Ward LaFrance rigs

When the WLF Firebrands went into service in1960 they were nicknamed "The Pagoda" by the firefighters because the cab looked like it had been designed in Chinatown. This was not a popular buy for the men. They felt it a step back in the quality of equipment, as they had with the purchase of the FWD wooden aerials in 1955. They preferred the C Model Mack's that had entered the job beginning in 1958.

G-man is correct in their use as replacements for the older rigs. E42 got one, retiring its 1941 Mack "L", which they had received from the factory and was still going strong after nineteen years of front line service. Some Firebrands replaced older WLF's (E40, up the street from my high school on Amsterdam Ave.) or the last of the 1947 "L"'s (E46, 82) still working in busy areas. After the Firebrands, I don't believe there were any more pre -war pumpers as front line rigs, although some remained as 2d piece hose wagons for a few years.

WLF's were never very popular among the firefighters. The pumpers and hose wagons of the late 1930's were considered to be junk, hard to steer and always breaking down. They were no match for the Mack and Ahrens-Fox models of that era. The post-WWII WLF's were considered "lightweights", less durable than the Mack "L" and "B"models and the American LaFrance cab forwards. In fact, they WERE lighter, with part of the body frame made of wood. Their redeeming feature was the booster tank, the first rigs in the FDNY to have them. No more hooking up and long stretches just to knock down a car, brush, or "EL" fire.

In fact, the 1950's WLF's proved quite durable. E79 had their 1951 model for eighteen years. Although located on the periphery of the Bronx' busy areas, that rig saw a lot of fire duty as 79 went south of Fordham Road and interchanged with E50.

The WLF CD pumper fleet was a lifesaver for the FDNY. Purchased by the federal government in the aftermath of WWII, they were supposed to augment the Department in case air raids like the London Blitz. With the development of jet aircraft, missiles, and nuclear weapons the concept was obsolete by the time the CD's arrived. They mostly sat around in quarters for a decade when they reverted to City ownership. By 1965, they were like horseshit in the old days, seen everywhere around the city as spares and even front line apparatus. They bridged the gap until the new Macks arrived in the late 1960's.

3511 said:
When the WLF Firebrands went into service in1960 they were nicknamed "The Pagoda" by the firefighters because the cab looked like it had been designed in Chinatown. This was not a popular buy for the men. They felt it a step back in the quality of equipment, as they had with the purchase of the FWD wooden aerials in 1955. They preferred the C Model Mack's that had entered the job beginning in 1958.

G-man is correct in their use as replacements for the older rigs. E42 got one, retiring its 1941 Mack "L", which they had received from the factory and was still going strong after nineteen years of front line service. Some Firebrands replaced older WLF's (E40, up the street from my high school on Amsterdam Ave.) or the last of the 1947 "L"'s (E46, 82) still working in busy areas. After the Firebrands, I don't believe there were any more pre -war pumpers as front line rigs, although some remained as 2d piece hose wagons for a few years.

WLF's were never very popular among the firefighters. The pumpers and hose wagons of the late 1930's were considered to be junk, hard to steer and always breaking down. They were no match for the Mack and Ahrens-Fox models of that era. The post-WWII WLF's were considered "lightweights", less durable than the Mack "L" and "B"models and the American LaFrance cab forwards. In fact, they WERE lighter, with part of the body frame made of wood. Their redeeming feature was the booster tank, the first rigs in the FDNY to have them. No more hooking up and long stretches just to knock down a car, brush, or "EL" fire.

In fact, the 1950's WLF's proved quite durable. E79 had their 1951 model for eighteen years. Although located on the periphery of the Bronx' busy areas, that rig saw a lot of fire duty as 79 went south of Fordham Road and interchanged with E50.

The WLF CD pumper fleet was a lifesaver for the FDNY. Purchased by the federal government in the aftermath of WWII, they were supposed to augment the Department in case air raids like the London Blitz. With the development of jet aircraft, missiles, and nuclear weapons the concept was obsolete by the time the CD's arrived. They mostly sat around in quarters for a decade when they reverted to City ownership. By 1965, they were like horseshit in the old days, seen everywhere around the city as spares and even front line apparatus. They bridged the gap until the new Macks arrived in the late 1960's.
Thanks 3511, those 1950's Waukesha engine WLF's were notorius for their noisy exhausts but they were fast and maneuvered the city streets very well. Booster tanks leaked and '51 & 52 WLF deck guns had no elevating wheel so members had to improvise when they had to keep it in a set position for an extended time. I remember back in 1962 Memorial Day 4th alarm (box 2164) where E-41 used a black Scott suitcase as a support and tied the deckpipe to it. Those deck guns were not pre-piped to the pump so they had to carry short lengths to run from a discharge outlet to the deck gun siamese.

Right again, as always gman. I remember those deck pipes, no wheel and no chrome either. Were'nt they painted red? Those WLF's were barebones; not even a MARS light. But they were fast, loud, and had one hell of a siren, made by Sireno (of Staten Island i think) that was the highest pitch of any the Department ever had.

E82 received their 1960 WLF Firebrand on 9/28/60.  It was in service until 82 got one of the first Mack CF's (#1072, but maybe not the first one put in service) in early Dec. 1968.  That means that the WLF was at 82 for [i]8 years.[/i] During that time here are the Runs for 82, starting in 1961: 2648, 2733, 3051, 4612, 5137, 6234, 6659, 9111.  The last year, 1968, vaulted E82 to #1 in the city for Runs, which includes all units, not just Engines.  The total runs for the 8-year period is 40,185!  While we can presume that the truck missed some runs due to maintenance downtime, it was not affected by interchanges, and the total is remarkable.  It's a wonder that it was able to see service at E249 afterwards for over a year until 249 got their 1970 Mack.

Those fugly 1960 Ward LaFarnce Firebrands held up pretty well. Engine 46 had one and so did busy Brooklyn E209, E216, E217 and E235.

As a Young 'Buff' i remember that 'fugly' WLF @ 249 Engine ! Old, Loud, Ugly, Fast & Reliable !

Mebe you guys can help me out w/one that's been bugging me for a while: i grew up in Flatlands / Marine Pk. Area [ right on 255/157 & 309/159's Border area...],
it seemed to me that Eng. 323 had this Ancient Rig that ran mid - to - late 60's...
a Real Long & Slow Relic that seemed to last Forever ! Any thoughts...? Thanks, staj.  :D

Probably the long Ward LaFrance that carried many ladders; kinda like a quint by only ground ladders.  E 310 had one too.

STAjo said:
As a Young 'Buff' i remember that 'fugly' WLF @ 249 Engine ! Old, Loud, Ugly, Fast & Reliable !

Mebe you guys can help me out w/one that's been bugging me for a while: i grew up in Flatlands / Marine Pk. Area [ right on 255/157 & 309/159's Border area...],
it seemed to me that Eng. 323 had this Ancient Rig that ran mid - to - late 60's...
a Real Long & Slow Relic that seemed to last Forever ! Any thoughts...? Thanks, staj.  :D
  That was a 1951 WLF Quad (shop# 2613) that started out as E96 in the Bronx then swapped with E310 for their standard 1951 WLF then later swapped with E323 for 323's 1953 WLF. The other six were #2612 assigned to E161, #2614-assigned to L76 then E267, #2615-L82, #2616-E251, #2617-assigned to E152 then converted in 1965 to a spare Satellite hose wagon then used as a Relay Hose Wagon, #2618-E312.

Of note in Bill Noonan's pic of E 310, is the Ladder 160 posted on the front of the firehouse.  That never happened and L 174 was formed there many years later.

* TY, Everyone. Now that ya' mention it, i meant to say it looked more like a Hose Wagon
than anything else....Except for the Ladders [!]
Interesting Unit !  ;)

STAjo said:
* TY, Everyone. Now that ya' mention it, i meant to say it looked more like a Hose Wagon
than anything else....Except for the Ladders [!]
Interesting Unit !  ;)

Great Foto ! Look at that thing, the 'Backstep' is like a Block away from the Cab ! :D

The thing I rmember most of the older Wards was if the vacuum switch for the clutch didn't work it was a heck of a long leg stretch to hold the clutch in and reach the road / pump handle on the pump panel.  Other then that these rigs could take a beating.

STAjo said:

I remember 323's Quad very well. Several members of E 323 lived on my block in Marine Park when I was a youngster. They frequently came down the block when returning from runs in the neighborhood.

"I remember 323's Quad very well. Several members of E 323 lived on my block in Marine Park when I was a youngster. They frequently came down the block when returning from runs in the neighborhood".

TY, 'Mets!'  What a Wonderful Place to grow up in ! And to think how nice it must have been for those men of 323... Working over there in Bergen Beach when it was almost like 'The Country', working
on The Best Job in The World, for the Greatest F. D. in the World, and raising their families in
Marine Park. Fantastic !
[ and rooting for da' Mets: Tom Seaver, Buddy Harrelsen, Cleon Jones, Tommy Aigee..!]  8)

3511 said:
Some Firebrands replaced older WLF's (E40, up the street from my high school on Amsterdam Ave.)

3511 the HS I went to was two blocks from the Qtrs of 40 & 35 ,but at that time, '55, they were on 63rd St. bet Columbus & Amsterdam, BTW the HS was at 40 Amsterdam and the other address was 161 W.61st ST.