MANS BEST FRIEND.

mack

Administrator
43 Battalion used to ride with BC's Dalmatian "Rex". Early 1970s.

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 18
I remember back in the late 80’s, and into the 90’s, E 218 had a dog I believe his name was Wolfe. This guy made all the runs 24/7, and they were and active company. I remember seeing him at jobs guarding the rig until the co. took up. That was one tough dog, it was enough to wear out the strongest.
I recall running with Wolfe, he patrolled the area at fire scenes. Once he got lost, an all points bullitin was sent out to all firehouses and Wolfe was found miles away in downtown Brooklyn by a fire company and returned. Many firehouses had mascots. At L 38 we had a beautiful cat. At L 31 we had two dogs. But the reality is firehouse life for pets is probably not a good life. Too many different personalities and heavy equipment moving back and forth.

One quick funny note: At L 112 we opened the firehouse door early summer morning and like a bolt of lightening a white chihuaha ran into the firehouse. We have no idea where he came from, but he wanted to hang with us. We fed him, picked up his poop and decided to make him a "Toy Dalmation" using a few light smudges of black shoe polish. Later that afternoon, just as he arrived, he peeled out of the firehouse to wherever he lived. Our "No Frills" Toy Dalmation for a day.

I remember we had a young stray Dalmatian that somebody brought to the firehouse, hoping that we would take it in.

So we did and we also had a story put into our local newspaper looking for the owner of that lost dog. Meanwhile we took care of it feeding it and taking the dog for his poo poo and pee pee walks.

But after about two weeks, nobody claimed the dog. So we asked the Chief if we could keep it and he said; "Okay, but he stays in the firehouse". Some of us were disappointed that he couldn't ride the rig, but at least we were able to keep him.

Next we follow up with a "name that dog contest". Most of us decide to chip in for a prize going to the winner. It was a $100 U.S. Savings Bond as I remember. Again we go to the local newspaper with the story to name that dog.

The names come in and we have plenty of letters to review.
As I remember, we got the senior citizens involved in picking the best name for our new firehouse dog.

The name is chosen. Our dog is named "Nero" and it has something to do with the burning of Rome.

Things go along pretty good but the problem is, "we are not always in the firehouse to feed the dog, give it water, or take it for it's needed walks".

As Mr Gage mentions in his comment, "reality is, firehouse life for pets is probably not a good life".

After a few months, we learned that and decided to put Nero up for adaption.
A family adapted him and they would stop by to say hello and bring Nero with them to visit us.
They had a couple of kids and they were very happy that they had gotten this very famous Firehouse Dog, named "Nero".

So as it turned out, everybody was happy.
We were happy
That family and kids were happy
But MOST IMPORTANTLY, "Nero" was happy.

In my years at E 248, we "adopted" a cat and named her "Probie". She was found in front of quarters hiding from a rainstorm under a member's car. We were always fearful she would get hit by the engine or the chief's car. One day she was found to be pregnant and that was the end of her time in the firehouse.

NY Post-Illinois police dog killed during shootout between authorities and suspect
By
David Propper
May 25, 2023 1:10am

A brave police dog was killed in an exchange of gunfire between deputies and a carjacking suspect in a Chicago suburb Wednesday afternoon.
The slain K9 officer, named Hudson, was hailed a hero following the 2 p.m. shootout that also left the suspect dead.
“We have a very large K9 unit, the largest outside of Cook County, and it’s a very close knit family,” Kane County Sheriff Ron Hain said during the news conference, adding. “This is a big loss for us. He was a great dog.”
The carjacking suspect opened fire after he crashed the vehicle at an intersection during a police pursuit, authorities said.
The slain K9 officer, named Hudson, was hailed a hero following the shootout that also left the suspect dead.ABC 7
When he got out of the car with a handgun, the police dog charged and bit him, Hain said.
The dog was shot during a shootout between deputies and the unidentified man, Hain said.
The suspect’s name and age were not released Wednesday.
The dog was named after a fallen Illinois state trooper and was a member of the narcotics detection unit, Hain said.
The carjacking suspect opened fire after he crashed the vehicle at an intersection during a police pursuit, authorities said.ABC 7When he got out of the car with a handgun, the police dog charged and bit the suspect.ABC 7
Later Wednesday, K9 Hudson’s body made his final approach to the sheriff’s office as department personnel and other police dogs saluted the slain canine.
“This is a big loss for us, but he’s an absolute hero today, along with our deputies who brought this to a successful close without injury to any innocent civilians,” Hain said.

Speaking of animals, anyone have a rough idea of how many houses still have dogs in quarters these days? I can think of some off the top of my head, maybe a dozen or so? Some most notably being L20, E74, L176 (who all happen to be dalmatians)...

229/146 has a member that brings his dog, use to be two (RIP Brody.)
243/168 has Benson, not sure if he is a members Dog and he brings him with or if he stays at the Firehouse.

HC7

Speaking of animals, anyone have a rough idea of how many houses still have dogs in quarters these days? I can think of some off the top of my head, maybe a dozen or so? Some most notably being L20, E74, L176 (who all happen to be dalmatians)...
Frankie (English Black Lab) - E220/L122 - Member Brings Him In & Is In The House Fairly Often.
IMG_1712.jpeg
Duke (E276/L156/B33).

IMG_1713.jpegIMG_1714.jpeg

Also I Know E236 Had Lola For Awhile, Not Sure If They Still Do.