FDNY's New rigs

F

firekid52a

tbendick said:
This is the line drawing for the new rig.

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=711.0;attach=58

its an extended cab truck?

firekid52a said:
tbendick said:
This is the line drawing for the new rig.

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=711.0;attach=58

its an extended cab truck?

I think you mean a raised cab... and its an engine... hahaha im just busting your chops

F

firekid52a

woops missed that  :p damn i hate thoes trucks and what do you mean look at the site on weds the trucks r gonna be here

Bulldog

Bulldog
Why does FDNY still carry hard suction in such an accessible position?  It seems like the space could be put too much better use with additional compartments (possibly eliminating the need for the box on top?).  Granted there's a lot of water where they can draft but they don't do it very often so putting the hard suction up high like many departments do doesn't seem like it would be a very big problem.

In my day, engines were required to "hook up" with hard suctions on multiple alarm fires.  I don't when, if ever, this stopped.  Drafting is done, granted on a limited basis, but all companies drill on it.  The hoses are there for when they are needed.

I've heard that these new 2000 GPM pumpers can be used to create an emergency pipeline in the event of a catastrophy involving the NYC Water Supply System. If there was a break, these units can lay a temporary large diameter hose pipeline. They're all capable ofsupplying the Satellites and manifolds so having the hard suction there may be the right thing. ;)

Bulldog

Bulldog
As I stated earlier, I completely understand why they carry it but I don't understand why they carry it where they do.  It could be raised allowing additional space for compartments to carry the large volume of equipment they require.  It still wouldn't be any harder to access than the box on top of the cab (probably easier) and equipment they needed more often would be more accessible.

The last I knew engine companies no longer "hooked up" with hard section on multiple alarm fires but rather just used soft suction.

Its also a tradition thing, look at the old macks were set up this way, the first gen. segraves were set up this way and so on and so forth. The FDNY engines and ladders will probably be set up the way the are today for a long time, why fix something that already works?

Bulldog

Bulldog
RPM3311 said:
Its also a tradition thing, look at the old macks were set up this way, the first gen. segraves were set up this way and so on and so forth. The FDNY engines and ladders will probably be set up the way the are today for a long time, why fix something that already works?

There has to be more to it than that. FDNY is one of the most progressive fire departments in the world so they wouldn't keep something on the rigs without a good reason.  They are always evolving and adding new equipment and space on the engines is always at a premium so there must be a very good reason for keeping the hard suction like it is.  Also if you look at some of the pictures of the later year Macks some of them had high compartments with the suction on top of the compartments.  Specifically looking at engine 10's 1988 Mack in FDNYtrucks.com.

Hopefully someone with some firsthand knowledge will reply.

Bulldog said:
RPM3311 said:

There has to be more to it than that. FDNY is one of the most progressive fire departments in the world so they wouldn't keep something on the rigs without a good reason.  They are always evolving and adding new equipment and space on the engines is always at a premium so there must be a very good reason for keeping the hard suction like it is.  Also if you look at some of the pictures of the later year Macks some of them had high compartments with the suction on top of the compartments.  Specifically looking at engine 10's 1988 Mack in FDNYtrucks.com.

Hopefully someone with some firsthand knowledge will reply.

If you have ever been in NYC and seen the FDNY work. You see the engines pull in Sideways close to the hydrant so the use the hard suction hose. The reson why the dont add any more compartments is THEY DONT'T NEED THEM. they have everything they need on the engine.

Hard suction is used when working at multiple alarm fires because a few pumpers may be drawing from the same main. Then the pressure coming out of those hydrants may be very low (50 to 100 p.s.i.).

Bulldog

Bulldog
guitarman314 said:
  Hard suction is used when working at multiple alarm fires because a few pumpers may be drawing from the same main. Then the pressure coming out of those hydrants may be very low (50 to 100 p.s.i.).

50 to 100 psi is low pressure?  Many times when I've been a pump operator I'd give my left arm for that much pressure.  Low suction pressure is when you have to keep your leg against your suction line to make sure it doesn't collapse when you're using more water than the main can provide!  Hard suction also takes significantly longer and more manpower than soft suction of course compared to most departments manpower isn't an issue for FDNY.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that there is confusion about those "Black" Hoses on the side of the rigs.  Depending on the unit you may have two or three hanging there.  One is  3 1/2" soft suction, used by most units.  This is why it's on the side and easy to reach and get down.  There others are the hard suctions and are rarely used.  When they tried the macks with the compartments and the suctions on the top it made it a real pain to get down and in service. 

As far as compartment space, we could always use it, they add stuff to our inventory all the time.  This is why the compartment on the top of the new rigs. Put up the least used stuff and keep some room down on the bottom.

M

mmattyphoto

One new 2000 gal. pumper is in at the shops. It's marked for the Training school.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Matty Daly has a set for us to post, they will be up later tonight, when he gets home from work.  There are some floating around today, so someone might be posting a few here during the day. Last night was the Fire Bell Club Meeting at the Shops and the new Rig was on display.

whats everyones thoughts? Do you think he next batch of engines will be this design or the older design? I like this design but I'd rather them go with the older current design.

J

ja488

RPM3311 said:
whats everyones thoughts? Do you think he next batch of engines will be this design or the older design? I like this design but I'd rather them go with the older current design.

This is the "next batch". Seagrave is no longer making the Commander cab.