8/20/22 Staten Island 3rd Alarm Alarm Box 4141

It's

It's not about the number of runs or the numbers of fires. It's about adequate fire protection. SI is heading towards half a million population. SI has had only 3 BCs for 90 years. There are no trucks on the West Shore - all single engines. And there are still parts of SI that can take 5 minutes for a 1st due engine or truck to get to - if they are available.
Yes ofcourse but other boros could use them more then Staten Island

Yes ofcourse but other boros could use them more then Staten Island
Other boroughs have more units to pull from when needed. SI relies on Brooklyn and in this case clearly Manhattan if needed. God forbid the VN bridge is closed for some reason (high wind?) and the island is cut off, excluding ferry which is a thing of the past. Just making an observation - SI has been clearly “sustaining” as is for the last few decades.

Tropospheric ducting impacted radio communications citywide this weekend.

Charlie is that you

There were (are) box assignments in the Communication Manual for Manhattan Companies to relocate to SI via NJ, giving which bridge, to SI to use. VZ was only built in the 60's. Companies relocated there before the bridge.

First we would have to train Perth Amboy on our procedures. That could years and a whole lot of $$$$$

Tropospheric ducting impacted radio communications citywide this weekend.

I know about that stuff.... i just wish we had the old 154 VHF freqs back.
Never been the same since the switchover 10+ years ago

And do the close-in potential NJ cities have compatible hose /hydrant threads to FDNY?

IMHO You could get a full house somewhere near the mall, could use another ladder out towards 158 or at squad 8/e154 as you have some boxes on that end where 3 engines are in before a truck. Fourth battalion is for sure needed and D8 probably should be dedicated to SI at this point.
Been saying for years put established companies at EMS Station 22 at 460 Brielle temporarily (at least an engine and BC) until a permenant location is picked. Has the ability to go any direction on the Island. This way you're not tying up SQ8 with EMS runs at the mall (and vicinity).
Amazing how the three Battalions remain the same from 1930.......................... 1930!!!!!

I know about that stuff.... i just wish we had the old 154 VHF freqs back.
Never been the same since the switchover 10+ years ago

And do the close-in potential NJ cities have compatible hose /hydrant threads to FDNY?
They do not have compatible hose for NYC hydrants.

mack

Administrator
There were (are) box assignments in the Communication Manual for Manhattan Companies to relocate to SI via NJ, giving which bridge, to SI to use. VZ was only built in the 60's. Companies relocated there before the bridge.
Brooklyn companies used the 69th St Ferry - a 15 or 20 minute ride after loading. Manhattan companies used the SI Ferry or the NJ route with the Bayonne Bridge. During brush seasons, companies were relocated to SI early in mornings and staged at SI firehouses e.g. - Huguenot, Dongan Hills.

mack

Administrator
Been saying for years put established companies at EMS Station 22 at 460 Brielle temporarily (at least an engine and BC) until a permenant location is picked. Has the ability to go any direction on the Island. This way you're not tying up SQ8 with EMS runs at the mall (and vicinity).
Amazing how the three Battalions remain the same from 1930.......................... 1930!!!!!
In the 1980s, SI BCs thought a 4th SI BC was badly needed 40 years ago. Chiefs never got to most box locations on runs but went 10-8 and did not see most routine jobs - which was or still is not good. Most SI chiefs operate alone at a job for a while until a 2nd BC or the Deputy gets in.

While other boroughs "...could use them more than Staten Island" , what other boroughs have experienced the growth that Staten Island has demonstrated?

When I lived in Annadale in the late 70's E-167 was a relatively short ride from my house, but it was a LONG wait for the first due truck (84) and a longer wait for the second unit engine/truck and first in BC. I know first hand because I had to call the troops one for a minor fire/odor of smoke in my attic.

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before something tragic happens and "it" hits the fan.

Before they even think about opening any companies they need to make sure all rigs are fully staffed and not riding short. RACs riding 1 FF, 5 MAN Engines, command tac riding short.

While other boroughs "...could use them more than Staten Island" , what other boroughs have experienced the growth that Staten Island has demonstrated?

When I lived in Annadale in the late 70's E-167 was a relatively short ride from my house, but it was a LONG wait for the first due truck (84) and a longer wait for the second unit engine/truck and first in BC. I know first hand because I had to call the troops one for a minor fire/odor of smoke in my attic.

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before something tragic happens and "it" hits the fan.
I think that's how E168 was established in 2006(?). Something happened - a multi-fatal fire perhaps - that made them fill that large gap between 164 and 151

mack

Administrator
Before they even think about opening any companies they need to make sure all rigs are fully staffed and not riding short. RACs riding 1 FF, 5 MAN Engines, command tac riding short.
Different issue.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
I think that's how E168 was established in 2006(?). Something happened - a multi-fatal fire perhaps - that made them fill that large gap between 164 and 151
March 8, 2005 there was a 3rd alarm that destroyed 4 or 5 homes in a development. It took about 6 and a half minutes for first due companies to arrive. A lot of public and political anger that the completed Rossville firehouse was empty resulted. Engine 168 was eventually staffed by the Bloomberg administration to prevent "another catastrophe".

It says ladder on the outside of 168s quarters by the service road on Staten Island