My younger Buff years

Congratulations!  You've almost achieved every boy's dream!  I once worked on a USAF airplane  that had the following Latin words painted on it's side:  "Nole con legitime carbor undum est."  Loosely translated:  "Don't let the bastards wear you down!"

Good luck!

mack

Administrator
Minerva - as the chief said, don't give up.  Hang in there.  I look forward to reading your future on-the-job stores on this site.  Good luck.  Your time will come

Back in the Day. Some of the radio transmissions that I remember.

"We're using all hands here. We have fire in the basement, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th floors with fire through the roof. No exposures, putting the tower ladders to work".

"All units stand by unless you have an urgent message" "Go ahead Batt xx with the Urgent". "I need another truck at this job". "Okay Batt xx, we'll try to get you one".

"Any unit available in the sixth divison" "Engine xx to Bronx we're avaliable" "okay Engine xx take in Box ####, you got an occupied building, you're going in first due, we'll get you a truck as soon as we can". "Engine xx to Bronx we're a ways from that box". "Engine xx you're all we got right now, take it in".

"Attention 290, 232, 103-2, 120 and the 44, Box #### for an occupied building fire at ####". "Acknowledge 290". "290 to Brooklyn, we're operating at a rubbish fire right now". "290, if there's no exposures, leave it and take in this job, we're getting numerous calls on this with people trapped".

For those of us who remember the constant radio traffic of fires burning on a regular basis, it wasn't at all uncommon to hear radio messages on a regular basis like this. There were no MDTs. The dispatchers in each Communications Office were "maxed out" on a regular basis. I have no idea how they were able to keep up with the action, all while the phones kept ringing in reporting fires, sometimes several just in the same neighborhood. Those War Years Firefighters worked to the breaking point with no relief companies coming in. Go into the firehouse and it wasn't "if you would get a job", it was "how many jobs".

And the constant pull boxes and ERS boxes being activated. Somebody needed to respond to that too. And sometimes a company operating at one fire would call in another fire that they can see from where they are. Sometimes it seems like it didn't really happen. Maybe it was just a bad dream. But throughout this thread of 90 or so pages, and others like it, there are first hand stories, pictures, and videos to prove that IT DID HAPPEN.

Some others....BKLYN announces.... " box XXX has 1&1 responding"...then... "BKLYN to SQ*3 you ARE the Truck".....(they did not even have a Pumper then just the stretch Carryall )........another good one i remember was BN*35 transmitting a Second Alarm at a box they were special called to in Bushwick then they asked BKLYN ......."is 108 coming in on the Second ?".....BKLYN replied.." no they are on the Third".....the 35 then said..... "OK transmit the Third" .......(back then no FAST & only one LAD on all alarms above the intial box which may have only been 1&1).

Years ago, listening to "Brooklyn Fire Radio" as the dispatchers would say was like listening to a radio program. They really seemed to run the rap in Brooklyn. "Tally-ho", "Tonka truck" and "triple deuce" were just a few examples that you would hear regularly. Those dispatchers would come out with some great stuff like for a 10-7 they would say  "It's apt 4c......as in breadcrumbs". Another favorite was " The BUG man is enroute" . Great stuff !!

mack

Administrator
Some more terms frequently heard on radio:
"Engine XX to Manhattan - 10-30 box XXXX"  (constantly used '10-30' working fire signal)
"The time is 1500 - Adaptive Response is in service"  (2&1 w/chief reduced response)
"DRB box XXXX" (discretionary response box)
"Transmit the box"  (request for full 1st alarm assignment from companies)
"Brooklyn to XXXX, 10-12 box XXXX - no chief assigned on the box"
"Division XX to Brooklyn...who is the 7-5 chief?" (signal 7-5 used for all hands jobs)
"Brooklyn to any chief available in the 15th Division.  (no response)  Brooklyn to any chief available in the boro of Brooklyn (no response)  Brooklyn to any chief available for a working fire?"

On Handi-Talkie:
"Battalion XX to 2nd due engine...battalion XX to 1st due truck..." (Chiefs did not know who that had on arrival at fires due to interchange/relocations/heavy response volume/spare rigs.  They would go to the same box a few hours apart and have all different assigned units)

mack

Administrator
Some of the many department changes or innovations starting in early 1970s:

Tactical Control Units: TCUs worked 37 1/2 hrs; report for duty at 1430 hrs at a firehouse in an outlying area; 30 minutes to drive w/assigned apparatus to quarters they operate from; in service as a conventional engine or truck until 0030 hrs; 30 minutes to drive back to firehouse where their apparatus is stored; work 3 shifts and then 85 hrs off; 5% night differential for all hrs; all members volunteers and interviewed and selected for  their firefighting experience, attitude, appearance, background and knowledge; an officer and 7 firefighters in TCU trucks; an officer and 6 firefighters in TCU engines; all engine and ladder companies in adaptive response areas have rosters of 31 firefighters and staffed with a minimum of 6 firefighters at all times;  increased staffing to match 2 engine and 1 truck adaptive response; all non-firefighting details would be covered from an administrative quota of firefighters to maintain minimum unit manning.

Apparatus/Equipment: 180 new pumpers; 45 new ladders; 35 new tower ladders; power saws for all trucks and rescues; concrete breakers for rescue companes.

Quarters: Temporary pre-fab steel firehouses (Brooklyn and Bronx Tin Houses); modernization program for kitchens/bathrooms/sitting rooms.

Administrative:  Administrative firefighter aides to 10 busiest battalions or divisions and the 40 busiest companies; Xerox machines for firehouse paperwork; new typewriters.

Communications: 3 walkie-talkies for each truck (officer/roofman/above the fire floor); 2 walkie talkies for each engine; new unit status contol and dispatching system development.

In addition - rapid water; DRBs; Red Hat arson program; non-red apparatus; safety ropes; Model Cities program; Salvage Units; Squirt engine companies; ERS alarm box system; interchange program

Talk about typewriters: many people now don't know what a typewriter is/was.  I used to bang out fire reports in the 41 Batt. office in my role as the aide to the aide.  Manual typewriter and had to make five copies of every report; no copiers back then: used carbon paper for needed copies. 

Just a side note. "Bxboro" and I have been friends for a long time. Way before "My Younger Buff Years" was ever thought of and way before things like computers and cell phones became a part of our lives.

"Bxboro", his brother (now an FDNY member), and a few of his friends would stop by the "Greenville Hilton" in Norwich, Ct where I was working at the time. I had told them if they really wanted to see fires, New York City was the place to be. So that's where we went.

Not only "Bxboro" and his brother, but several others also got hooked. Most all became career firefighters. Some have already retired and some are getting ready to retire. But every one of us learned the way the job is supposed to be, and we learned from the best. Ask any one of them and they will tell you the same thing. We learned firefighting, firehouse life, dealing with social issues, and for some, what it takes to be a good officer. There is just no books or college courses to teach what we learned. It was all from a group of guys that fought fires during the busiest time, and in the busiest place in the history of the fire service.

Now with the internet and this web site, there has been others who can also share their stories of this very busy time. When we read on here about DRBs, ADVs, TCUs, we can all understand the language that is being spoken. And a few of us today understand exactly what "johnnyd" means about typing reports on a typewriter. I'm sure glad there's guys like "johnd248", "Bxboro", "mack", "*******", "G-man", "68jk09", "mikeindabronx", "69mets" "fdce54", "svd###", and a dozen or so others who have contributed and told some of their stories.

Recently "Bxboro" was able to get me a hat through one of his friends on the FDNY. It's just a baseball style hat with the numbers "27" on it and a small "2" next to it. On the back of it in small letters it says; "FDNY 1970-1972". For most people, when they see the 27 with the small 2 next to it, they'll wonder "why would anybody want to wear a hat that says the square root of 27 on it" ? But for many of us on here, we know what it means. It means there were so many fires that the FDNY had to put two fully manned ladder companies in the same firehouse. Bronx Ladders 27-1, and Ladders 27-2. "By the way, Thanks Bxboro".

mack

Administrator
johnd248 said:
Talk about typewriters: many people now don't know what a typewriter is/was.  I used to bang out fire reports in the 41 Batt. office in my role as the aide to the aide.  Manual typewriter and had to make five copies of every report; no copiers back then: used carbon paper for needed copies.

Thanks for reminding me, John.  I remember the aide sitting in the battalion office, with several pieces of paper, usually on a clipboard, banging away on a manual typewriter with two fingers, filling out fire reports manually - maybe 4 or 5 at a time.  Runs were logged manually on a battalion run log.  All hands or greater were entered in red.  There were many.  Everyone hated the paperwork and welcomed a Voice Alarm interruption for another run.  There were so many, many runs - back to back.  You responded to a pulled box, got a 10-20 signal, turned off the lights and slowed down, got a 10-92 and turned around.  Almost immediately - "Brooklyn attention 245, 161, 43 stand-by for a run - respond to box 3542."  Half way there a 10-18 signal for garbage from 318 and 166.  Then "Brooklyn to Bn 43, available? Respond to box 3642.  You have 2 & 1 response."  In a few hours, you might have 10 runs with box numbers scribbled on paper, many runs you never got to the location.  Then a few jobs - working fires.  ADVs. More MFAs.  And then the aide is trying to fill out paperwork - fire reports - maybe hours later.  Many, many runs went unaccounted for.  There were no computer tickets - just manual logs and summaries.  Units were disbanded but the city bought new typewriters.

mack

Administrator
Some units bought their own first aid kits, some had military ammo cans filled with bandages, gauze, ace bandages that they either bought or bummed at a local hospital.  There were no EMS runs like today, but boxes were pulled for stabbings, gunshot wounds, falls. Car accident victims were extricated with injuries.  People were pulled from fires with burns.  Members were injured, members were injured a lot.  You had to wait for an ambulance a long time.  Sometime they never came.  Many times members were transported to hospitals by the battalion wagon.  The battalion also carried the resuscitators - not engines or trucks.  Resuscitator special calls were battalion-only calls -usually stressful runs.  Immediate medical care on runs was crude compared to today's EMS system.

mack said:
Some units bought their own first aid kits, some had military ammo cans filled with bandages, gauze, ace bandages that they either bought or bummed at a local hospital.  There were no EMS runs like today, but boxes were pulled for stabbings, gunshot wounds, falls. Car accident victims were extricated with injuries.  People were pulled from fires with burns.  Members were injured, members were injured a lot.  You had to wait for an ambulance a long time.  Sometime they never came.  Many times members were transported to hospitals by the battalion wagon.  The battalion also carried the resusitators - not engines or trucks.  Resusitator special calls were battalion-only calls -usually stressful runs.  Immediate medical care on runs was crude compared to today's EMS system.

I can remember frequently hearing units notifying the dispatcher, "We're available for that run, we have an EMT on-board (or two or three)." When I came on the job in 1981 it was still common for Battalions, Engines, Trucks and Rescues to transport civilians who were critically injured, burned or in respiratory / cardiac arrest, as all too often we'd be told, "EMS reports no buses available.". Over 2,000 F.D.N.Y. Firemen took the EMT course and became certified back in the 1970's (on their own time). I sent out a flyer through the bag back in 1982 to see if there were any Brothers who had an interest in taking an EMT course. The response was excellent. The course was provided in Gerritsen Beach by instructors who had previously taught the F.D.N.Y. EMT program. Citizens never thought twice before pulling the box for auto collisions, heart attacks, shootings, stabbings, etc.. They knew we'd get there in minutes, provide emergency care and get them to the E.R. (one way or another).

69 METS said:
As a matter of fact, here's Engine Co. 234 and Ladder Co. 123 (My first house) loading a packaged patient into 234's hose bed for transport to the hospital back in 1981:

http://doyleimages.smugmug.com/FDNY/Misc-FDNY/11857090_xr7ZDm#!i=1011680845&k=FNQDWhz&lb=1&s=X3

NOTE: Four of the members pictured were EMT's at the time of the incident.

Photo courtesy of doyleimages (Harry Doyle ... RIP).
TY,  METS, For Terrific Background Info & Great Photo, And Sir, For Your Years of Dedicated,
Innovative Service to the People of the City of New York

Thanks for the kind words STAjo. It was an honor, a privilege and a dream come true for me to be a member of the F.D.N.Y.. I have so many great memories of the years that I worked side by side with amazing, motivated, dedicated Firefighters.

I worked at the First National City Bank at the corner of Flatbush and Church Avenues, half a block from the old quarters of  '
E 248/ B 41.  One day the treasurer of Ebingers Baking Company came in for a loan; while the manager got up to get a loan note, the treasurer had a heart attack and keeled over at the manager's desk.  B 41 responded with their resuscitator, plus one man from E 248 but the Ebinger man had seen his last Blackout Cake.  Only the old timers will remember that.

I remember the cake table in 248's kitchen John. As a matter of fact my sister worked summers at Ebingers. Loved that blackout cake!

The old policy of the BN carrying the resuscitator was not always the best idea (other than the fact that usually there would be a BN at each box) when i was in a single Truck w/a BN in qtrs i went on a few of these since the Chief would usually grab a FF from the Truck .....some of the runs turned out to be hostility caused situations ....much better policy to have a whole unit respond as is done today in the FDNY.....  back in the day many patients were transported in hose beds, Rescue rigs & NYPD RMPs .......the BN Rigs were also utilized mostly for injured FDNY Members (today even though there is Ambulance availability the BN rig is filled w/the pullout  negating use of the space for a supine patient) .....the Rescue Rigs had an onboard piped oxygen system w/schraeder jacks on the long open shelf inside long enough for 2 patients  many FDNY Members were transported in a Rescue (for some sadly it was their last ride in a Rig)......as far as the FDNY EMT couse back starting in '74 i do not remember the total # qualified but it was well attended ......i was an Instructor in the program on my off time for $5.00 an hour but when on the clock at work it was all done for no extra compensation.....after a few years the Job allowed the certifications to expire w/no further oppurtunity for re certification unless it was done outsid the Job.

Interesting to read the EMS side of things involving the FDNY back in those War Years. As a buff, I remember reading, I believe in WNYF Magazine, how a group of FDNY members had become EMTs. As I remember it, I think some of the guys had an EMT/EMS patch sown on their turnout coats, and there was also a a small EMT sticker put on some of their helmets. I also remember hearing when the city had no interest in trying to retain and recruit additional FDNY members as EMTs. And as posted by others, this was during a time when a one hour eta for an ambulance (referred to as a "bus") was accepted as common practice.

"69mets", thank you very much for that picture you posted of Engine 234 transporting a patient to the hospital. And as Chief "68jk09" says, "sometimes a NYPD unit would transport a patient in the back seat of a police car". I remember the time myself and another member I worked with were buffing on Teller Ave near Clairmont Park. We saw a male drop to the ground from a seizure. As FF/EMTs we went over to see what we could do. No cell phones and an ERS box the next block over. As luck would have it a police car happened to pull up. They called for an ambulance and was told, "one hour ETA for the bus". It was just about impossible to get an ambulance in those days. The officers told us, "put him in the back seat, and we'll take him". So that's what we did. No care given or vital signs taken. It would be so different today.

In another incident, an elderly woman slipped on the ice in a parking lot. Once again, a call for an ambulance with no response as this poor old lady laid on the cold ground in single digit numbers. Several calls were placed from the business and word was "their on the way". The best we could do was cover her with a blanket and our coats. That poor woman laid there for almost two hours.

Those 70s and 80s in NYC were bad all around. You couldn't get an ambulance. The fire dept was stretched to the breaking point. The crime was completely out of control. The streets were lined with rubbish and trash. Vacant and burned out buildings for blocks. Grafitti everywhere. Even Times Sq had a reputation of a place to avoid. Most politicians had just about written the place off. It was it's City Employees that held that city together. Its Firefighters, Police Officers, Sanitation Workers, its Teachers, Police/Fire Dispatchers. And those completely overwelmed EMTs from NYC Health and Hositals, and those who worked the war zones in the city emergency rooms at each hospital.

Today, all of that is behind us. Somewhere and somehow things started to improve. But for those of us that were around during those 70s and 80s, it just couldn't get any worse. The City was at the breaking point. Just a few miles from where the richest of our country resided in luxury, was a Third World enviorment that few wanted to deal with.

mack

Administrator
My father's proby company was Engine 248 (w/Bn 41) on Church Ave.  It was an old Brooklyn Fire Department firehouse. 69Mets father was also the Captain there.

1PZB4J.jpg E_248.jpg

Ebinger's was a famous Brooklyn bakery.  There was always a stack or Ebinger's bakery products stacked in the kitchen.  The story I was told - there was a fire in Ebinger's (or next door) and Engine 248 did a good job arriving quickly and knocking it down.  The store manager, or maybe the owners, came by the firehouse with cake (their Blackout Cake was famous) to thank members and told them they would never forget what the company did to save their store.  The company always had an assortment of cakes and baked goods in the old kitchen. 

Original Ebinger's bakery
Ebingers_2.jpg

Ebingers.jpg

http://kitchenproject.com/history/ChocolateBlackoutCake/index.htm