A LOOK BACK.

TY Chief, Great Stuff! I Remember, 'Back In The Day...' The Booster Line had become
Quite Popular as the 'Go-To' Line, very frequently used as an Initial Attack Line.
I Recall Also The LODD's mentioned, May They Rest In Peace.

I also recall my dad saying that their '54 Mack pumper had no booster line so if they were rolling into a pull box and saw a car or small rubbish fire going they would "slow up" a bit and let the second due engine who had a Ward LaFrance rig with a booster get in first. Naturally the would assist with the stretch and the rewind but it was easier than breaking down, draining and repacking the 1 1/2" cotton jacked hose.

Thanks for the great booster history, Chief.  I can certainly remember using the old hand crank to reload the booster line onto the reel.  Was never easy.

Philadelphia still specs a booster line on every pumper.  From 1954 thru 1963 PFD was buying John Bean High Pressure Fog pumpers on commercial chassis.  There was a separate belt driven high pressure pump that supplied 850 PSI to the 2 booster reels which were equipped with BEAN GUNS as the booster nozzle.  There was a highly respected old school Assistant Chief of Department named Howard O'Drain who was a company officer in Engine 2 in the 1950s.  As the story goes, if they had fire in more than one dwelling in a row, THE BIG DUECE would start at one end with the booster line off the wagon and at the other end with the booster line off the pumper and meet in the middle.  Sadly Philadelphia elected one term Mayor Bill Green in 1980 who fileted the PFD.  He eliminated the 8 Assistant Chiefs positions and the PFD lost hundreds of years of experience in one day. 

mack

Administrator
Thanks Chief.  Great summary on booster lines. And ADVs.   

Also, SI companies used boosters for brush extensively.  There were great for jobs which were accessible with the rig and saved long stretches.  SI had many areas with limited hydrants. 

looking at the tiller rig converted to a large capacity hose wagon for WW2 brought back memories of Engine 236 on Liberty Avenue in Brooklyn back in the early forties with their American Lafrance painted GRAY.  I have never been able to find a picture of that rig, sad to say. Their hose wagon was the standard color red.