FDNY's New rigs

I BELIEVE THEY EXPECT TO RECEIVE 33 OF THIS MODEL THIS YEAR.  TOTAL ORDER WAS AROUND 67 ENGINES.

ja488 said:
RPM3311 said:
whats everyones thoughts? Do you think he next batch of engines will be this design or the older design? I like this design but I'd rather them go with the older current design.

This is the "next batch". Seagrave is no longer making the Commander cab.

what i ment was without the raised roof, and with the engine back in the middle like the older style

What you saw (raised roof, engine in the middle, yada, yada) is what we'll be getting for a while so we'll have to get get used to it. This cab style includes the next batches of tower ladders and rearmounts. 8)

its going to take 3 years to get all the 70 pumpers in starting at the end of this year

F

firekid52a

anyone have any new updates on this or the new battalion cars like what there going to get?

Can someone from FDNY tell me how much your Dept. pays for a new Engine, Ladder (tower, rear-mount, tiller) & Rescue.

B

bklynfdny

I saw 3 of the new engines today. engine 3 engine 317 and a training engine. the first one of the order is the training rig. it has SP080001 on it. the front of them looks a little wierd. they all have red LEDs that are different than older rigs. but all in all they look pretty good

10SEVENTY5

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/5195742_hXuED#P-1-21

pics Of the New Engine 317...

Bulldog

Bulldog
What's the large connection on the driver's side of the front bumper?  It looks like it has to be a 5" discharge.  The front bumper is certainly cluttered for a normal engine, suction, gated discharge and this connection.  Rescue engines usually have a congested front bumper but conventional engines normally don't.

Bulldog said:
What's the large connection on the driver's side of the front bumper?  It looks like it has to be a 5" discharge.  The front bumper is certainly cluttered for a normal engine, suction, gated discharge and this connection.  Rescue engines usually have a congested front bumper but conventional engines normally don't.
  It is a 5" discharge

Are any of these new rigs in service yet. Havent seen or heard of any unit going for training on new pumpers. Wonder what is causing delays in placing rigs into field.

mac8146 said:
Are any of these new rigs in service yet. Havent seen or heard of any unit going for training on new pumpers. Wonder what is causing delays in placing rigs into field.

They have to be tested prior to being accepted by the department. They still belong to seagrave until they pass the pumping test, hill climbing and other tasks that they run every rig through prior to being accepted.

I know of the acceptance testing, however I have seen pics of this taking place weeks ago at brooklyn navy yard, have spoken to shop mechanics and they say many rigs are in new jersey dealer but not yet here. Was wondering if any company has started training or is there a problem being fixed prior to entering service. Seems like it is taking to long to get these rigs into service.

J

ja488

Heard they went back to seagrave after low pressure during the drafting. But that is hearsay.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Last rumor was they failed the pump test for some reason.  I guess the drafting could be part of it. 

I may be wrong,but I was looking at the pictures from that 6th alarm in Brooklyn last week and thought I saw one of the new pumpers.  I couldnt see what company it was, but it looked like one of the new ones.  Are any of them in service yet?

dillondotcom said:
I may be wrong,but I was looking at the pictures from that 6th alarm in Brooklyn last week and thought I saw one of the new pumpers.  I couldnt see what company it was, but it looked like one of the new ones.  Are any of them in service yet?

where did you see pictures from that? I've been looking for them.

Had mechanic at quarters today says none of the new rigs are in service yet. Problem with low engine idle during drafting tests. Probably due to pressure governor, which may have to be reprogrammed or such to allow proper pressure idles when in draft mode, seems like it wouldnt throttle up to proper pressure. Nothing on New TLs yet no word on when.