FDNY Chief Officer Cars and Vehicles

kfd274 said:
Here is one for you apparatus historians.  What is the command vehicle on the left of L20?

FDNY. Ladder 20

I dont think thats a dept owned vehicle. Judging by the headlight it looks to be a late 80s Toyota Camry and i dont think the dept brought any of those It could be a personal car.

I saw this photo recently. It is supposed to be Bushwick, Brooklyn I think in 1973 and the chief car is a 1972 Plymouth Fury.

NYPD had many '72 Fury sedans but FDNY didn't have any '72 Fury wagons. FDNY did have 1973 Fury wagons. I actually had ordered a brand new red '73 Fury wagon and was pleasantly surprised when the '73 wagons appeared. I coincidently wound up with the 'correct' FDNY "buff wagon" back in those days.

Put your glasses on Gman. It may be a 73 Fury but it is still a sedan..................lol.

fdce54 said:
Put your glasses on Gman. It may be a 73 Fury but it is still a sedan..................lol.
Yes, a 1973 Gran Fury sedan. I typed without engaging the brain. ::) :-[

kfd274 said:
.........The picture is from the "Bushwick Burn Tests" conducted on at least a dozen vacant frames in 1974.....the tests were to evaluate different things the biggest was to see if there was a material that could be retrofitted in common cocklofts to stem Fire spread (nothing really worked)......john t ohagan the FC/COD at the time conducted the tests in conjunction w/Poly Tech Univ  (he liked live burns for tests...he also burned some vacant commercial bldgs slated for demo to study the effects of a simulated open floor plan hi-rise office bldg after the One NY Plaza Fire around 1970).........the Tiller rig in the photo is a fairly new '74 Seagrave since it still has the shortlived sliding Tiller canopy which was replaced w/a fixed canopy w/sliding side doors by Seagrave shortly after the FDNY had started purchasing them in '74..........i am not sure about the sedan....could it be one of the '70 Fords that DIV & Staff Chiefs had back then ?..........in the excellent photo book titled "FIRE !" by Steve Scher that was published in 1978 by Harry N. Abrams Inc. N.Y. the foldout centerfold has pictures of the Bushwick tests.

guitarman314 said:
fdce54 said:
Yes, a 1973 Gran Fury sedan. I typed without engaging the brain. ::) :-[

Not A "Gran Fury", just a plain ole "Fury I."  Plymouth had the Fury I, Fury II and Fury III. I had a '73 Fury I with a 318 engine and boy was that a roomy, good running vehicle.