FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
mack said:
Engine 331/Ladder 173  firehouse  158-57 Cross Bay Boulevard  Howard Beach, Queens

Ladder 173:

For our younger members, who weren't around in 1976, many of the FDNY apparatus and fire house doors were painted in the red, white, and blue to celebrate the Bicentennial Birthday of America. I heard talk that there was a contest for the best looking design. I had heard that the City was offering a prize but I don't really know if that was true or not.

Also, 1976 was at the height of the very busy War Years.

johnd248 said:
Was Capt. Vinnie Fowler of L 173 a LODD or was he in a different company?

I believe he was. He was caught in the basement of a private dwelling while looking for his "probie" who was also in the basement with him. I'm pretty sure that was the scenario. R.I.P. Sir.

mack

Administrator
John - Thanks for adding Captain Vinny Fowler, Ladder 173, who lost his life in 1999.

From Frank Raffa's website:

"The Lieutenant & the Proby

Friday, June 4, 1999. Just 1 day shy of the 1st anniversary of the death of Lieutenant James Blackmore (77-55-2044 6/5/98) the purple & black bunting again dons a firehouse. 

99-22-8943 - Thursday June 3, 1999

The South Ozone Park section of Queens is a quiet tree-lined community with rows of detached wood frame houses. The resident of 150-28 127 Street had just returned home from picking up his wife from work. Upon entering the house he discovered that his lights were out and he went to investigate.

In the basement, the circuit breaker panel had overheated and started a fire in the walls. At 1855 hours the alarm was transmitted with ladder 173 first due. Captain Vincent Fowler entered the basement to find the seat of the fire. Followed closely by probationary Fire Fighter Paul Torns, they clambered down a narrow flight of stairs and encountered Colliers Mansion type conditions.

A few minutes after water started the alarm went off in Paul Torns' mask. Under optimum conditions he had 6 minutes of air left. Captain Fowler ordered everyone out of the basement. The water was having no effect and the ceiling was beginning to give way. In the confusion Fowler lost track of Torns. He called out and started searching for him just as his bottle emptied.

Torns found him and gave Fowler a few shots of air from what remained in his tank. In the blinding smoke and confusion both men were unsure of the way out of the basement. With his last breath, Fowler yelled a Mayday into his radio and lost consciousness. Torns tried in vain to drag Fowler out of the basement but debris impeded his progress.

Help quickly arrived but it still took about 15 minutes to get out of the building. Captain Fowler was not breathing. He was brought to Jamaica Hospital where doctors had to restart his heart multiple times.

Amongst the family members that were keeping a vigil at the hospital was his father, retired Battalion Chief Vincent Fowler, brother Fire Fighters John & Andy Fowler, his wife, & 3 daughters.

At 1235 hours of June 4, Captain Fowler lost his last fight. Signal 5-5-5-5 rang out for the 771st time. In keeping with the highest tradition of the Department, Captain Fowler sacrificed his life for that of his "Proby.""

C'VILLE 7111 said:
Does PD still maintain a presence at 331's quarters?

Yes they do, sometimes you can see the boat behind quarters if you drive by as well as a few PD cars on Cross Bay Blvd.

Vinny was a Covering Cpt in DV*13 & was working in LAD*173 that night....he was supposed to get my spot in 126 when it was on the order....he was a great FF & Boss...a Public School on 109 Av & 108 St is named in his Honor....... i sold him his 1st car many years earlier....his Father was my 1st LT in 108....2 of his Brothers were FFs also......  CONTINUED RIP VINNY.

memory master said:
I believe the first rigs on Cross Bay Blvd. were a 1960 WLF "Fire Brand" for 331  and 173 had a 1955 FWD 75' wooden TDA.
331s 1st Rig was a 1960 Firebrand formerly 216.

mack

Administrator
FDNY Thomas E Crimmins Memorial Award    Captain Vincent G Fowler  13th Division

June 3, 1999, 1855 hours, Box 22-8943, 150-28 127th Street, Queens

Appointed to the FDNY on October 14, 1978. Previously assigned to Engine 234, Ladders 123 and 7, Battalion 9 and Divisions 14 and 15. Was a member of the Emerald Society. Cited for bravery three times previously. P.S. 108 in Queens was renamed in his honor. Attended York College. His father, Battalion Chief Vincent Fowler, is retired. Brothers, Andy, L-133, and John, L-176, are on the job. Lived in Holbrook, Long Island, with his wife, Ramona, and daughters, Stephanie, 14, Amy, 18, and Dina, 22.

On the evening of June 3, 1999, at 6:55 P.M., Ladder 173 and Engine 331 received a phone alarm for a fire at 150-28 127th Street in Howard Beach, Queens. Upon entering the block, Lieutenant Steven Stabiner of Engine 331 transmitted a 10-75 for a fire in a 20- x 40-foot, one-story private dwelling with a heavy smoke condition coming from the side entrance. As Ladder 173 pulled into the block behind them, Captain Vincent Fowler knocked on the rear window of the cab, ?We got a job,? alerting members of his company.
      Captain Fowler entered the side door with his can man, Probationary Firefighter Paul Torns, and Firefighter George Triptree with the irons. Immediately, they went down to the basement to locate the fire.
      As they reached the base of the stairs toward the front of the building, they encountered high heat, zero visibility and a Collyer?s mansion-type condition. Undaunted by the intense conditions and employing his 21 years of experience, Captain Fowler led FFs Triptree and Torns through the heat and clutter to try to locate the fire. The inconceivable volume of rubbish, household supplies and furniture that Ladder 173 and Engine 331 confronted impeded their efforts and made even the smallest progress time-consuming.
      Engine 331 now had a 13/4-inch hand-line down the stairs and with no visible fire, the basement was crowded and chaotic with little room to work. Crawling over waist-high rubble, freeing themselves of entanglements and moving obstructions, Captain Fowler and Ladder 173?s inside team finally made it to the room that contained the main fire. Following Captain Fowler?s directions, Engine 331 traced Ladder 173?s path to the fire area with the hand-line.
      Ladder 173, now trying to find access to the main body of fire, found this room encased with shelving and boxes. The only fire Engine 331 was able to hit with their hose stream was the rollover of burning gases at the ceiling level. In the midst of all the noise and confusion, Captain Fowler?s voice could be heard, calmly directing the operations.
      After several minutes of searching for access in claustrophobic conditions, the heat in the room started to bank down. At this point, Captain Fowler realized that the initial attack was making no headway and conditions were deteriorating. When several member?s Vibralert alarms activated, the Captain reluctantly ordered both companies to withdraw from the basement and notified the 39 Battalion. Fearing for the safety of his men, Captain Fowler called out to his forcible entry team and specifically FF Torns to personally ensure his proby?s safe retreat. Certain that everyone was in front of him and he would be the last man to leave the fire area, the Captain and FF Torns started to make their way out.
      Tragically, the obstructions that had slowed their advance now impeded their withdrawal. Captain Fowler (along with several members of both companies) depleted his SCBA cylinder before he could reach the basement stairs. He was forced to remove his face piece in a highly contaminated atmosphere.
      Hot, toxic gases entered his lungs, but Captain Fowler, still composed, kept his position in the rear, ensuring that every member got to the stairs before he did. Realizing the gases were about to bring him to the verge of collapse and he would not be able to extricate himself and FF Torns from the basement, Captain Fowler then uttered his final orders, ?Don?t panic. I?m going to transmit a mayday.?
    Unfortunately, Captain Fowler became disoriented and never had the opportunity to radio that mayday message. But, FF Torns didn?t panic. He stayed with Captain Fowler, shared his mask with him and tried to assist him out. Captain Fowler then collapsed and FF Torns tried to remove his officer until relieved by FF Anthony Tedeschi from Squad 270. FF Tedeschi gave a mayday.
      Captain Fowler?s final concerns were not for his own safety, but for his fellow firefighters. While directing the withdrawal of his men, Captain Fowler performed in the finest traditions of the New York City Fire Department. Due to his selfless commitment to the safety of his troops and the people of New York City, we honor him posthumously today."

New York City Fire Department website

mack said:
FDNY Thomas E Crimmins Memorial Award    Captain Vincent G Fowler  13th Division

June 3, 1999, 1855 hours, Box 22-8943, 150-28 127th Street, Queens

Appointed to the FDNY on October 14, 1978. Previously assigned to Engine 234, Ladders 123 and 7, Battalion 9 and Divisions 14 and 15. Was a member of the Emerald Society. Cited for bravery three times previously. P.S. 108 in Queens was renamed in his honor. Attended York College. His father, Battalion Chief Vincent Fowler, is retired. Brothers, Andy, L-133, and John, L-176, are on the job. Lived in Holbrook, Long Island, with his wife, Ramona, and daughters, Stephanie, 14, Amy, 18, and Dina, 22.

On the evening of June 3, 1999, at 6:55 P.M., Ladder 173 and Engine 331 received a phone alarm for a fire at 150-28 127th Street in Howard Beach, Queens. Upon entering the block, Lieutenant Steven Stabiner of Engine 331 transmitted a 10-75 for a fire in a 20- x 40-foot, one-story private dwelling with a heavy smoke condition coming from the side entrance. As Ladder 173 pulled into the block behind them, Captain Vincent Fowler knocked on the rear window of the cab, ?We got a job,? alerting members of his company.
      Captain Fowler entered the side door with his can man, Probationary Firefighter Paul Torns, and Firefighter George Triptree with the irons. Immediately, they went down to the basement to locate the fire.
      As they reached the base of the stairs toward the front of the building, they encountered high heat, zero visibility and a Collyer?s mansion-type condition. Undaunted by the intense conditions and employing his 21 years of experience, Captain Fowler led FFs Triptree and Torns through the heat and clutter to try to locate the fire. The inconceivable volume of rubbish, household supplies and furniture that Ladder 173 and Engine 331 confronted impeded their efforts and made even the smallest progress time-consuming.
      Engine 331 now had a 13/4-inch hand-line down the stairs and with no visible fire, the basement was crowded and chaotic with little room to work. Crawling over waist-high rubble, freeing themselves of entanglements and moving obstructions, Captain Fowler and Ladder 173?s inside team finally made it to the room that contained the main fire. Following Captain Fowler?s directions, Engine 331 traced Ladder 173?s path to the fire area with the hand-line.
      Ladder 173, now trying to find access to the main body of fire, found this room encased with shelving and boxes. The only fire Engine 331 was able to hit with their hose stream was the rollover of burning gases at the ceiling level. In the midst of all the noise and confusion, Captain Fowler?s voice could be heard, calmly directing the operations.
      After several minutes of searching for access in claustrophobic conditions, the heat in the room started to bank down. At this point, Captain Fowler realized that the initial attack was making no headway and conditions were deteriorating. When several member?s Vibralert alarms activated, the Captain reluctantly ordered both companies to withdraw from the basement and notified the 39 Battalion. Fearing for the safety of his men, Captain Fowler called out to his forcible entry team and specifically FF Torns to personally ensure his proby?s safe retreat. Certain that everyone was in front of him and he would be the last man to leave the fire area, the Captain and FF Torns started to make their way out.
      Tragically, the obstructions that had slowed their advance now impeded their withdrawal. Captain Fowler (along with several members of both companies) depleted his SCBA cylinder before he could reach the basement stairs. He was forced to remove his face piece in a highly contaminated atmosphere.
      Hot, toxic gases entered his lungs, but Captain Fowler, still composed, kept his position in the rear, ensuring that every member got to the stairs before he did. Realizing the gases were about to bring him to the verge of collapse and he would not be able to extricate himself and FF Torns from the basement, Captain Fowler then uttered his final orders, ?Don?t panic. I?m going to transmit a mayday.?
    Unfortunately, Captain Fowler became disoriented and never had the opportunity to radio that mayday message. But, FF Torns didn?t panic. He stayed with Captain Fowler, shared his mask with him and tried to assist him out. Captain Fowler then collapsed and FF Torns tried to remove his officer until relieved by FF Anthony Tedeschi from Squad 270. FF Tedeschi gave a mayday.
      Captain Fowler?s final concerns were not for his own safety, but for his fellow firefighters. While directing the withdrawal of his men, Captain Fowler performed in the finest traditions of the New York City Fire Department. Due to his selfless commitment to the safety of his troops and the people of New York City, we honor him posthumously today."

New York City Fire Department website
Thanks for sharing, Mack. Article is from FDNewYork.Com and is titled " The Lieutenant and The Probie."http://www.fdnewyork.com/99228943.asp
Continued RIP to Cpt. Fowler

The 2 lightning bolts on the front were part of the "Shazam" logo 216 had back when it was their Rig..

mack

Administrator
Engine 331's 1960 Ward LaFrance pumper:

The "Fireball" was a short wheel-based pumper package from WLF.  It was powered by a Chrysler V-8 engine and had either a 500 GPM or 750 GPM pump.  It was available as a conventional style, beginning in 1954, or a cab-forward style from 1959-1962.  The "Firebrand" was the name given to the "G" cab, cab-forward design built from 1959-1962.  Most Firebrands were powered by Waukesha gas motors and had either 750 GPM or 1000 GPM pumps.  FDNY purchased 16, cab forward G Series, 1000 GPM pumpers with 350 gallon tanks. Many served in busy War Years engine companies and a Bronx squad company.

68jk09 said:
Vinny was a Covering Cpt in DV*13 & was working in LAD*173 that night....he was supposed to get my spot in 126 when it was on the order....he was a great FF & Boss...a Public School on 109 Av & 108 St is named in his Honor....... i sold him his 1st car many years earlier....his Father was my 1st LT in 108....2 of his Brothers were FFs also......  CONTINUED RIP VINNY.

I agree Chief. Vinnie and I worked together in E-234 as Firefighters years ago. Great guy.

mack

Administrator

On May 16, 1999 P.S. 108 was renamed for and dedicated to Captain Vincent G. Fowler.

Local 94: http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/10501

http://schools.nycenet.edu/Region5/ps108/dedication.htm

PS 108 Principal Marie Biondollilo called Fowler a ?wonderful role model for our students, exemplifying what it means to be a hero.?

Students:

Captain Vincent Fowler - A Role Model for All    by Navita Paul

A tragedy occurred when the New York City Fire Department lost one of its bravest, Captain Vincent G. Fowler. Captain Fowler left behind a wife and three adoring daughters. One could only imagine the pain and suffering that his family is experiencing.

Captain Fowler lost his life while doing his duty, risking his life to protect the lives of others. In a world where most people care only for themselves, he showed that he was different by putting himself at risk first. This shows his commitment and dedication to the community as a whole and his loyalty to his peers and to the Fire Department.

In my opinion, Captain Fowler should be honored as a great leader and an example to young kids and aspiring firefighters. No amount of money could compensate him or any other firefighter for the risks that they take day in and day out. I speak for myself and for the entire P.S. 108 family when I say that we are proud to name our school after Captain Vincent G. Fowler, a man who is a role model for all of us.

P.S. 108Q Is Now The Vincent G. Fowler School    by Caroline Raak

I believe that P.S. 108Q should be named after Captain Vincent Fowler because he was a great man. Captain Vincent Fowler was a wonderful man because he was not only good man in his profession but he was also a great man in his home. I admire people who are that way. I also think that 108 should be named after Captain Vincent Fowler because he worked hard. He always had something thoughtful to say. All the work that Captain Vincent Fowler did is being paid back by naming a school after him. Unfortunately, Captain Fowler died at the age of 47. I think that naming a school after Captain Vincent Fowler is a fantastic award for his bravery. After all, Captain Vincent dedicated his life to saving other lives in danger, even though he knew it was dangerous. Captain Vincent died doing something that he loved. Captain Vincent was going to rescue someone, but unfortunately the fire caught Captain Vincent and caused him to die. All I'm trying to say is that I think P.S. 108 should be named after Captain Vincent G. Fowler.

A Good Idea  by Gina Barsattee

I think the idea of the school being named after Captain Fowler is one of the best ideas the school has ever had. School is important and so was firefighter Fowler. If you compare our school to firefighter Fowler, you will notice that they are both very much alike.

They both help people out. They both teach you. Firefighter Fowler was not a school teacher like my teacher or yours or the ones that teach in the school but he taught by example. What I'm trying to tell you is that basically an important place is being named after an important person! 

Naming Our School  by Balmatie Hargobin

When we named our school we needed to name it after someone who did something good for our community. We found such a person. It's Firefighter Vincent Fowler. He was not just a firefighter, he was a fire captain. He worked for years doing the same job, saving many lives in our community and others. He and all of the firefighters are brave, strong and caring. That's why we should all remember what Captain Vincent Fowler did for our community.

"What do I think of naming the school after Captain Vincent Fowler?"

I think it's a wonderful idea because everyone will remember who tried to help our community, teach us the right thing and lead us the right way.

Never forget.

mack

Administrator
Avalanche Hose 7  firehouse  East 240th Street at Webster Avenue  Woodlawn/Southern Yonkers

Organized 1893
    Incorporated  February 2, 1897

Avalanche Hose 7 was a volunteer fire company which protected Woodlawn and Southern Yonkers before FDNY Combined Engine Company 69 was organized at a new firehouse at 243 East 233rd Street (later home of Ladder 39).  Avalanche Hose 7 was located in McLeon Heights (currently the Woodlawn section of the Bronx), originally part of the City of Yonkers and included the land North of Gun Hill Road to Marble Hill. New York City annexed all the land between the Bronx River, Harlem River and the Hudson River and replaced volunteer fire companies with FDNY units.  The City of Yonkers also replaced volunteer fire companies beginning in 1896 with a professional, paid department - the Yonkers Fire Department.

http://www.yfd.org/history2.htm

Avalanche Hose 7 East 240th St and Webster Avenue:

Combined Engine Company 69 243 East 233rd Street:

Combined Engine Company 69:

Ladder 39's firehouse 243 E 233rd St:

Ladder 39:

New EMS Station 27 built at 243 E 233 St (former location of Ladder 39's firehouse):
EMS_27.jpg

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/events/2011/080511a.shtml

Woodlawn, Bronx:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlawn,_Bronx

mack

Administrator
Engine 283/Engine 283-2/Squad 4/Division 15 - firehouses - 214 Bristol Street and 885 Howard Avenue - Brownsville, Brooklyn

Engine 283 organized 214 Bristol Street                            1913
    Engine 283 new firehouse 885 Howard Avenue                  1973

Engine 283-2 organized 214 Bristol Street at Engine 283    1931
    Engine 283-2 disbanded                                                  1946

Division 15 located at 214 Bristol Street at Engine 283      1949-1956
    Division 15 located at 885 Howard Avenue                        1978-1995
    Division 15 became Division 7                                            1995
    Division 15 reorganized 885 Howard Avenue at Engine 283  1999

Brooklyn Eagle November 17, 1913:

1913 Department Orders:

Engine 283 at 214 Bristol Street:

Engine 283 1913 steamer:

Engine 283 1913 hose wagon:

Engine 283 1934:

Engine 283 - "busiest in Brooklyn" Brooklyn Eagle newspaper feature:

http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/59988943/?terms=engine+283+firehouse

Engine 283 Mack:

Engine 283 WLF CD spare 1950s:

Engine 283 1968 Mack:

Engine 283 1975 Mack:

Engine 283 1983 ALF:

Engine 283 Ferrara "Spirit of Louisiana" pumper:

Engine 283:

Squad 4:

Division 15:

885 Howard Avenue:

Engine 283 response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5w6lSTJeQ

Engine 283 Centennial:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/events/2013/112613a.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuMEk5UxBk

Engine 283 LODD:

Lt George Oates, Engine 283 and father of FF Joseph Oates, Ladder 113, line of duty death just prior to retirement March 3, 1949

FF Joseph Trainor, Engine 283, struck by falling cornice during fire, October 11, 1933

Brownsville:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownsville,_Brooklyn

Picture of 331 in reply # 955 appears to be @ the intersection of Loring Av & Elderts Lane right on the BKLYN / QNS border....the TSS sign in the background was the old Times Square Store on Linden Blvd & Elderts Lane....my Sister was shopping in the basement of TSS on the night the '77 Blackout occured....she said the lights went out & when the emergency generator kicked in many miscreants were already running out of the store w/unpaid goods.

mack

Administrator
Times Square Store - TSS - Linden Blvd, Brooklyn:

Wikipedia:

"Times Square Stores (also called TSS and TSS Seedman's) was an American department store chain based in New York that operated from 1929 to 1989. By the late 1980s the chain operated 12 stores in New York and 6 in Puerto Rico, and an off-price ladies' apparel chain, Finders Keepers, which had 15 locations. The New York department stores ranged in size from 160,000 to 220,000 square feet (20,000 m2). During its prime it was considered Long Island's most prominent discount department store chain.

The chain was founded in 1929 by George Seedman. In 1983 the company explored an initial public offering on the American Stock Exchange, but backed out in 1984 after learning investors would only pay about 66% of the company's desired price.

George Seedman continued to own and run the chain until 1987, when, at the age of 90, he began looking for buyers. Price Club (later renamed Costco) announced plans to buy an 81% stake in the company for $50 million in 1987. After Seedman learned of plans to convert the TSS stores to warehouse clubs, the sale did not go through, and TSS was sold to the Pritzker family of Chicago later in 1987 for the same price.

Although it was a discount chain, by the 1980s its main markets were Nassau and Suffolk Counties, two of the richest in America at the time. Nine of their twelve modern-sized stores were on Long Island, one in Brooklyn on Linden Blvd, in Queens on Farmers Blvd, and in the Metro Mall on Metropolitan Ave, and another in The Bronx. The chain began to struggle in the late 1980s and took drastic cost-cutting measures: downsizing stores and eliminating leased departments in a mistaken belief that the company could operate those departments more efficiently itself. In the early 1980s the chain attempted to stake a claim in Northern New Jersey when it leased 2 vacant, former Two Guys locations. The plan was to gauge reaction to these two large stores (150,000 sq/ft each), and then plan further expansion into New Jersey. Neither location lived up to expectations, and the two stores were first downsized to one level each and then shuttered.

On December 4, 1989, the chain, which had about 2,875 employees by then, filed for bankruptcy and announced it would close its doors on December 31, 1989. Three stores remained open for liquidation until June 1990."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square_Stores

mack

Administrator
Spirit of Louisiana Fire Engine - In December of 2001, the Ferrara pumper was delivered to Engine 283 after being purchased with donations from Louisiana citizens who wanted to help NYC after the WTC attack.

Return of pumper - Sept. 8, 2005:

"Billy Ladell, FDNY Dispatcher assigned to the Field Comm. Unit, reports "10-84" in New Orleans at 1900 on Thursday September 8. The contingent of 14 support vehicles and the Ferrara pumper that Louisiana donated to the F.D.N.Y. after 9/11 drove straight through, covering the 1300 plus miles in 2 days.

The 300 F.D.N.Y.  members that flew down on Sunday are being used to relieve NOFD members. The contingent is quartered at Holy Cross College (yes, there's another one besides Worcester) at Gen. DeGaulle Ave. & Woodland Dr., adjacent to the quarters of NOFD Eng. 17."

Engine 283 members in New Orleans:

Full story from the Signal 51 Group (supports the Fire Department of the City of Shreveport) website below: 

http://signal51group.com/Eng_283/Eng_283.htm

Follow-up:
"Spirit of Louisiana" pumper was used by NOFD until 2010 and decommissioned.  It was refurbished by Ferrara and assigned to the state Fire Marshal's office for emergency assistance requests. 

In 2012, at the request for help from the City of Long Beach, Long Island, after hurricane Sandy damage, the Fire Marshal sent the "Spirit of Louisiana" pumper to help. 

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/06/louisiana-sends-spirit-of-louisiana-fire-truck-to-long-beach/

http://www.wafb.com/story/20006519/fire-marshal-dispatches-the-spirit-of-louisiana-to-long-island

Status
Not open for further replies.