Super Pumper Car 530

In the Super Pumper System there was the three Satellites and a Car 530. Anybody know what or who that Car 530 was ? Somebody on another site was asking and I don't remember it. I assume it was a boss.

Thanks.

It was the Officer of the system....the car also carried maps of water mains .

68jk09 said:
It was the Officer of the system....the car also carried maps of water mains .

Thanks very much for that info Chief. I'm going to pass it on.

There was one Lieutenant (Satellite Officer) and a driver who manned that car (later numbered car 633, car 762 and finally car 71.)  They responded to all 2-2s when a Satellite and/or the Super Pumper responded.  The wagon carried a manifold, same as the one carried on the Satellite.  The Satellite Officer was quartered with Satellite 1 in Manhattan.

Just to show my ignorance, what was the manning on the Super Pumper itself (with the tender)?  Seems like it couldn't have been very much  . . . neither tractor was a crew cab, and there was no place to ride the back step or the sides.  How about the Satellites? 

For each tour:

Super Pumper - 1 Lieutenant, 3 Firefighters (2 rode on the Tender)
Satellite 1, 2, 3 - 2 Firefighters/Satellite
Satellite Officer Car - 1 Lieutenant, 1 Firefighter

The Super Pumper Captain worked steady days and had a sedan assigned to him.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Another quick question about the system, what kind of helmet shield did the members have on their helmets?  Was it the same as a normal engine company or was it something special?  What numbers did they have on them?

Thanks, C'ville.

Bull:  Here's a quote of C'ville's post in another thread from last July:

According to my father, a former SPS Lt.:

Firefighters had black inserts that stated: SUPERPUMPER or SATELLITE 1, 2 or 3

Officers had white frontpieces with a double (Captain) Stang Monitor (deckpipe) decal or single decal for Lieutenants.  Officers assigned to the Superpumer had SUPERPUMPER lettered in white on a black background in the center, their rank in across the bottom like other officers.  The Lieutenants assigned as the Satellite Officer, had the same frontpiece, with SATELLITE lettering.  Hope this helps!

Thank you for all the info. Somebody asked the question who was Car 530 in the FDNY Super Pumper System on another fire department web site. I didn't know but I had an idea of where I could get that answer. I got the answer plus many other details along with it.

Thank you very much.

Very interesting, I never knew that officer's assigned to the SPS had their own cars. Thanks for sharing, guys.