ANOTHER WAR YEARS VET PASSES.

I remember hearing his name quite a few times when I was in 155. He must have been an outstanding fireman. Job well done, Rest In Peace Tom

Rest in Peace, Tom. Prayers for the brothers on Princeton Street and his family…especially his son, John…Engine 275.

RET FF THOMAS V. ROBERTSON LAD*14 & LAD*2.......

D.O. 93 .. 7-28-23 Paragraph 1.3....
With regret, the Department announces the death of retired Firefighter Thomas V. Robertson Jr. appointed December 3, 1966, retired January 1, 1977, formerly of L-2, residing in New Hyde Park, NY, which occurred on May 21, 2023. ....

REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES....

SERVICES ALREADY HELD.....

www.nhpfh.com/post/thomas-robertson-tr.

RET FF WARREN BERDAN ENG*287......

On 7-28-23 at 88 yrs of age at home with Family after a Battle...

REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......

WAKE : Drago Funeral Home 43-10 30 Ave Astoria QNS NY
Wed 8-2-23 1500 to 2000 hrs.

Funeral Mass : St Joseph Church 43-19 30 Ave Astoria QNS NY
Wed 8-2-23 1100 hrs.

Internment at St Michaels Cemetery. 72-02 Astoria Blvd East Elmhurst QNS NY
1230 hrs.

www.dragofuneralhome.com/obituary/warren-berdan/

RET FF WARREN BERDAN ENG*287......

On 7-28-23 at 88 yrs of age at home with Family after a Battle...

REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES......

WAKE : Drago Funeral Home 43-10 30 Ave Astoria QNS NY
Wed 8-2-23 1500 to 2000 hrs.

Funeral Mass : St Joseph Church 43-19 30 Ave Astoria QNS NY
Wed 8-2-23 1100 hrs.

Internment at St Michaels Cemetery. 72-02 Astoria Blvd East Elmhurst QNS NY
1230 hrs.
RIP Brother

RET FF BOB HUGHES .....
Recd this today.....

Subject: Fwd: Sad News

Brothers,
I am sorry to report the death of the brother of Tommy Hughes, Bob Hughes, L-151, E-235, L-134. He will have a LOD funeral on Monday at St. Agnes Cathedral on Monday 8/7. Time is not set yet.

The family would appreciate any members that can attend.

There will not be a wake. There will be a celebration of life at a time/date to be determined....

REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.
RIP HERO

^^^^^^^. I was at a UFOA meeting around 1991....Dr Kelly was being welcomed either as a M.O. or Delegate of the M.O. (don't remember which) ....she arrived with another Gentleman (her RET Dad) & the then UFOA President Brower called for a special order to let the RET Dad attend .the meeting...they were seated right in front of my row

From Paul Hashagen’s Facebook:
Sad News to Report: Lt. William "Dutch" Bessman had passed away. Bill was a fireman in Rescue 1 from 1968 until 1988. Bill was both literally and figuratively head and shoulders above other firefighters. (He was very tall) He was awarded the Bonner Medal in 1984 for his incredible rescue of a man on the top-floor of a blazing converted loft building on Seventh Ave. Bill entered the top floor window with flames pouring from 6 adjacent windows and crawled in alone to the rear where he found the unconscious man. Bill carried him back to the front window and out into the tower ladder bucket. Bill also taught at the Suffolk County fire academy for many years. Dutch broke me in, and made a great impression on me and all those that worked with him. God speed brother. It was an honor.
Photo 1 is Bill carrying the man he rescued in 1983, and the second photo is Bill with Lt. Jimmy Curran in 1982.

Attachments

• FDAE93D4-0864-4F4D-A0DC-059F46606C6D.jpeg
    FDAE93D4-0864-4F4D-A0DC-059F46606C6D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
When I was a new covering Lieutenant assigned to Battalion 26 In the South Bronx, I was not often sent to Manhattan to cover a vacancy, even for a single tour. But in 1984 I was sent to cover a single tour in Rescue 1 in Manhattan. Bill Bessman was driving Rescue 1 that day and though I had worked in busy areas, working in Rescue 1 was a dream come true. Bill and the rest of Rescue 1 hopefully knew me, a little, from when I worked on the Lower East Side as a fireman. If my memory serves me correctly, we went to a fire involving numerous burning and smoking manholes. I had Bill block traffic from entering the block with the Rescues 1 rig. The Battalion Chief, who was a former Rescue 1 officer went crazy, over me using the R-1 rig to seal off the block from traffic. Bill came over to me and said, "don't worry about that Chief that was a good heads up move on your part." I met Bill later in career, quite a few times and he always said "Hi Lieu, = his way of remembering. I was and will always be honored to call Bill friend and always remember his kindness to a new Lieutenant from the South Bronx. I bet he and Lt. Jimmy Curran R-1 and all the great firefighters of Rescue 1, and all the firefighters, no longer with us, are being honored by a Loving God for all they did for others. Rest in Peace with your brothers Bill.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retiredFDNY R-1 Responding from old qtrs. Mack R in 1980s.jpg

On 8-9-23 at 88 yrs of age...REST IN PEACE BROTHER......PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....Bill was a Great person...I got to work with him when I was a Covering LT in R*1 & he was a FF there.... years later when I was a CPT in 275 then 126 Bill was a LT in ENG*301 in the next BN over & we ran in together very often....always a pleasure

Last edited:
It is with regret that I announce the death of Retired Capt.Jack Boyle of Engine Co.5. Jack retired in the early 90's as a result of a fall down a pole hole in response to an alarm.Capt.Jack was a FDNY historian and well read man.He put his illustrious career in Eng 231,Bn44,Ladder 12, Eng 209 and finally Engine 5. Jack was also a longtime member and President emeritus of the FDNY Fireman's Cycle Club.

A true FDNY Legend .....Jack was into every facet of the FDNY & knew just about all the big names firsthand.....he used to hold court regularly in the "Grandstand" on Grand Ave w/a small group of Retirees....Wake Friday only at Kearns Funeral Home Woodhaven Blvd & 61 Ave http://kearnsfamily.com/rego ....... Mass Sat in the Ascension Church (behind the school across from 287/136 FH) http://www.churchoftheascension.org/directions.htm ......REST IN PEACE BROTHER.

http://www.watkinsst.com/news/index/layoutfile/home
RIP Capt.

This has been a bad week for me yesterday a found out about the death of Lt. Bill Bessman, who I knew as a fireman in Rescue 1, and today the death of Capt. Jack Boyle Eng. 5. Working on the Lower East side as a fireman in L-11 and later TL-18 in the 1970 and early 1980s I knew Capt. Jack Boyle as we ran in with Engine 5 often at Jobs in "Alphabet City" as the Lower East Side was called. I even had worked as a Covering Captain in Engine 5 and relived Captain Jack so he could be acting Battalion Chief for the tour. "Rest in Peace Jack" Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

RET FF GERALD A. GRIESER....
On 6-30-23 at 95 yrs of age....

REST IN PEACE BROTHER...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....

Gerald Grieser, a resident of Queens, New York, has passed away. He was born in the same city in 1927. Gerald's passing occurred peacefully in his sleep.

A memorial mass in his honor will be held on Monday, July 24th at 11:15 am at St Frances de Chantal, 1309 Wantagh Avenue, New York.

Gerald was employed by the FDNY for 41 years. He served in L123 in Brooklyn, NY and E313 in Queens NY. Additionally, he was a veteran of the US Navy.

No specific charity donations have been requested in Gerald's name.

REST IN PEACE BROTHER...THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (US NAVY) & FDNY....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.....

Gerald Grieser, a resident of Queens, New York, has passed away. He was born in the same city in 1927. Gerald's passing occurred peacefully in his sleep.

A memorial mass in his honor will be held on Monday, July 24th at 11:15 am at St Frances de Chantal, 1309 Wantagh Avenue, New York.

Gerald was employed by the FDNY for 41 years. He served in L123 in Brooklyn, NY and E313 in Queens NY. Additionally, he was a veteran of the US Navy.

RIP BROTHER

William McPhillips worked in L11 & B27. 37 years OTJ