The HIGH Ladder

Greetings Guys and Gals---I was hoping if there was someone still alive  who ever experienced going up to the top of the High Ladder (Ladder 14 ? )  way back in the day....I was told it was 140 feet fully extended !!  Is that possible ???  ( Supposedly  3 men wide at the bottom and 18 inches wide at the top ! )  If anyone has that famous WNYF cover photo from the sixties with the Ladder fully extended at a Jewish Seminary job in Harlem, please post it..I think the younger members would be amazed !!  Whoever has history on it should please post...Thanks !

I remember the High Ladder Unit (L 24). I think later, wasn't that rig used for one of the TCU Ladder Cos.

According the "Wheels of the Bravest" on page 144 there is a pix and info.This was FDNY's first purchase of rear mounts aerials with the purchase of 2 146' 7 section Magirus aerials mounted on Mack "C" model chassis. They were originally assigned to Ladder Co's 13 and 24 but were redesignated as seperate units known as High Ladder Units 1 and 2.  :)

50 meter (around 162 ft) ladders are not all that unusual in Europe and in other places around the world.  In fact, Magirus now makes a 60 meter (around 195 ft) ladder, mounted on an Iveco chassis (link below).  Biggest difference between these ladders and those commonly used in the US is the strength of the ladder, and the purposes for which they are used.  In Europe (Londonguy, correct me if I'm wrong), they're used primarily for rescues and to get firefighters up to where they need to be . . . but NOT for poking out windows, etc., and especially not for water streams.  They're much lighter weight, and cannot handle the kind of loads that our overbuilt ladders can.

http://www.iveco-magirus.de/index.cfm?id=21

mack

Administrator
Ladder 119 was special called to the Jewish Theological Seminary fire (WNYF cover photo above), April 18, 1966.  Members opened up the 11th floor windows and balcony doors.  The ladder pipe was used to extinguish fire
visible through the 11th floor windows.

FDNY Highladder:

Another picture of the Bronto:

Click on picture to enlarge.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
From what I can remember, one of the rigs was assigned to Eng 324 during the World's Fair.

When they first arrived in NYC, they were shown off at City Hall for the media & the mayor. There was a movable platform on them.
So FD place a guy up on the platform to show off & the platform got stuck over the 100 foot mark. So the second ladder
was raised to rescue the firefighter. The platforms were removed afterwards.

After a while they became special units (High Ladders 1 & 2) & were second pieces.

raybrag said:
50 meter (around 162 ft) ladders are not all that unusual in Europe and in other places around the world.  In fact, Magirus now makes a 60 meter (around 195 ft) ladder, mounted on an Iveco chassis (link below).  Biggest difference between these ladders and those commonly used in the US is the strength of the ladder, and the purposes for which they are used.  In Europe (Londonguy, correct me if I'm wrong), they're used primarily for rescues and to get firefighters up to where they need to be . . . but NOT for poking out windows, etc., and especially not for water streams.  They're much lighter weight, and cannot handle the kind of loads that our overbuilt ladders can.

http://www.iveco-magirus.de/index.cfm?id=21

Yes, you are right! Here in europe the ladders were mostly used for rescues, but also for exterior attacks, if the FD need it. (roof fires etc.)