FDNY Chief Officer Cars and Vehicles

Chief Hugh Halligan, 7th Division, had one of these ('52 Chevy) back when the 7th covered most of the borough. 

Back in the mid fifties, a rig similar to this one was parked outside 48 Engine (original quarters) as  my father and I walked by. I had never seen this model of chiefs car. None of the battalion chiefs in the Bronx had them. It was distinctive because it had a MARS light (or a beacon light?) mounted on the cab. None of the local battalion cars had any roof lights up to that point. Guess the Deputy got the new and the best stuff.

Just as we walked by, the door to quarters opened and the chief stepped onto the sidewalk. He immediately greeted my father, who had been his driver for a while in Harlem when Halligan was chief of the 4th Division and my dad a senior man in H&L 14. Halligan also resided in our neighborhood, on Perry Avenue in Bedford park, before he moved to Parkchester. (I guess they drank in the same gin mill, Murray's then, the Jolly Tinker today.) They chatted for a bit and the chief tussled my hair upon introduction.

I later learned that when my father was promoted, it was Halligan who got him assigned to E88, where Halligan began his career prior to WWI.  Always believed after that, the Chief sent his best to the best.

All these personal memories, spurred just by the picture of an old chiefs car. Thanks.

G-Man, as always, is correct. Some of the late 1930's Ahrens Fox distinctive pumpers hung around until replaced by the 58-59 CF Mack's. After 1956, however, they were no longer front line pieces,  mostly used as hose wagons or other second (reserve) pieces.

A little known fact:

The design for the '58/59 CF Mack was originally done by Ahrens Fox. The prototype was produced circa 1954/55, but the company went into receivership and Mack bought the design.

Ahrens Fox would have replaced its stalwart model of the late 1930's with a massive contract if they had only been able to hang on for a few years.

After WWII, the FDNY decided to purchase 750GPM pumpers. There were a lot available on the cheap as military surplus. The 1000GPM's of the 1930's ( Seagaves', Mack's, Ahrens Fox', Ward LaFrance') were retired from front line service during the 1950's. But their value as larger capacity pumpers kept them around as second pieces  for a number of years. Example: E88's 1936 Mack 1000GPM pumper served at E2 on the West Side from 1953 until the late 50's as a pumper/hose wagon.

3511:  I beg to differ.  It was the "C" model, not the "CF" model, that was originally designed (and built) by Ahrens Fox. One of these was purchased by the Hempstead (Nassau County) NY FD, and served there for many years.  Here it is:

fcb_fce_ecb_12762.jpg

Here's a couple more:

fcb_fce_ecb_1.jpg

fcb_fce_ecb_12761.jpg

"C" Model it is, ray. My mistake.

I believe I saw the Hempstead Ahrens at a muster at Kings Point about 20 years ago.

My personal belief is that this model was the first of the truly modern pumpers. Its design concept and many of its features remain standard today.

Can anyone  identify this Chief Car?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/185495_238552436176529_6229171_n.jpg

"That's B44's  car...1962 Dodge Dart. The Department ordered 19 of them and they went to Battalion Chiefs and Medical Officers."

Eye of the Storm L132 leaving the quarters of L120, back in the day!

Either a '65 or a '66 . . . can't tell without a better view of the taillights or a look at the front grille.