THROWBACK THURSDAY

Hello Troops, I thought I might add a new feature to the History thread. Before the "War Years" as we came to know it, NYC and the boro's had a unique style in the 60's. Before the raging fires, the calm before the storm, many parts of the City began to exhibit the profound grittiness that made it attractive and cool. Great car styles, powerful fire apparatus, open hydrants, abandoned vehicles, etc all contributed to a special time. I thought it would be fun to capture some vintage photos of that era and pass it on for nostalgia and comments. Please feel free to add your images and/or comments!

The introductory photo is from a nice site called East New York project. The photo is taken at the corner of Liberty and Bradford Street in East New York. Notice the timestamps at the gas station. When I look at the photo, I think I can hear the "ding-ding" at the Mobil station!

Jump in! Join the conversation, and remember..."a little dab-a do ya!"

Screenshot-2019-09-16-16-04-26-1.png

Cool post. I like to look at an old picture and then at what it looks like now and see how much has changed. If I'm not mistaken the pic you posted is on Liberty looking west, making the next street Wyona correct?

That's correct Kid! Below is the intersection today. Many of the structures remain except for the Mobil gas station. Here is another trivia question, besides the "ding-ding" when pulling into a gas station, there were two other seperate "dings" that could be heard at various times during the course of the day...

Screenshot-2019-09-19-14-06-25.png

JohnnyGage said:
That's correct Kid! Below is the intersection today. Many of the structures remain except for the Mobil gas station. Here is another trivia question, besides the "ding-ding" when pulling into a gas station, there were two other seperate "dings" that could be heard at various times during the course of the day...

Johnny, would it be maybe the "ding ding" of a fire bell on a fire truck back in the day. And maybe the ding-ding of the bells ringing out the signal or the box numbers in a nearby firehouse. Like maybe:

"ding, ding, ding, ding, ding (5 dings) - pause - ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding (7 dings) as in "5-7 signal", Engine and Truck Get Out. 

I remember when gas pumps would ding every time they hit another gallon.

CHECK OUT THE TIMESTAMP ALONG THE WALL AT THE MOBIL STATION...THE PHONE BOOTH!...and why do we still say, "DIAL" when we clearly do not anymore.

Also, back then you could call "collect" after dialing the operator, the operator would call the number you requested, when the party on the other side received your call the operator would ask "this is a collect call from JohnnyGage, do you accept the charge?". It was then up to the person receiving the call to either accept or reject the call. (Stunk when your younger brother would pick up the receiving end).

In the FDNY we could make a "Badge" call. Give the operator your badge number and she would place the call only to a FDNY number at no charge.

Plaid Stamps were invented by the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (otherwise known as the "A&P") in an effort to combat those awful S&H Green Stamps and boost sales.  I remember when they came into the A&P where I worked . . . around 1961 or so.  All the cashiers hated them. At first, they just gave the cashiers rolls of the different values (1, 5, 10 & 50) and they were kept loose in the drawer below the register.  Then,after about 6 months, they installed dispensers on the registers. Plaid Stamps were the first to be issued in denominations.  Before, S&H were only issued in "1 stamp" value, with 1 stamp issued for every 10 cents spent.  So if you spent $50 (one helluva big grocery order in 1961), you would get a fistful of stamps in an S&H store, or just ten 50's in the A&P.

Does anyone remember "Flying A" gas stations? In high school I worked Saturdays and summers at Jasper's Flying A in College Point. Folks used to come in and say "give me two dollars regular" and you wouldn't see them for another week. They used to give away game cards with fill-ups that were called "Flying Aces." It was a half of a card and if you matched them you won something, which I don't remember. The place had room for two vehicles, one lift and just a flat floor next to it. Did many oil changes and grease jobs. It was fun while it lasted, but then again, all the bygone days were fun when you were young.

memory master said:
Does anyone remember "Flying A" gas stations? In high school I worked Saturdays and summers at Jasper's Flying A in College Point. Folks used to come in and say "give me two dollars regular" and you wouldn't see them for another week. They used to give away game cards with fill-ups that were called "Flying Aces." It was a half of a card and if you matched them you won something, which I don't remember. The place had room for two vehicles, one lift and just a flat floor next to it. Did many oil changes and grease jobs. It was fun while it lasted, but then again, all the bygone days were fun when you were young.
One was down the block from my house, my father would get gas there and any work on the car, became a Getty station later.

turk132 said:
Didn't the air pumps to fill tires ding also!
Yes they used to ding as the pressure in your tire increased.....some you could set the pressure level ....others you had to watch carefully & often stop & use your pressure gauge....filling a car tire was not that challenging but you had to be careful with a smaller bicycle tire so you did not over inflate it a blow the tube....one day years ago i had came across a child's scooter someone was throwing out it had about 8" pnuematic tires ......it was old & the tubes did not hold air....i repainted it & got new inner tubes .....the tires were old & cracked but seemed ok....i repainted it & put the new inner tubes in & showed it to my young daughter .....she was very excited to try it out so i said lets go to the gas station & i will teach you how to fill the tires on it....i explained the process & handed her the chuck & told her to go ahead & fill up....she was hesitant so i took the chuck & shot some air in then showed her by squeezing the tire you could see the air was going in....i did not notice the pressure setting on the pump....she took the chuck & no sooner had it on the small tire when BOOM the tube as well as the tire ruptured with a loud bang that caused the people in the gas station garage to come running out....she was scared & there was a harmless cloud of talcum powder in the air from inside the new tube...(she was done with filling tires for about another 10 years until she got her license at 17)....i got another new tube & got the scooter rolling ....she had fun with it for a few years.....most service station air pumps today require money inserted but there is still one on Francis Lewis Blvd & 47 Ave in QNS that is still free...no dinging or pressure readout just a hose & chuck coming out the side of the garage.

Just for the Memory Master . . .

3879bc30477b470f9114153aa44d576c.jpg

memory master said:

Here you go Charlie!...how many of these bad boys did you go thru?...and usually oil cans were stacked up between the gas pumps.

All phone alarms went thru the Telco operator. If a street box went out of service, this sign was affixed to it.

Disp51 said:
All phone alarms went thru the Telco operator. If a street box went out of service, this sign was affixed to it.

It is possible that some of these signs are present on one of the constant OOS Pull Boxes around QNS & some parts of BKLYN....but whether they are or not they are rolling the dice.....they should not even dare to quote the "everybody has a cell phone B.S." ...does a young child escaping her burning home with her Family trapped inside at 0400 hrs in her pajamas have a cell phone with her ? ..... time to stop the give aways & fix the real infrastructure !

US Savings Stamps - We bought them at school (PS 114, Bronx), and then traded them in for a Savings Bond when we filled up the mounting card.
The image is from the listed website.
https://www.mysticstamp.com/Products/United-States/S1/USA/

JohnnyGage said:
memory master said:

Here you go Charlie!...how many of these bad boys did you go thru?...and usually oil cans were stacked up between the gas pumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlVVWImGd9E