The War Years

I read in one of the books that the Soundview section of the Bronx had 970 or so commercial and residential buildings in 1970. In 1980 there were only 45 or so left standing. When I was promoted  to BC in 1976 I was assigned to the 10th Battalion on East 85th street which covered the East side from 59th street to 103rd street. If an arsonist had burned down 9 or 10 buildings in this area a Task Force would have been established by the authorities with blaring headlines in the local papers, as it should have been. Why 900 buildings in Soundview and nobody cared? An example of this would be Gasoline Gomez. Gomez, a name given to him by the brothers, would "hit" every 7 to 10 days or so in 82's area, mostly around Charlotte Street. He would hit on night tours. Always around 1900 or so we would get a small rubbish fire 1st floor rear of a vacant or partially vacant residential building. Then around 2300 we would get another rubbish fire either same building or one close by. Then around 0300 or 0400 we would get 3 or 4 floors going in one of these buildings. This went on for at least a year. I can still remember BC Powell (RIP) pleading with an older Irish couple who lived in one of these building after the 2300 fire saying that there would be a serious fire later that night and we may not be able to save them. They had lived in this building for 40 years, were the last occupants now, lived on the top floor. The couple were most resistant because they had 5 or 6 dogs and said that they wouldn't be able to take them with them so they would not leave them. BC Powell was able thru the Red Cross to relocate the couple with their dogs. Around 0400 we had 4 floors going in the building front to rear, side to side. Every Gomez fire we had, the 1900, 2300 and 0300 fire, the 10-41 would be transmitted. Charlotte Street at this time looked somewhat like Berlin in 1945. How hard would it have been for several marshals to set up on a roof near a "tickle" building and wait for the guy carrying the gas can in the street at 0300? The Charlotte St. assignment (box 2743) at that time was 82,85,45,31,59,Sq 2, B27,D9. A lot, lot of the brothers paid a heavy price responding to these fires. Three of the members written about in Smith's book, Bill Kelly, Vinny Joyce had very short retirements 2 or 3 years, Willy Doyle died of a heart attack in qtrs., Gomez gasoline. Gomez would use gasoline usually in rear rooms of the buildings so that we could not use the towers initially.

Nothing was ever done about Gomez until the Lord had enough. After one of his fires the guys were overhauling throwing the debris out a rear window. The debris lit up and a line was stretched to put it our. While operating the line a moan was heard underneath the debris. Gomez had blown himself out a rear window I believe on the 3rd floor as that was where the gas can was found. Badly burned with broken bones he survived. Arrested he went to trial but beat the case by stating that he only went into the building to light a cigarette, woke up in the hospital. Gomez was never heard from again, as far as I know. So the question would the city have allowed 900 Yorkville buildings, Gracie Mansion lets say, burned down?

Thanks for mentioning the Fire Alarm Dispatchers. I worked out of the Bronx CO
from 1969 thru 1979 as Disp 182. I also rode with E92 when time permitted.
I have two stories that come to mind.
Working a midnight shift somewhere just after midnight Oct 24 1976.I took a ERS call for a fire 1003 Morris Ave - Puertorican Social Club. The person that activited the ERS box
stated there was fire showing from the second floor and many people trapped some were jumping out of windows. As I was Writing up the ticket the phones all lit up. Ticket on the way to the decision Disp.I then called engine 92 to take a look down the street the firemen on watch confirmed he saw fire showing , Second floor. As we transmitted the box Rescue 3 was special called and all units notifed of many reports of People trapped. This fire went to a second alarm and 25 killed, fire set by arsonist, club had only one staircase.

Many times the FF of Engine 92 had asked me to ride with them on a July 4 evening.
Well I don't recall which year It was that i finally did have the night off and decided to
ride with the engine. Thing actually started out on the quiet side. We had one or two runs
were able to get dinner in. Around 10pm things started to pick up all over the city.
I think it was around 11:15pm we were special called to a phone alarm where we would
have responded on the 3rd alarm. But since there were several fires already, some
all hands a second alarm and Third Alarm just in the Bronx alone.  We were assigned
Second due, the response was 2 and 1 with Batt 17. Every borough was extremely
busy. As we responded I was able to here over the radio that they have received several
call of fire on the top floor. Batt 17 requested a full assigment , Bronx Disp said they will do there best but there was no one currently available. It took us at least 25 minutes to
arrive at the building address and sure enough there was fire top floor. Batt 17 called the Bronx Disp and again requested a full assignment fire had extended into the cockloft of a H type building. Bronx Disp again said no one available other then the City island Engine and Truck which don't leave the island. Just then we all heard Chief of Dept O'hagan
get on the radio and told the Bronx Disp to tell Batt 17 that they are to hold that fire with
what they have and not to expect any additional help. Needless to say thats exactly what they did. Fire was put out , fire stoped , never crossed the H. No one hurt. We returned to qtrs around 4am. washed up and out the door again. Thing finally calmed down around 6am. Just amazing what the FF of the FDNY can do !!! They were then and are now the best !

"Maxima2012", I think I remember hearing you while you were a dispatcher. You would always end the transmission with "One Eighty Two at #### hrs". I don't know if that's any help in describing you but I can hear you in my own mind as it was.

Also the fatal fire you talk about on Morris Ave. I remember riding with Engine 92 about a week after that fire. The building was a few blocks south of their firehouse. Maybe 165/166 St. On the way back from the run, they pulled the rig over to show me the building. The metal canopy in front was all bent from people jumping into it.

******* said:
Bill, You mention the FAST Truck concept. Around 1991 there was a 3 alarm fire in a 2 story Bx taxpayer. First floor had stores second floor was a ballroom type occupancy which covered the entire floor. During the fire there was a partial ceiling/floor collapse over the store of origin. A firefighter's body was found in the collapse, FF Al Ronaldson, Rescue Company 3. It was not know if Ronaldson had rode the collapse down or fell into the floor hole. The field communications unit responded on the 2nd alarm. The Lieutenant in the FC unit, Puggy Walsh, on arrival exited the rig and did a walk-around the fire building for his size-up. As Puggy started his walk-around he heard the collapse occur with HT chatter calling attention to it. A few minutes later as he was going around he heard someone call his name in a greeting. When he looked up he saw it was Ronaldson at a 2nd floor window waving hello, as they were friends. A few minutes later he heard the mayday for "firefighter down." Ronaldson had fell into the collapse hole.

The FDNY was given a violation by the Federal OSHA bureau citing Ronaldson's death. I attended the meeting as Manhattan/Bronx Commander at that time. Meeting was held in the 8th floor conference room. On the FDNY side was the COD,Cof Ops, boro commanders, safety. On the OSHA side was a middle age lady from OSHA with a chief officer from a small mid-western town. After the collapse Ronaldson's Lt. called him on the HT to check on him, no answer. The Lt. called a second time then went to look for him when the mayday came over the HT. The OSHA lady said that the FDNY was in violation as a mayday should have been declared when the Lt. could not reach Ronaldson the first time with all units withdrawn from the building and a roll-call taken. We said you can't do that as it is a normal occurrence for HT response not be returned due to noise in the area (saws etc.), not turned on, to low volume etc. To withdraw units from a fire scene for this reason will just allow for fire spread creating additional dangers for the members. At that time the FDNY had what was called "Firefighter Assist Team" units, engine companies special called if the incident commander thought needed. I myself had never special called a FAT unit.

To satisfy the violation it was agreed that with every working fire, all-hands or higher, a truck company would be mandated, special called to the scene for firefighter search/rescue as/if needed. I myself argued against it as I felt this would only strip other neighborhoods of trucks, what did this woman know? Fortunately myself and some others were overruled and the FAST truck was born. The FAST truck concept is probably standard now throughout the USA. Al Ronaldson has saved many firefighter lives and will continue to do so today and everyday.
I was the roofman on the first due truck at this fire. If I remember correctly, the 'MAYDAY' was given shortly after it seemed like the units operating had gotten a handle on the fire. Another tragic and sad night for the FDNY.

nfd2004 said:
"Maxima2012", I think I remember hearing you while you were a dispatcher. You would always end the transmission with "One Eighty Two at #### hrs". I don't know if that's any help in describing you but I can hear you in my own mind as it was.

Also the fatal fire you talk about on Morris Ave. I remember riding with Engine 92 about a week after that fire. The building was a few blocks south of their firehouse. Maybe 165/166 St. On the way back from the run, they pulled the rig over to show me the building. The metal canopy in front was all bent from people jumping into it.

nfd2004

You have it correct. I would always sign off with "One Eighty Two at #### hrs"
I only wish I could find some recorded audio from my days at the Bronx CO.

The city was broke those years and the brass did everything they could to hold down the unit numbers to avoid second sections etc. I remember one night tour at a job the DC tells me that they just received a call from the boro that by orders of FC/CoD O'Hagan they are forbidden to transmit a multiple for any vacant building fire. My next day tour, a busy one, we get a fire in a vacant H type a few blocks from qtrs. We start on the first floor knocking down two or three rooms, same on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. After knocking down the 4th floor I go up to the top (5ht) floor. I see we have heavy fire in two apartments most likely the cockloft. My guys bring the line up and I tell them to put it down and follow me down to the street. We come out of the building and I see that the A wing we were in the top floor is fully involved with the B wing having fire on all floors. The same DC is in the street. I tell him that we knocked down fire on 4 floors but "we have had it and either we get R&R or we will have to tap out." He says take an hour and we walk back to qtrs. Fire goes to a 3rd. Nothing more heard about no multiples for vacants.

******* said:
The city was broke those years and the brass did everything they could to hold down the unit numbers to avoid second sections etc. I remember one night tour at a job the DC tells me that they just received a call from the boro that by orders of FC/CoD O'Hagan they are forbidden to transmit a multiple for any vacant building fire. My next day tour, a busy one, we get a fire in a vacant H type a few blocks from qtrs. We start on the first floor knocking down two or three rooms, same on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. After knocking down the 4th floor I go up to the top (5ht) floor. I see we have heavy fire in two apartments most likely the cockloft. My guys bring the line up and I tell them to put it down and follow me down to the street. We come out of the building and I see that the A wing we were in the top floor is fully involved with the B wing having fire on all floors. The same DC is in the street. I tell him that we knocked down fire on 4 floors but "we have had it and either we get R&R or we will have to tap out." He says take an hour and we walk back to qtrs. Fire goes to a 3rd. Nothing more heard about no multiples for vacants.
And there was no "thank you" or "good job" mentioned I bet.

jbendick

Administrator
                  Maxima 2012,  The fire was on the 4th of July night tour in 1969 just pass midnight. The box was transmitted on orders of Car 5 Chief of Dept. O?Hagan for a fire in vacant 6 story ?H? at  Westchester and Home St.  He was traveling on the Sheridan Exwy to one of the multiplies working in the Bronx.  He ordered that a full 1st. alarm assignment of 3 and 2, and to hold at that level.
I was on watch listening to the dept. radio in 96 Engine when the box came in. We normally did not respond over the moat at Westchester Ave.  We responded via Bruckner Blvd and were able to see that there was fire in every window of one wing of the ?H?.
Upon arrival  Batt. 17 order us to drop two large lines as this was to be an outside operation. We were forced to find a remote hydrant which was about 15 lengths down Whitlock Ave. After we had hooked up and returned to the fire bldg., he decided on and interior attack on top fl. Not dropping off our masks and the distance the rig was away, we operated on top fl. for 6 hrs. without them.
The aide in the 17th tried to transmit a 2nd Alarm.  He was told to clear air for emergency transmissions. He told the disp. ?this is an emergency there is fire out 27 windows? and he hadn?t checked the rear yet. We wound up with us and 36 Trunk the only ones on the top fl. We were able to keep the fire in our wing.  Did not know where the other units were operating.
O?Hagan returned to the scene and special called Tower Ladder 1. But he also waved off relief companies and we continued working after taking a break to get some O2. Got back to qtrs. about 7 am went home at 9 to come back for another 6 by 9.tour

Was gasoline Gomez's work area referred to as gasoline alley?  Or is that a whole other story in and of itself?

truckman said:
Was gasoline Gomez's work area referred to as gasoline alley?  Or is that a whole other story in and of itself?
I always heard the area of Third Ave, Bathgate Ave and Washington Ave from the Cross Bronx expy south to Claremont Pkwy was referred to as "Gasoline Alley."

fdce54 said:
truckman said:
I always heard the area of Third Ave, Bathgate Ave and Washington Ave from the Cross Bronx expy south to Claremont Pkwy was referred to as "Gasoline Alley."

Frank, I've heard that too. But now I hear they refer to it as "The Bathgate Industrial Park". If I remember, there is a short view of "Gasoline Alley" and how it was in the movie "Fort Apache the Bronx". It shows part of a burned out church as seen among the rest of the burned out block. Third Ave, between the Cross Bronx and Claremont Pkwy, I think.

mack

Administrator
Gasoline Gomez:  https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1299&dat=19750623&id=8tNHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q4wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6049,6736815&hl=en

mack

Administrator
    One of the worst arsonists during the War Years in NYC was David Berkowitz, aka "Son of Sam", the serial killer who terrorized the city in 1977.  He is serving a life sentence for 8 shootings.  It is usually unknown that this guy was also an arsonist who had a log of starting over 1400 fires in 1977. 

1400 fires recorded in his log - many, many more assumed to be unrecorded.

thumbnailfb.jpg

bbbrd.jpg

In his arson log book found by police, he listed:  date, box number, boro, location, extent of fire and other details.  He even noted the type of box (ERS) and FDNY signal codes.  This looks like a battalion run log from 1977.

normalarsonlog.jpg

The guy used to sit there and watch jobs to record fire details.  Arson was common and attracted little attention back then.

pict7.jpg

article13595310d4f49de0.jpg

Berkowitz arrest.

Background information:  Birth name Richard David Falco Also known as The Son of Sam and The 44 Caliber Killer

Born June 1, 1953 (1953-06-01) Brooklyn, New York
Conviction 6 life sentences (365 years in prison)
Killings Number of victims: 6 killed, 7 wounded
Span of killings 29 July 1976?31 July 1977
Date apprehended 10 August 1977

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/david-berkowitz-1#ixzz1TaxCfpoZ
40487f520.jpg

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddavid%2Bberkowitz%2Bcar%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch&w=415&h=550&imgurl=thealistchannel.com%2Fraw%2Fimages%2FLETTER_TO_DAILY_NEWS.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthealistchannel.com%2Fraw%2Fdavidberkowitz.html&size=37KB&name=the+car+where+on...&p=david+berkowitz+car&oid=80b61c66fd955a4fda25f6049e2e9dc6&fr2=&no=15&tt=158&sigr=11ihgllkj&sigi=11nqf5l2h&sigb=12k8gc7te&.crumb=6feyl2m.gqX
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Ddavid%2Bberkowitz%2Bcar%26b%3D22%26ni%3D21%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26xargs%3D0%26pstart%3D1&w=195&h=366&imgurl=judey.dasmirnov.net%2Fberkowitz4.png&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjudey.dasmirnov.net%2Fdavid_berkowitz.htm&size=15KB&name=David+Berkowitz-...&p=david+berkowitz+car&oid=55e36e0a3741fa95af76065fd65c7203&fr2=&no=24&tt=158&b=22&ni=21&sigr=11el18ipg&sigi=112itfktn&sigb=13guqn1ul&.crumb=6feyl2m.gqX

If I'm not mistaken, Berkowitz worked with one of our own at the Post Office . . . I'll let you guess who (hint:  he also plays a mean guitar).

raybrag said:
If I'm not mistaken, Berkowitz worked with one of our own at the Post Office . . . I'll let you guess who (hint:  he also plays a mean guitar).
Yes, I've been too busy to make in-depth comments. I'm glad the "buff" part of his story was mentioned. Notice how Berkowitz put an asterisk on Bx. box 2245 @River Ave. & 151st St. That box was about 4 blocks from where he worked at the Bronx General Post Office. I wonder if he set that one? ::)

I don't think there was ever a tougher time in New York City than the FDNY War Years.

There was the huge staggering number of fires. The 44 caliber killer who called himself the Son of Sam. A city that was broke and had to lay off firefighters, police officers, and sanitation workers when they were needed most. A Blackout that probably resulted in more fires and arrest in the history of the city. The heart of Manhattan called Times Sq was mostly known for its X rated movies, prostitutes, pan handlers, drunks and drug pushers.

New York City had the kind of reputation that no one wanted to visit, except fire buffs who were drawn there from the outside.

I've said this before but one time when I brought a couple of firefighters to see what was going on, when we left there they said it was like they opened the gates and let us out.

I brought my wife down there just to show her what I do when I visit. We hadn't been there one hour and around Jerome and the Cross Bronx she said to me that she had seen enough. Her words to me were "Get me out if here" !! And she was from one tough area of Bridgeport, Ct. Ghetto areas didn't bother her until we hit that place.

To answer Truckman's question Gasoline Gomez was a person named so by the guys in 82/31. Gasoline alley was box 2323 Cauldwell and 160 named so by the Bronx dispatchers 1971-72. Was the busy box for a time, response was 50-1, 50-2, 73, 19, 42, Sq2, B55 and D6. As a Lt. in 50-1 visited the alley many times. July of 72 I believe we had 17 all-hands or higher at 2323 for the month. Dispatchers would come on the air and simply say "50 start out for gasoline alley" They were burning it out, another box where the city did nothing to stop the destruction. Came back to qtrs. from a 2nd one tour and as we were getting off the rig in front of qtrs. 2323 came in again over the bells. We looked over to the distant location and a large column of smoke could be seen, another 2nd for the relocating companies.  I remember one job where the guys were putting the line back and there was an elderly Hispanic gent standing there. I said to him "why are you letting them burn you out like this?" He actually said to me "we are going to get garden type apartments here." He was right, but it would be 20 years later.

nfd2004 said:
I don't think there was ever a tougher time in New York City than the FDNY War Years.

There was the huge staggering number of fires. The 44 caliber killer who called himself the Son of Sam. A city that was broke and had to lay off firefighters, police officers, and sanitation workers when they were needed most. A Blackout that probably resulted in more fires and arrest in the history of the city. The heart of Manhattan called Times Sq was mostly known for its X rated movies, prostitutes, pan handlers, drunks and drug pushers (Sounds more like Congress).

New York City had the kind of reputation that no one wanted to visit, except fire buffs who were drawn there from the outside.

I've said this before but one time when I brought a couple of firefighters to see what was going on, when we left there they said it was like they opened the gates and let us out.

I brought my wife down there just to show her what I do when I visit. We hadn't been there one hour and around Jerome and the Cross Bronx she said to me that she had seen enough. Her words to me were "Get me out if here" !! And she was from one tough area of Bridgeport, Ct. Ghetto areas didn't bother her until we hit that place.