1/9/22 Bronx 5th Alarm 10-77 Box 3162

I've done my best to put together a run down of EMS traffic for this job. Be mindful dispatch was chaotic at times and this incident was run across 3 channels (Bronx North, Bronx South and Citywide 1) but I've done my best to put together the traffic from Citywide which was the primary channel for the incident. I hope this provides an interesting insight for members into the EMS perspective at an incident like this.

1059 HazTac 1 Fire have transmitted a 10-77, unconscious patient at location, show me responding

1100 Citywide Attention all citywide units notification of MCI 10-77 High Rise Residential Fire 333 East 181 Street near Valentine Avenue in the Bronx Box 3162

1104 Citywide To all units box upgraded to a 2nd Alarm

1105 Conditions 19 10-84 Staging Area will be Valentine Street between 181 and 182

1106 Citywide to Car 522, 13W are scheduled to change crew in 15 minutes would you like me to cancel?
522 - Any other ALS available?
CW - No other ALS in the Bronx, we have ALS responding from Manhattan and Queens
522 - Have them keep coming.

1109 Medical Branch @ Box 3162 Fire on the ? Floor, potential for injuries high for civilians and public safety personnel

1113 MB@3162 We have 2 Red Tags need units ASAP

1114 MB@3162 Ongoing risk to civilians and public safety personnel, 2 Red Tags, confirm how many units I have on scene and responding, I need additional units to the Command Post
CW - You have 5 BLS, 1 ALS and 1 Rescue on scene

1114 19K to MB Red Tag coming out to the bus

1116 MB@3162 We have 3 Red Tags, need 5 more BLS and 5 more ALS, all units respond in to the Command Post
CW Confirm you require that on top of your current resources
MB Affirmative please assign more BLS and ALS units

1120 Staging I need more units, I have no units I, need more units, as soon as a unit pulls up they’re taking off

1122 Citywide Attention all units, fire has been upgraded to a 4th Alarm

1122 (Unknown) We’re coming to you we’re coming to the ambulance with a baby

1123 (Unknown) 15Z are treating 1 Red Tag Paediatric

1123 (Unknown) Need ALS to the Command Post another Red Tag in arrest

1124 (Unknown) Another one coming down to the Command Post now

1124 (Unknown) Two arrests coming out now

1125 MB@3162 Progress Report, Patient Count 9, 6 Red Tag, 1 Orange Tag, 2 Green Tag, being treated by 27V 27E 26C 18B, Sectors Established, Conditions 19 is Communications and Tracking, Conditions 26 is Staging & Treatment, HazTac 1 is Rescue Group

1126 MB@3162 Have an additional Red Tag coming out, Patient Count 10, require additional units
CW - You have 7 BLS 5 ALS on scene, 5 additional BLS 3 additional ALS responding
MB - Require 2 more ALS

1128 MB@3162 Assign 2 additional Rescue Medics

1130 MB@3162 Confirm we have a MERV assigned
CW - Affirm MERV7 is 10-84
MB - Have the crew report to the Command Post

1138 MB@3162 Progress Report, Risk Remains High, Patient Count 14, 10 Red Tag, 4 Green Tag, we need additional units all units on scene are being utilised if you have an available unit assign them require both BLS and ALS

1149 MB@3162 Progress Report, Risk Remains High, Patient Count 20, 16 Red Tag, 4 Green Tag, all units are being utilised please assign additional BLS and ALS units as many as you can provide, patients are coming out continuously, another Red Tag has just been brought out now

1150 MB@3162 Be advised a lot of the Red Tags are paediatrics and are in cardiac arrest

1159 MB@3162 Progress Report, Patient Count 24, 19 Red Tag, 5 Green Tag, We now have Conditions 18 as Secondary Staging, Conditions 17 in the MERV and Conditions 14 as Treatment

1159 Citywide Information from Hospital 23 they can handle two more patients and that’s it

1202 Car 5O Hospital tracking has been implemented, Conditions cars deployed to Hospitals 83, 23 and 25

1204 MB@3162 Progress Report, Patient Count 29, 22 Red Tag, 1 Orange Tag, 6 Green Tag, all civilians

1205 MB@3162 Please instruct LSU1 to bring as many BVMs as they have to the Command Post

1209 MB@3162 Progress Report, Fire operations ongoing, risk remains high, Patient Count 33, 28 Red Tag, 1 Orange Tag, 6 Green Tag, all units on scene are being utilised, please assign additional BLS and ALS units

1209 27C Place Hospital 23 on diversion they are by far maxed out they cannot handle anymore patients they are at capacity

1210 27R Any ALS units in the area bring their Cyno Kits to Hospital 23 for multiple paediatric patients

1211 (Unknown) I have 4 Cyno Kits I’m going to the Command Post right now

1211 14Z Responding with 3 Cyno Kits, dropping them at Hospital 23 and then continuing to the scene

1212 MB@3162 Progress Report, Patient Count 37, 30 Red Tags, 2 Orange Tags, 5 Green Tags, all incoming units come directly to the front of the building, bring all your BVMs and SKEDs to the Command Post

1218 27R (and multiple other units) responding back to the scene after transporting their patient to the hospital

1220 14A Departing Station 14 for the MCI with additional BVMs, Oxygen, SKEDs and other equipment onboard

1224 Citywide All units already assigned to a job please continue to your current assignment, do not release to attend the MCI

1228 27R No more ambulances to Hospital 83, there’s no where to park and they’re out of beds, we have units parking on Third Avenue

1231 Citywide to Conditions 16 you’re required at Hospital 17 and then Hospital 16 for Patient Tracking

1237 CW to MB@3162 Do you need a second MERV?
MB - If you have another available send it
CW - MERV9 coming to you now

1242 MB@3162 Progress Report, Patient Count 54, 32 Red Tag, 3 Orange Tag, 19 Green Tag

1242 27C Have Cyno Kits on board headed to Hospital 83

1244 MB@3162 Progress Report Patient Count 54, 32 Red Tag, 3 Orange Tag, 19 Green Tag, Car 5 now Medical Branch Director,

1253 MB@3162 Progress Report, risk remains high, Patient Count remains 54, Car 562 is ? Group Leader, under them is Conditions 17 Tracking Officer, Conditions 18 Staging Officer, Car 522 is Treatment Group Leader, under them is Conditions 19 and Conditions 14, we have Conditions 26 as Rehab Officer, HazTac 1 and HazTac 3 as Rescue Group, Car 5 is Medical Branch Leader, Car 5C is Deputy Medical Branch Leader

1256 MB@3162 No further Cyno Kits needed at this time

1312 MB@3162 Progress Report, Patient Count 60, 59 Civilians, 1 Orange Tag Firefighter

1412 MB@3162 Progress Report, Risk Low, Total Patient Count will be 66, 32 Red Tag, 10 Orange Tag Civilians, 1 Orange Tag Firefighter, 20 Green Tag Civilians, 4 Green Tag Firefighters, we are in the process of de escalation, units will call you when available, we also have 6 RMAs with 5 Mary
Great job Sydney. Thanks for the effort in listening to the radio and putting that together

I wonder how many apartments were actually involved in fire ?

27C2- H83 w/cyanokit
03B2
03G2
03K2
14A2
14C2
14E2
14F2
14G2
15G2
15I2
15J2
17B2
17C2
19A2
19B2
19K2
19L2
20D2
20G2
26C2
26F2
27E2
82C2
82E2
84F2
86C2

ALS
03U2
04Y2
10Y2
13Y2
14Y2
14Z2
15Y2
15Z2
16Z2
17Z2
27V2
49V2

RESCUE
01R2
07R2
27R2
45R2

BOSSES-
C16- HTO
C13- HTO
C14
C17
C18
C19
C20
C26- REHAB
C45- HTO
C46- HTO
C54-HTO
C82
HT1
HT3
5H
5C
5O
5S
SPECIALTY
ME9
LS1
MR6
MV7

5M5 IS ALSO ON SCENE
Great listing of EMS units on the scene. Thanks Guy!!

Bulldog

Bulldog
ufa president on fox ch. 5 news talking about the need for 5 man engines
more lives are saved by properly positioned and operated hoselines.
I'm not so sure if in this case the additional manpower initially would've helped that much since the majority of the injuries, deaths were the result of smoke. The extra manpower would've been nice on the initial response but I'm not sure it would've been a much use.

There has been a complete re-writing of Engine Ops. They may have hand-stretched a 2.5 or 1.75 line off of the rig. If so, manpower is still a major factor.

This fatal fire took place within 1 1/2 miles (walking distance) of some of NYCs other very serious fatal fires.

On August 21, 1988, only about 1 1/4 miles away from this fire was the illegal "El Hoya social club" fire, located at 1748 Jerome Ave, corner of East 175th St.
That fire took the lives of 7 individuals

Then on March 25, 1990, only 1 1/2 miles away from this apartment building fire was another illegal social club fire which took the lives of 87 people.
That social club, called "Happyland" was located at 1956 Southern Blvd near East Tremont Ave
also Dec 28, 2017, Prospect Ave off 187st where 13 people were killed, 14 injured. (E 88/L38 first due)

I'm not so sure if in this case the additional manpower initially would've helped that much since the majority of the injuries, deaths were the result of smoke. The extra manpower would've been nice on the initial response but I'm not sure it would've been a much use.

your response..is an administrative response

mack

Administrator
I am pretty sure there is a WNYF in the 1970s that covers FDNY testing of engine crew size, one of the many studies under COD O'Hagen. I believe the results were as expected - 5 member engine crews were faster and effective than 4 member crews.

This 2010 NIST study confirms that larger size fire units perform operational tasks more efficiently saving lives and property, as expected.

Landmark Residential Fire Study Shows How Crew Sizes and Arrival Times Influence Saving Lives and Property​

April 28, 2010

amine_impoact_of_changes_in_firefighting_resources.jpg
A fire fighter conducts a second-story ventilation at a controlled fire during a fire fighter safety and resource deployment study funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and led by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Credit: International Association of Fire Fighters

WASHINGTON D.C.—A landmark study issued today by the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) shows that the size of firefighting crews has a substantial effect on the fire service's ability to protect lives and property in residential fires.
Performed by a broad coalition in the scientific, firefighting and public-safety communities, the study found that four-person firefighting crews were able to complete 22 essential firefighting and rescue tasks in a typical residential structure 30 percent faster than two-person crews and 25 percent faster than three-person crews.

The report is the first to quantify the effects of crew sizes and arrival times on the fire service's lifesaving and firefighting operations for residential fires. Until now, little scientific data have been available.

"The results from this rigorous scientific study on the most common and deadly fires in the country—those in single-family residences—provide quantitative data to fire chiefs and public officials responsible for determining safe staffing levels, station locations and appropriate funding for community and firefighter safety," said NIST's Jason Averill, one of the study's principal investigators.

The four-person crews were able to deliver water to a similar-sized fire 15 percent faster than the two-person crews and 6 percent faster than three-person crews, steps that help to reduce property damage and lower danger to the firefighters.

"Fire risks grow exponentially. Each minute of delay is critical to the safety of the occupants and firefighters, and is directly related to property damage," said Averill, who leads NIST's Engineered Fire Safety Group within its Building and Fire Research Laboratory.

"Our experiments directly address two primary objectives of the fire service: extinguishing the fire and rescuing occupants," said Lori Moore-Merrell of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) and a principal investigator on the study.

The four-person crews were able to complete search and rescue 30 percent faster than two-person crews and 5 percent faster than three-person crews, Moore-Merrell explained. Five-person crews were faster than four-person crews in several key tasks. The benefits of five-person crews have also been documented by other researchers for fires in medium- and high-hazard structures, such as high-rise buildings, commercial properties, factories and warehouses.

This study explored fires in a residential structure, where the vast majority of fatal fires occur. The researchers built a "low-hazard" structure as described in National Fire Protection Association Standard 1710 (NFPA 1710), a consensus standard that provides guidance on the deployment of career firefighters. The two-story, 2000-square-foot test facility was constructed at the Montgomery County Public Safety Training Academy in Rockville, Md. Fire crews from Montgomery County, Md., and Fairfax County, Va., responded to live fires within this facility.

NIST researchers and their collaborators conducted more than 60 controlled fire experiments to determine the relative effects of crew size, the arrival time of the first fire crews, and the "stagger," or spacing, between the arrivals of successive waves of fire-fighting apparatus (vehicles and equipment). The stagger time simulates the typically later arrival of crews from more distant stations as compared to crews from more nearby stations.

Crews of two, three, four and five firefighters were timed as they performed 22 standard firefighting and rescue tasks to extinguish a live fire in the test facility. Those standard tasks included occupant search and rescue, time to put water on fire, and laddering and ventilation. Apparatus arrival time, the stagger between apparatus, and crew sizes were varied.

The United States Fire Administration reported that 403,000 residential structure fires killed close to 3,000 people in 2008—accounting for approximately 84 percent of all fire deaths—and injured about 13,500. Direct costs from these fires were about $8.5 billion. Annually, firefighter deaths have remained steady at around 100, while tens of thousands more are injured.

Researchers also performed simulations using NIST's Fire Dynamic Simulator to examine how the interior conditions change for trapped occupants and the firefighters if the fire develops more slowly or more rapidly than observed in the actual experiments. The fire modeling simulations demonstrated that two-person, late-arriving crews can face a fire that is twice the intensity of the fire faced by five-person, early arriving crews. Additionally, the modeling demonstrated that trapped occupants receive less exposure to toxic combustion products—such as carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide—if the firefighters arrive earlier and involve three or more persons per crew.

"The results of the field experiments apply only to fires in low-hazard residential structures as described in the NFPA Standard 1710, but it provides a strong starting point," said Moore-Merrell. Future research could extend the findings of the report to quantify the effects of crew size and apparatus arrival times in medium- and high-hazard structures, she said.

The next step for this research team is to develop a training package for firefighters and public officials that would enable them to have both quantitative and qualitative understanding of the research, a project also funded by FEMA's Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program.
The study's principal investigators were Averill, Moore-Merrell and Kathy Notarianni of Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Other organizations participating in this research include the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the Commission on Fire Accreditation International-RISK and the Urban Institute.

The report was funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program and released today in Washington, D.C., before the start of the annual Congressional Fire Services Institute meeting that draws top fire safety officials from across the nation.

The Report on Residential Fireground Field Experiments, NIST Technical Note 1661, can be downloaded here.

Founded in 1901, NIST is a nonregulatory agency of the Commerce Department that promotes U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.

IAFF Contact: Bill Glanz, 202-824-1505

I am pretty sure there is a WNYF in the 1970s that covers FDNY testing of engine crew size, one of the many studies under COD O'Hagen. I believe the results were as expected - 5 member engine crews were faster and effective than 4 member crews.

This 2010 NIST study confirms that larger size fire units perform operational tasks more efficiently saving lives and property, as expected.

Landmark Residential Fire Study Shows How Crew Sizes and Arrival Times Influence Saving Lives and Property​

April 28, 2010

View attachment 16148
A fire fighter conducts a second-story ventilation at a controlled fire during a fire fighter safety and resource deployment study funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and led by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

WASHINGTON D.C.—A landmark study issued today by the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) shows that the size of firefighting crews has a substantial effect on the fire service's ability to protect lives and property in residential fires.
Performed by a broad coalition in the scientific, firefighting and public-safety communities, the study found that four-person firefighting crews were able to complete 22 essential firefighting and rescue tasks in a typical residential structure 30 percent faster than two-person crews and 25 percent faster than three-person crews.

The report is the first to quantify the effects of crew sizes and arrival times on the fire service's lifesaving and firefighting operations for residential fires. Until now, little scientific data have been available.

"The results from this rigorous scientific study on the most common and deadly fires in the country—those in single-family residences—provide quantitative data to fire chiefs and public officials responsible for determining safe staffing levels, station locations and appropriate funding for community and firefighter safety," said NIST's Jason Averill, one of the study's principal investigators.

The four-person crews were able to deliver water to a similar-sized fire 15 percent faster than the two-person crews and 6 percent faster than three-person crews, steps that help to reduce property damage and lower danger to the firefighters.

"Fire risks grow exponentially. Each minute of delay is critical to the safety of the occupants and firefighters, and is directly related to property damage," said Averill, who leads NIST's Engineered Fire Safety Group within its Building and Fire Research Laboratory.

"Our experiments directly address two primary objectives of the fire service: extinguishing the fire and rescuing occupants," said Lori Moore-Merrell of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) and a principal investigator on the study.

The four-person crews were able to complete search and rescue 30 percent faster than two-person crews and 5 percent faster than three-person crews, Moore-Merrell explained. Five-person crews were faster than four-person crews in several key tasks. The benefits of five-person crews have also been documented by other researchers for fires in medium- and high-hazard structures, such as high-rise buildings, commercial properties, factories and warehouses.

This study explored fires in a residential structure, where the vast majority of fatal fires occur. The researchers built a "low-hazard" structure as described in National Fire Protection Association Standard 1710 (NFPA 1710), a consensus standard that provides guidance on the deployment of career firefighters. The two-story, 2000-square-foot test facility was constructed at the Montgomery County Public Safety Training Academy in Rockville, Md. Fire crews from Montgomery County, Md., and Fairfax County, Va., responded to live fires within this facility.

NIST researchers and their collaborators conducted more than 60 controlled fire experiments to determine the relative effects of crew size, the arrival time of the first fire crews, and the "stagger," or spacing, between the arrivals of successive waves of fire-fighting apparatus (vehicles and equipment). The stagger time simulates the typically later arrival of crews from more distant stations as compared to crews from more nearby stations.

Crews of two, three, four and five firefighters were timed as they performed 22 standard firefighting and rescue tasks to extinguish a live fire in the test facility. Those standard tasks included occupant search and rescue, time to put water on fire, and laddering and ventilation. Apparatus arrival time, the stagger between apparatus, and crew sizes were varied.

The United States Fire Administration reported that 403,000 residential structure fires killed close to 3,000 people in 2008—accounting for approximately 84 percent of all fire deaths—and injured about 13,500. Direct costs from these fires were about $8.5 billion. Annually, firefighter deaths have remained steady at around 100, while tens of thousands more are injured.

Researchers also performed simulations using NIST's Fire Dynamic Simulator to examine how the interior conditions change for trapped occupants and the firefighters if the fire develops more slowly or more rapidly than observed in the actual experiments. The fire modeling simulations demonstrated that two-person, late-arriving crews can face a fire that is twice the intensity of the fire faced by five-person, early arriving crews. Additionally, the modeling demonstrated that trapped occupants receive less exposure to toxic combustion products—such as carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide—if the firefighters arrive earlier and involve three or more persons per crew.

"The results of the field experiments apply only to fires in low-hazard residential structures as described in the NFPA Standard 1710, but it provides a strong starting point," said Moore-Merrell. Future research could extend the findings of the report to quantify the effects of crew size and apparatus arrival times in medium- and high-hazard structures, she said.

The next step for this research team is to develop a training package for firefighters and public officials that would enable them to have both quantitative and qualitative understanding of the research, a project also funded by FEMA's Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program.
The study's principal investigators were Averill, Moore-Merrell and Kathy Notarianni of Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Other organizations participating in this research include the International Association of Fire Chiefs, the Commission on Fire Accreditation International-RISK and the Urban Institute.

The report was funded by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program and released today in Washington, D.C., before the start of the annual Congressional Fire Services Institute meeting that draws top fire safety officials from across the nation.

The Report on Residential Fireground Field Experiments, NIST Technical Note 1661, can be downloaded here.

Founded in 1901, NIST is a nonregulatory agency of the Commerce Department that promotes U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.

I believe that a similar study was published in Fire Engineering in the 1960's or 70's, maybe done in Dallas, showing the same (expected) results.
Unfortunately, there is no cost/benefit analysis of adding a fifth firefighter. Considering the cost of a salary, health care benefits, and pension for four FTE's, the benefit to the community is likely close to zero.

Reductio ad absurdum: We can put a fire company on every corner.

I added up the manpower through the 5th Alarm. I didn’t count any units called after the PWH.
25 Engines X 5 = 125
23 Ladders X 6 = 138
1 Squad. x 6 = 6
1 Rescue. X 6 =. 6
17 Bn/Dv Chs X 2 = 34
Total. =. 309

That doesn’t count the guys on TSU, CTU, MSU, RACs, Air Recon, Tour Commander, a few 5 FF engines, etc.

So easily over 300 personnel responded just from the “fire side” alone before the PWH.

Many, many city departments don’t have that many people on their total roster!

April 28, 2010

View attachment 16148

This is the report that DC Dunn conducted in 1987