SUPER PUMPER 1

^^^ Referring to the "SUPERPUMPER 1" lettering on the new Pumper.
Ok, all l can tell from photos & videos posted here, the " 1 " was added a while after delivery, and at some point the " SUPER PUMPER 1 " on the back end was changed to a non arch ... but no clue who did what where.

As a fireman in Engine 27 FDNY in the Early 1970s I was often detail to Satellite 1 in Manhattan, Part of the Super Pumper system. Satellite 1was then quartered in the old FDNY Medical Office that had been the quarters of Engine 30 on Spring St. This location is now the location of the FDNY Museum. Sometimes I drove sometimes and sometimes I rode as the 2nd man. In the early 1970s only 2 firefighters were on the satellites and when you got to the fire the Satellite had to be supplied by a Standard Engine Co, a Fireboat or by the Super Pumper Itself. We responded on any 2nd alarm in a large area, including Most of Southern Manhattan, Most Northern Brooklyn & Western Queens. On the 3rd Alarm 3 Satellites and also the Super Pumper & Tender responded anywhere in the city. Needless to say, we spent many long days and nights, responding to fires, as it was the "War Years" in the FDNY and there was plenty of Multiple alarms. I wish I had a dashcam and a video camara on the rig. to record all the large fires. It was tiring but also exciting. I even got behind the wheel of the Super Pumper itself a few times. Thank God the Super Pumper has been preserved in a Museum in the Midwest. Capt. Bob Rainey Engine 26 FDNY Retired

Attachments

• FDNY 4.5 Inch Intakes on Super Pumper Tender Cab.jpg
    FDNY 4.5 Inch Intakes on Super Pumper Tender Cab.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 26
  • FDNY 1954 Mack Sattelite Spare.jpg
    FDNY 1954 Mack Sattelite Spare.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23
  • FDNY 1965 Mack Sattelite.jpg
    FDNY 1965 Mack Sattelite.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 21
  • FDNY Origional satelitte1.jpg
    FDNY Origional satelitte1.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 20
  • superpumper tender at DOT.jpg
    superpumper tender at DOT.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 19
  • FDNY Retire Super Pumper.jpg
    FDNY Retire Super Pumper.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 24
  • FDNY Sat. 1 at 3-3 29 Trinity Pl. Manh..jpg
    FDNY Sat. 1 at 3-3 29 Trinity Pl. Manh..jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 27
  • FDNY super-pumper_drawings.jpg
    FDNY super-pumper_drawings.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 27
As a fireman in Engine 27 FDNY in the Early 1970s I was often detail to Satellite 1 in Manhattan, Part of the Super Pumper system. Satellite 1was then quartered in the old FDNY Medical Office that had been the quarters of Engine 30 on Spring St. This location is now the location of the FDNY Museum. Sometimes I drove sometimes and sometimes I rode as the 2nd man. In the early 1970s only 2 firefighters were on the satellites and when you got to the fire the Satellite had to be supplied by a Standard Engine Co, a Fireboat or by the Super Pumper Itself. We responded on any 2nd alarm in a large area, including Most of Southern Manhattan, Most Northern Brooklyn & Western Queens. On the 3rd Alarm 3 Satellites and also the Super Pumper & Tender responded anywhere in the city. Needless to say, we spent many long days and nights, responding to fires, as it was the "War Years" in the FDNY and there was plenty of Multiple alarms. I wish I had a dashcam and a video camara on the rig. to record all the large fires. It was tiring but also exciting. I even got behind the wheel of the Super Pumper itself a few times. Thank God the Super Pumper has been preserved in a Museum in the Midwest. Capt. Bob Rainey Engine 26 FDNY Retired
Catch any memorable jobs while detailed? I have a few videos of the SP working. One was a loft building fire off of Broadway in the late 70’s and at 2 warehouse jobs, one was the Raleigh warehouse off the west side and the other was the Gardner warehouse also off the west side highway

dan

Despite what you see posted here.....which is all rumor and gossip for the most part despite what certain people think......there is no official response policy or guidelines for use of this rig.......It will end up being utilized less then the original Superpumper......

Despite what you see posted here.....which is all rumor and gossip for the most part despite what certain people think......there is no official response policy or guidelines for use of this rig.......It will end up being utilized less then the original Superpumper......
The only thing confirmed is the 10-86 Response, they are debating if it will respond on 3rd or 4th alarms and even at all…. This rig is probably not even going to go inservice until next year anyway,

Bulldog

Bulldog
The only thing confirmed is the 10-86 Response, they are debating if it will respond on 3rd or 4th alarms and even at all…. This rig is probably not even going to go inservice until next year anyway,
Sounds like a good waste of taxpayers money!

As a fireman in FDNY in the early 1970s I was often detailed to Satellite 1 (of the Super Pumper System) then located in the old quarters of Closed Engine Co. 30 on Spring St. on Manhattan Lower West Side, now the location of the FDNY Museum. When they found out I was a U.S. Navy trained Diesel Mechanic and had a Tractor Trailer NY State License I drove the old Mack Super pumper a few times. I was a beast to say the least. very heavy I think it was 68,000 Pounds or more. With so many fires in the FDNY "War Years' 1965 to early 1980s you did alot of driving around NYC. The Super Pumper and Super Pumper Tender were assigned anywhere in all 5 NYC Boroughs on the 3rd Alarm along with 2 more Satellites. The 1st Satellite was assigned on the 2nd Alarm in it's assigned response area. Then as I said the remainder of the Super Pumper System (SP-1 Pump & Tender and 2 other Satellites responded on the 3rd alarm. Any or all of the units could be "Special Called" as need by the Incident Commanding Chief as he needed. It meant alot of sleepless nights on duty but I did go to some really big fires,. Often your would respond to an incident and be turned around just as you got near the incident or you would arrive be told to "Stand Fast" and really never be put to work. When you did get set up and go to work Wow it was something. Captain Bob Rainey "The Rainman" FDNY Engine 26 Retired

Thanks very much Captain its great to hear from anyone who worked on the Super Pumper. Mostly since any fire you responded to was usually a big job. It be great if you could share any of your good stories. Thanks again.

Just figured I would give an update on the Super Pumper. Looking like next year for Inservice. E260 will be the main transport only a hand full of members are trained on it at this time. E299 will not be the backup as they don’t want anything to do with it. Seems like a Manhattan Company will be a backup unit. Waiting on the floor to be replaced inside the firehouse of E260 to support the rig which is suppose to happen before end of the year, money is there just have to go out for bids. Foam 260 will be going to E238 not sure who the back up is yet. Foam 167 in Staten Island will be moved to a South Queens Company by JFK looking like E294 right now possible to change.

On another note 2 Decon Units are in the process to replace D37 and D283 as they are both OOS

Just figured I would give an update on the Super Pumper. Looking like next year for Inservice. E260 will be the main transport only a hand full of members are trained on it at this time. E299 will not be the backup as they don’t want anything to do with it. Seems like a Manhattan Company will be a backup unit. Waiting on the floor to be replaced inside the firehouse of E260 to support the rig which is suppose to happen before end of the year, money is there just have to go out for bids. Foam 260 will be going to E238 not sure who the back up is yet. Foam 167 in Staten Island will be moved to a South Queens Company by JFK looking like E294 right now possible to change.

On another note 2 Decon Units are in the process to replace D37 and D283 as they are both OOS
I have noticed that hydrants on 48 inch mains in Manhattan are now being painted red or repainted. Are these hydrants going to be designated for the Super Pumper ?

As a fireman in FDNY in the early 1970s I was often detailed to Satellite 1 (of the Super Pumper System) then located in the old quarters of Closed Engine Co. 30 on Spring St. on Manhattan Lower West Side, now the location of the FDNY Museum. When they found out I was a U.S. Navy trained Diesel Mechanic and had a Tractor Trailer NY State License I drove the old Mack Super pumper a few times. I was a beast to say the least. very heavy I think it was 68,000 Pounds or more. With so many fires in the FDNY "War Years' 1965 to early 1980s you did alot of driving around NYC. The Super Pumper and Super Pumper Tender were assigned anywhere in all 5 NYC Boroughs on the 3rd Alarm along with 2 more Satellites. The 1st Satellite was assigned on the 2nd Alarm in it's assigned response area. Then as I said the remainder of the Super Pumper System (SP-1 Pump & Tender and 2 other Satellites responded on the 3rd alarm. Any or all of the units could be "Special Called" as need by the Incident Commanding Chief as he needed. It meant alot of sleepless nights on duty but I did go to some really big fires,. Often your would respond to an incident and be turned around just as you got near the incident or you would arrive be told to "Stand Fast" and really never be put to work. When you did get set up and go to work Wow it was something. Captain Bob Rainey "The Rainman" FDNY Engine 26 Retired
I have some videos of it working at large fires in northern Brooklyn and southern Manhattan. Any memorable jobs you worked at?

But by then it will be a 3-year-old truck. How long will it last after that?

Catch any memorable jobs while detailed? I have a few videos of the SP working. One was a loft building fire off of Broadway in the late 70’s and at 2 warehouse jobs, one was the Raleigh warehouse off the west side and the other was the Gardner warehouse also off the west side highway