US BUSIEST FIRE COMPANIES

mack

Administrator
8. FDNY L 43

L43 2.gif

LADDER 43 MANHATTAN
ORGANIZED 240 E. 111th St. At E-91 (Nov. 27, 1913)
NEW QUARTERS 1836 3rd Ave. At E-53 (Feb. 1, 1974)

E 53 fh 10.jpg

L43 1.gif

E 53 fh 20.jpg

E 53 fh 21.jpg

E 53 fh 22.jpg

L 43 FORMER QUARTERS 240 E. 111th ST AT E 91

1920 Harlem fire house construction.jpg

E 91 fh 1.jpg

L 43 APPARATUS

L 43 ap 4.jpg

Attachments

• L 43 ap 4.jpg
    L 43 ap 4.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 0

mack

Administrator
L 43 APPARATUS

L 43 ap 7.jpg

L 43 ap 22.jpg

L 43 4.gif

LODDs:

Thomas A. Bowler, Ladder 43, Manhattan box 1582, 1582 Madison Avenue, severe hand laceration, died from septic poisoning, injured January 2, 1934, died January 15, 1934

l_43_LODD_BOWLER.jpg

Lt Louis W. Finger, working Ladder 43/detailed from Engine 64, Manhattan box 1292, 64 East 104th Street, smoke poisoning, May 7, 1953

finfer e 64.gif

FF Julius Feldman, Ladder 43, Manhattan box 33-1405, 231-233 East 118th Street, blown out of 6th floor window while venting, August 31, 1953

feldman l 43.gif

1669827956127.png

Attachments

• E_53_LODDfinger_detail.jpg
    E_53_LODDfinger_detail.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 6
  • L_43_LODD_Feldman.jpg
    L_43_LODD_Feldman.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 7
  • L_43_LODD_feldman_2.jpg
    L_43_LODD_feldman_2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It would make an interesting road trip to count all the old and new firehouses within sight of York Road/Greenmount Avenue between downtown Baltimore and York, Pennsylvania (first Capital of the United States). I've got six before you get to the Mason-Dixon Line. You could probably do the same between Philadelphia and York.

It would make an interesting road trip to count all the old and new firehouses within sight of York Road/Greenmount Avenue between downtown Baltimore and York, Pennsylvania (first Capital of the United States). I've got six before you get to the Mason-Dixon Line. You could probably do the same between Philadelphia and York.
Of all things once upon a time I was hired as a firefighter in York, PA.

Could you get the Harley-Davidson firefighter discount?
No clue (although I know Harleys are made in York). I was hired a few months before New York gave me an offer and I turned it down with that hope in mind. Neat small job, lots of history in the firehouses, decent fire duty and I'm a big fan of their new engines.

If my math is correct they do 23 runs a day, every day average. And of these top 20 units 9 are in CA. I don't think those are busy fire suppression calls but mainly medical calls. And Chicago would have had 3 companies in that top 20 figure, E-113 and 93.But it seems every year this survey sparks all kinds of discussion.
For sure ems, car accidents, etc. I played golf with a brother from Broward County FD. & those guys are also EMS/Paremedic and he was telling me not a lot of fires he went to, but tons of ems & car accidents down there.

A Member of Ladder Company 26 (The Fire Factory) made a "grab" in the Projects behind the Firehouse on the morning of 911. He ultimately received a Class 3 Award for his efforts. Since Medal Day was cancelled the following June, he was never afforded the opportunity to be honored for these efforts with a department medal on Medal Day. But, as I told this Member, everyone knows what he did, and he saved someone's life. The ultimate compliment from other FDNY Firemen is, "he's a good Fireman". No more & no less...

Last edited:
A Member of Ladder Company 26 (The Fire Factory) made a "grab" in the Projects behind the Firehouse on the morning of 911. He ultimately received a Class 3 Award for his efforts. Since Medal Day was cancelled the following June, he was never afforded the opportunity to be honored for these efforts with a department medal on Medal Day. But, as I told this Member, everyone knows what he did, and he saved someone's life. The ultimate compliment from other FDNY Firemen is, "he's a good Fireman". No more & no less...
Thanks for getting that story correct.

On 9-11-01 Members of LAD*43 were involved with the removal of the Members who were trapped in the stairway at the WTC ....I thought my Father would be proud of his former Company then awhile later I realized he would not even know about the WTC as he had died years before they were built.

In the photo (several above) of the FH with the old car & a baby carriage in front I see the traffic on East 111 St is East to West....in the mid Fifties it was West to East & when I was on the block about a year ago it is now East to West again.....the 1933 Walter Wooden Aerial is the first Rig I remember riding on as a kid....I used to sit between my Father (who was the Chauffer) & the Officer......the later Rig the 1953 Metal American La France was a better Rig to ride on as it had the 2 jump seats but it was still uncovered making for a wet ride if it rained but I didn't care I just wanted to be there..... in the 2nd photo of the Walter's Rig with the back of a Chiefs Sedan on the left (probably the old 4th*DV who was in 91 at the time) ....43 is parked across from Qtrs in front of the little stores....the one with "Candy & Ice Cream" on the sign was "Louisa's" a small convenience type store ...the FH had a key & could go in after she was closed & get things & leave the money on the counter.....she remained there up into the 1990's........to the right of her was the Barber Shop where I used to get my hair cut as a kid.....the bldgs are still across the street but the stores are all gone today & have been made into apts.

I have always been impressed by how busy Ladder 43 was/is considering how small their response area is; Central Park to the southwest, the East River east, millionaires to the south, and the New York Central right up the middle.

Great observation about a great company, just wondering why millionaires don’t have a lot of fires. Must be much safer buildings!