Your FAVORITE classic NYC firehouse?

Did you see the picture of One Hundred and Eights 69 ALF on the link above.

Yes.... excellent Thanks ...... that is the one we had from '69 to '74.....i thought it was the best rig to drive.......the second one a '68 that had been 123s did not handle & ride as well... the front suspension on it was kind of shot but it still was a TILLER.......there is a nice b&w picture of the '69 w/a few more modifications on page 9 in Rona Beames book "Ladder Company 108" ......published in '73 by Julian Messner a Division of Simon & Schuster,Inc..... it may still be in Public Libraries......i am still looking for the gallery that had the picture of LAD*25 on a Manhattan St.w/1 of our old ALFs.......i have 2 color 8x10s 1 of each '68 & '69 ...one is taken at a job w/the Super Pumper behind it.....i am still trying to figure out the new program to reduce the resolution so i can post them.

L 123's '68 ALF tiller probably owed the city nothing by the time it was reassigned. I can still remember flying down Ralph Avenue across East New York Ave and Eastern Parkway several times a tour and there couldn't have been many trucks that outran or outworked them during those years.

As far as apparatus goes, I always considered the 1968/1969 ALF tillers an end of an era. They were the classic FDNY ladder truck, most of the guys rode in the open (good and bad - good for a size up rolling in to a job....bad for "air-mail).
And that motor growl just made those rigs bad-ass with a lot of character.
Here's to times gone past

The stack was the source of some pranks.....new Proby working....off going guys would put flour into the stack when the 1st run came in as he was dressing when the rig started he would get a flour shower....other guys knew it & tried to stay clear.......also for a new Proby or a Detail from another Co....some slivers of a piece of pine board slid into the clamps on the pipe down behind the preforated guard would after a few back to back runs get hot enough to emit an odor of burning wood right in the faces of the guys standing there...the Proby or the Detail would go "hey it smells like a job" & start gearing up....then everybody would laugh at him.

how about some of the ugliest firehouses?  the men can only do so much but some of the fdny buildings that were put up in the 70's look like crap.  no personality and no imagination.  looks lie they were thrown up and corners were cut to save money.  the inside of these houses seem very cramped and most are only 2 floors for a double house which makes for reaal close quarters. 

http://www.fdphotos.com/Department-Photos/Firehouses-of-the-Bronx
(if you want to check them all out)

these are my top 10 bronx firehouses in terms of good old school looks:

E60/L17 (lots of emblems and ornaments and a great railing)
94/L48 (upper level of house just calls for attention)
Squad 41 (screams old school firehouse and just so much to look at)
E88/L38 (diff. looking front that most houses especially upper level)
E90/L41 (double entrance doors)
E43/L59 (great middle emblem)
E81//L46 (big, clean and open looking old house)
E82/L31 ( very distinct look esp. roof)
E73/L42 (2 diff. old houses attached)
E52/L52 (good old look and a bell tower)

you guys think i left any out?

squarewheels said:
http://www.fdphotos.com/Department-Photos/Firehouses-of-the-Bronx
(if you want to check them all out)

these are my top 10 bronx firehouses in terms of good old school looks:

E60/L17 (lots of emblems and ornaments and a great railing)
94/L48 (upper level of house just calls for attention)
Squad 41 (screams old school firehouse and just so much to look at)
E88/L38 (diff. looking front that most houses especially upper level)
E90/L41 (double entrance doors)
E43/L59 (great middle emblem)
E81//L46 (big, clean and open looking old house)
E82/L31 ( very distinct look esp. roof)
E73/L42 (2 diff. old houses attached)
E52/L52 (good old look and a bell tower)

you guys think i left any out?
Thanks for giving the GREEN BERETS their props! ;)

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
E-45 & L-58  Old & new sided by side.
E-64 & L-47  Two old houses seperated by a yard.
Old E-71 - with the side door

Atlas said:
E-45 & L-58  Old & new sided by side.
E-64 & L-47  Two old houses seperated by a yard.
Old E-71 - with the side door
  Thanks Atlas, I was going to ask about E71's old house with the Div. chief coming out of the basement on 159th St..  ;)

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Old 71 is in use today by EMS Batt 55 units.

I still think that in NYC the best station that I ever saw was Engine 31 on Lafayette St. That was in a class all by its self.