Tallest Aerial Ladder in North America

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 9.54.49 AM.png

E-One claims That Jackson MI Truck 5 is the tallest aerial ladder in service in North America at 137'. There are Aerial Platforms which are taller but this is a straight stick. Interestingly, the piped waterway and remote nozzle only go to the 100' level.

View attachment 33586

E-One claims That Jackson MI Truck 5 is the tallest aerial ladder in service in North America at 137'. There are Aerial Platforms which are taller but this is a straight stick. Interestingly, the piped waterway and remote nozzle only go to the 100' level.
Beg to differ but Chicago Aerial Tower 8 is also 137'. They are quartered with Engine Company 28.

It appears they made a correction on their official site, they now state the CR 137 is North America's tallest aerial ladder.

A department on the east side of Cleveland has one of those 137’ E-One’s. Crazy part is they don’t really have the high rise need for it, but they have it.

RCL

View attachment 33586

The Bronto Skylifts, which exceed I think 135' aren't NFPA compliant and can't be counted as an inservoce unit. Not sure where the difference between being NFPA or not is.

The Bronto Skylifts, which exceed I think 135' aren't NFPA compliant and can't be counted as an inservoce unit. Not sure where the difference between being NFPA or not is.
Yes the Bronto’s so in some cases exceed 137. Some are up to 174 feet

RCL

Yes the Bronto’s so in some cases exceed 137. Some are up to 174 feet
They do but at some point I remember I think at 1 point they made 1 over 200'. Not much info on E Ones site. NASA has 1 or 2 of those to change lightbulbs out at the pads, or they did. Not sure if they still have them.
The main drawback ( of several that i know of from looking at them) of the Brontos, and this is first hand from someone I know who works on one, is the lack of support from Bronto. Takes fleet forever to troubleshoot the aerial systems and get the parts to fix it. And it's not fleet it's getting info and parts back from Finland. They spend almost as much time in a spare as they do there 114. Ive heard the same thing 2nd hand from other departments that run them. And Reedy Creek bought 2 of them. 1 as a truck company which is 114 and the other as a monorail rescue unit.i think that 1 is a 135.

Back in 2003 we looked at the possibility of purchasing a Bronto. I was directed to contact every department in US that had a Bronto and ask them about their experiences with the product. At the time there were a little over 20 departments with one. Almost all of them back then described very much the same things you described above. HIGH MAINTENANCE and lack of support. A lot more than typical aerial platforms and tower ladders. The electrical system was a 24 volt, the hardware all metric, a nightmare web of over 3 dozen microswitches, extensive relays, lack of support and a long lead time on parts being shipped from Europe. These were red flags to us and we continued to purchase American made aerials and platforms.

Last edited:
The question is if it was to be in Manhattan where would it be at? L20? Has to be something with not a lot of turns that can go North and South from quarters

Back in 2003 we looked at the possibility of purchasing a Bronto. I was directed to contact every department in US and ask them about their experiences with the product. At the time there were a little over 20 departments with one. Almost all of them back then described very much the same things you described above. HIGH MAINTENANCE and lack of support. A lot more than typical aerial platforms and tower ladders. The electrical system was a 24 volt, the hardware all metric, a nightmare web of over 3 dozen microswitches, extensive relays, lack of support and a long lead time on parts being shipped from Europe. These were red flags to us and we continued to purchase American made aerials and platforms.
One of the chiefs who was on Gettin Salty has mentioned on the show that they had tested one. He didn’t really go into detail as to why they didn’t get one, but I could imagine narrow streets and apparatus jockeying played a part. New superpumper you can park blocks away in theory depending on what it’s going to be utilized for at a fire.

RCL

The wheel base on a 135 e one aerial, is actually longer then a 116 Bronto. The aerial is 245 and the Bronto 230 inches.
What sets a 114/116 Bronto apart from say a comparable 100' platform, is horizontal reach. The Brontos will only go 88 feet horizontal compared to up to 92 feet for a comparable rear mount aerial platform.
A comparable E One 100' rear mount platform has a jack spread of 15'6" while the Brontos 116 is 19' so that's another big factor to consider. A comparable E One 100 aerial is 12'6" jack spread. Realistically, it's not getting a Bronto to the scene in most cases. It's setting the thing set up that's a headache.

Oddly enough, I can't find any mention of Brontos on E Ones web site. Other then the NH and RC deliveries that are a few years old.

Often, an apparatus manufacturer will put a model that is not doing well, or becoming a liability, or has gained a reputation as a problem riddled apparatus - to its death via a slow process of not advertising it anymore and telling its sales people not to push it but sell it if a repeat customer absolutely insists - until it’s faded away. Some examples : the Pierce SKYARM, it’s answer to compete with the Bronto (the last 20 foot section of the aerial platform ladder articulated downward and the bucket could rotate up to 30 degrees left or right off main access (died a slow death after never catching on). Pierce ALL STEER - I don’t know if they will still sell this option whereby the rear axles turn much like a tiller would via a on off switchable computer. I was told a few years ago that after years of hot and heavy advertising, Pierce would only sell this option to a customer who already had an All Steer ( reportedly big issues with reliability, lawsuits from accidents via civilian plaintiffs going after deep pockets, etc). The Pierce JAVELIN - a pumper with a mid mounted engine. The Pierce PACK MULE - a hydraulic hosebed that could be lowered for easier packing. The E-one HUSH and HUSH 2 pumpers - rear mounted engines that had issues with vehicle weight balance, engine access for mechanics and very limited hose bed options. Spartan STEALTH cab, it’s version of a mid mounted engine pumper, Young Fire Apparatus ( no longer in business ) bus style air operated cab bi fold doors. And there are others. Manufacturers being innovative and competitive only to find out that the new product either was not received well by the fire service, or had very limited application, or was rife with reliability problems, or became a legal liability, or was high maintenance. And, in other cases, once extremely popular models gradually become less and less desirable among customers - case in point the Pierce QUANTUM CAB, which is currently being phased out.

The wheel base on a 135 e one aerial, is actually longer then a 116 Bronto. The aerial is 245 and the Bronto 230 inches.
What sets a 114/116 Bronto apart from say a comparable 100' platform, is horizontal reach. The Brontos will only go 88 feet horizontal compared to up to 92 feet for a comparable rear mount aerial platform.
A comparable E One 100' rear mount platform has a jack spread of 15'6" while the Brontos 116 is 19' so that's another big factor to consider. A comparable E One 100 aerial is 12'6" jack spread. Realistically, it's not getting a Bronto to the scene in most cases. It's setting the thing set up that's a headache.

Oddly enough, I can't find any mention of Brontos on E Ones web site. Other then the NH and RC deliveries that are a few years old.
Good post RCL. Very informative

In reply to RCL, NFPA 1901 requires a minimum of 115 ft of ground ladders for aerial apparatus, 85 ft for a quint.

RCL

In reply to RCL, NFPA 1901 requires a minimum of 115 ft of ground ladders for aerial apparatus, 85 ft for a quint.
I think it had to do with storage ability. From the pictures I remember seeing, the units over 135 didn't have any storage or very little. So it may well have been no ground ladder storage that killed them. They also had a 2nd steer axle which changes a lot of things. Including crew cab options and storage.