11. Really sounds confusing.

What is a "still" alarm ? I've heard it in different Dept's with different meanings.

A still alarm in the FDNY is a transmission for an engine company to investigate a fire that has previously occured and has been extinguished. I went to two of them in almost 40 years. The one I distinctly remember was for a mattress. As we pulled up to the address we could see a pretty good smoke condition on the second floor and an older woman scurrying around the bedroom. She had been afraid to report a true fire so she had said that it was a small fire that had gone out. The few glasses of water that she threw on the mattress created the smoke condition. We had to take over. I think that the dispatchers today will transmit the box on any report of a fire condition but maybe one of them can say for sure. I think that some departments use the term still alarm to denote what the FDNY calls a verbal alarm whereby a cililan comes to quarters to report a fire or a unit comes across a fire in their travels.

Generally speaking, I know "Still Alarms" to be a single unit response.

For example: When Providence, R.I. dispatches an Engine Co to a car fire they announce: Still Alarm for Engine 10, respond to a car fire at .......

Also "Still Alarm District" in some places is sometimes referred to as what the FDNY may refer to as "First due response area".

lucky said:
A still alarm in the FDNY is a transmission for an engine company to investigate a fire that has previously occured and has been extinguished. I went to two of them in almost 40 years. The one I distinctly remember was for a mattress. As we pulled up to the address we could see a pretty good smoke condition on the second floor and an older woman scurrying around the bedroom. She had been afraid to report a true fire so she had said that it was a small fire that had gone out. The few glasses of water that she threw on the mattress created the smoke condition. We had to take over. I think that the dispatchers today will transmit the box on any report of a fire condition but maybe one of them can say for sure. I think that some departments use the term still alarm to denote what the FDNY calls a verbal alarm whereby a cililan comes to quarters to report a fire or a unit comes across a fire in their travels.
...as lucky stated ...still alarms in the FDNY do not have the same meaning as other Depts.....basically in the FDNY they are a dead issue...originally they were designated to be for a Fire that was already extinguished & just to provide a report for insurance purposes....today anyone who comes into an FDNY quarters that i worked in & said "there was a fire but it is out" would result in us transmitting a verbal & having a full assignment respond to the location.....a civilians idea of "it is out" may be radically different depending on circumstances.....i know that other Depts use the term to mean other types of alarms or responses.

Grumps try this;

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/emba/fire.html

Might find on here what your looking for.

My basic understanding is a still alarm is an alarm/call restricted to first assigned companies to any given box, a box alarm is when its elevated from a 'still' to take in other units outside the 1st due companies, and becomes a 'box' alarm, or in some cities ie chicago a 'still and box'.

Thats my understanding of it anyways.

JT

JT has the answer.

Stills aren't used very much(to my knowledge anyway) in the FDNY, but in many some other departments, a Still Alarm can be either one or two companies notifying fire dispatch that they are responding to a call w/o being dispatched to it(like a verbal alarm or "walk-in" in the FDNY). Or, it is a minor call in which one or two companies respond to, such as a small fire or other minor incident.

Here's the break-down of a Still Alarm in Chicago:

In the Chicago Fire Department, a Still Alarm refers to the general response to a reported structure fire. A "Still" as it's called in Chicago gets 2 & 2 w/a Battalion Chief. If it's a job, the Still gets a Squad(CFD's version of Rescues), a Command Van, and a R.I.T. Response(1 Truck for R.I.T. and 1 Battalion Chief for the R.I.T. Chief, as well as an ALS Ambulance and an EMS Field Officer), thus, a Still Alarm job would get 2 Engines, 3 Trucks(1 for R.I.T.), 2 Battalion Chiefs(1 for R.I.T.), 1 Squad, and 1 Command Van. If the Squad is nearby the fire, it goes on the initial Still w/the 2 & 2 and the Chief.

A Box Alarm is different. It gets 4 & 2 w/a Chief and is not an upgrade from a Still. It is the assignment for a pull box activation near a high-risk area(i.e., nursing homes, hospitals, government buildings, etc.). It can be upgraded to a Still and Box if it actually turns out to be a fire.

There is also the Still and Box Assignment, which is requested by an officer on scene or can be dispatched by the Fire Alarm Offices on certain occasions. It is basically an upgrade of the Still, but technically, not a Working Fire. To my knowledge, if the Still is upgraded to a Still and Box, 2 additional Engines, a Tower Ladder, 2 additional Chiefs, a Deputy District Chief, a Squad, an Ambulance, a Command Vann, a OFI Unit(Fire Marshal), and an EMS Field Officer, thus, a Still & Box Assignment, w/o a R.I.T. Response gets 4 & 2, a Tower Ladder, 3 Battalion Chiefs, a Deputy District Chief, a Squad, an Ambulance, a Command Van, an OFI Unit, and an EMS Field Officer.

Finally, there is the High-Rise Still Assignment, the structure fire assignment for fires in high-rise buildings(obviously). It gets 4 & 4, 3 Battalion Chiefs, a Squad, an ALS Ambulance, and an EMS Field Officer. If not sure if it can be upgraded to a Still and Box, though, but it is not an upgrade of a normal Still.

I think I may have mis-stated my question. How are the stll alarm response areas defined. Like I said sometimes you hear E-33 dispatched but the truck is L-26, even with L-15 in quarters. And in District 11 you get E-41 but you also get L-11, even with L-14 in quarters. I understand all the alarm assignments, CFD 2 and 2, etc, I am just confused as to how you define their area. And to all thanx for the responses. And also my condolences to the families of the two members who made the supreme sacrafice. "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for another."

I think each individual company might have it's own first due, or still district. Maybe the box was in Engine 33's engine first due district, but it was also in Ladder 26's first due district, thus, Ladder 15, although quartered in the same house, wouldn't respond to the same first due district for stills as the engine would.

Many thanx for your response. But if the engine would get there first would not the truck (E33 vs L26) get there first. If L-26 is first due why not E-37 instead of 33. and L 15 instead of 33. I buffed in Boston so I know who is where. Maybe it is from the old days with the horses. It was just a thought I put up there.

mack

Administrator
This is Boston's dispatch system:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/emba/resp.html  (District Chief is equivalent of Battalion Chief;  note Engines and Trucks rotate med resposes monthly)

E 33 and L 15 respond together (same house), when available.  E 37 and L 26 respond together, when available.