My younger Buff years

Thanks "bklyndisp54" for that photo. With all this talk about CD Pumpers, I just couldn't picture what the guys were talking about. Thanks to you, I now vaguely remember seeing a few of these rigs. And somebody mentioned about the bon fires on election night. I can remember that too.
  Getting back to those CD Pumpers, I remember a few of the pumpers in Bridgeport and Stratford, Ct having pumpers with CD Decals on those rigs. Bridgeport had American La France and Stratford had a few Macks, of course all open cabs. This might have been in the 1950s. They were all assigned as regular Engine companies though.
  So to all, I thank you for that info.

That photo is located at nyfd.com and you are viewing it at a link to them.  So I have no details to offer.

Would like to see more CD pumper photo's, as that was my all-time favorite rig... but the pic shown is all I could find.

Maybe at the Mand library?  Hmmmm. 

thanks for the pic bklyndisp54...........After looking at the apparatus book in the commanders office the CD rig stored in quarters was a 1952......I only reason I remembered doors was the brothers make them out of wood when we used the CD as a assigned rig....

G-man,  The picture u posted sure looks like 283 was using CD32 as a spare. A chauffer, officer and the boys on the back step.  The same was done in the past in our house. The assigned rig went OOS, we used the CD22 rig until our rig came back from shops.

HCO

Re CD pumpers:

The Mand Library, at the FDNY Fire Academy, which has almost 20,000 photos of FDNY apparatus, both past and present, does have individual photos of all of the 65 Ward La France CD pumpers of 1952 (thirty CD1 thru CD30), 1953 (ten CD31 thru CD40) and 1954(twenty-five CD41 thru CD65). There are slight differences in appearance between each of the three year deliveries. They can be viewed at the Library, however no copies of photos can be made.

Thank You "HCO" on that info about the CD Pumpers. For me, this was a learning experence. I learned how many CD rigs there were, how they were manned and pretty much what houses they were kept at. I thank you and the others for that.
  And maybe somebody can help me here too. After the War Years and things started slowing down, one of my favorite things was to spend time over at the Fire Academy. It was a great place to buff out of as the bridge would take you to the South Bronx, Harlem and Northern Queens without too much trouble. I really enjoyed watching the guys train and probadly picked up a few tricks watching. Also I enjoyed going to the Mand Library and it sure was a great place to get rig shots.
  Then when 9/11 came that all changed. Security was posted at the gate and no longer could I watch or take pictures. I didn't even ask about going to the Mand Library. So for the last few years, I haven't even tried. Is there a way that it is possible to watch and take pictures like I used to, at "The Rock" without going through the Third Degree. I even thought about getting a letter from my dept saying that I am a retired firefighter.
  I miss all that, but I don't want to step on anybody's toes. I only visit NY now about once a month or so. If you can help, I appreciate it.

I recieved two "PMs" today (10/28/09) which I am very thankful for. One was from a member of this site offering his help in my interest to visit the Mand Library again. I will follow his advice and hopefully visit one of my favorite spots again. The Mand Library at "The Rock". Thank you for your concern and help.
  The other "PM" I recieved was from a "friend" of Lt Richard Hamiltons, "Younger Son". I talked about Lt Hamilton on page one at the very beginning of My Younger Buff Years. I had been trying to find out about him for a very long time. This member said that Lt Hamilton now lives in California, but is not in good health. He is fighting his health problems as he fought the fires he fought. In his book, 20,000 Alarms, I think one chapter is called : "I'll be home for Christmas-maybe". He responded to both the plane collision in Brooklyn/S.I., and shortly after the ship fire, "The Constallation". (I believe he suffered severe burns to his hands at that fire). I think both have been discussed on this site. During his years of Rescue 2, he had a HUGE Impact on both myself and my brother "georged4997". Way back in 1968 is when Lt Hamilton introduced us first to the Greatest Fire Dept in the World. "The FDNY". We both followed it ever since.
  Once again, hats off to this web sites owners, who funds this on their own. If it wasn't for this site, I would NOT have been contacted about our long time friend and Role Model, Lt Richard Hamilton, retired FDNY. Thank You.

Willie D: you might try to contact Honarary Chief of the Department Jack Lerch about the Mand Library and access to it.  He worked there for years and I am not sure if he is still there.  He is a great source of information.

Good evening gentlemen. I just registered to the site and this is my first post. I have been enjoying this site very much for quite some time now and wanted to share my thanks to the many stories. I grew up in the 60's and 70's in Lancaster County PA. and my father and brothers were very active in a volunteer company about 1 mile outside of Lancaster City. My biggest ambition was to be either a Philadelphia or New York City firefighter. My dad was the Assist. Chief and Chief for about 25 years and my brother was a Captain. I liked working the nozzle and getting right into the thick of things.
  I can remember in the mid seventies we would listen to Philly and FDNY on our old Plectron scanner and recorded many of those nights in disbelief of the amount of fires taking place. I read Richard Hamilton's 20,000 Alarms and Dennis Smith's Report from Engine Co. 82. I meet Dennis at the Lancaster County Fire Expo around 1975 and he signed my book. I remember one night while listening an Engine, Ladder and BC had a 4 story tenement fully involved and asked for an additional engine and ladder and the dispatcher told them it would be at least 1 1/2 hours to get them any help. I guess this was the normal situation in those times.
  Unfortunately my ambitions did not come to light for many reasons but my heart is still there. If anyone is interested I can post a web site for Lancaster County-Wide Communications? It is a very good web site and lists all the Lancaster County Company's and there individual web sites. I belonged to Lafayette Fire Company.

"Whiteoak40", Welcome aboard. As you can probadly tell, you weren't the only one listening to the FDNY on a scanner with "sheer amazement" in those very Busy War Years. For anybody that was around then, we all remember those dispatchers struggling to get an Engine or a Ladder as soon as they became available. I hope you got a chance to play some of the audios that "r1smokeater" posted from the War Years.
  You mentioned Philly. There is a good web site out there called www.PhillyFireNews.com . They have alot of great stories, rig shots, and history on it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think also Lancaster County, Pa is on it too. But if you want to know about the FDNY, "this is the place to be". (We got a few guys on here that I think were Buffs before the FDNY started --- "Sorry Guys").

Thanks "nfd2004" I spend many an evening just reading the posts and the rundowns. Thanks for the information on Philly. I am in the process of trying to find the cassette tapes I had which are probably in the attic. www.lcwc.co.lancaster.pa.us this should get you to the Lancaster County site if not just google Lancaster County-Wide Communications. I have great interest in architecture and old firehouses are on the top of my list. I am a production manager for a large commercial mill house and also have my own business doing residential millwork. I would love to come to NYC and take pictures of the fire stations. I have seen many of the pictures on this site and I believe it or not use them to design some of my millwork.
  I get a chuckle out of the friendly digs of the other members, but that is one of the great things about firefighters. One minute your really on them and the next minute you have their back.

A story from those days about "no companies available." One day in 82 at a job the deputy (6th Div.) tells me that they had just gotten orders from Com. O'Hagan that they are forbidden to transmit additional alarms for vacants. I just said "you do what you have to and so will we." A couple of days later we get a good job about two blocks from qtrs. H type building 5 stories with heavy fire 2nd floor apartment. Busy day and we are there alone with 31. We knock down the 2nd floor. Fire was extending to upper floors. Was a pretty good building, still intact. We knock down the fire in the 3rd and 4th floor apartments. I remember getting to the 5th floor landing and seeing heavy smoke pushing under two apartment doors. My guys get up there with the line and I just said "leave the line and come with me." We go down stairs, a couple of engines are there operating in the other wing of the building. Same deputy is in the street that told me no more multiples. I said to him "we knocked down the fires on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors, you have heavy fire in the two top floor apartments, my guys have had it we are going back to qtrs for either R&R or wait for the medical officer to be examined". He couldn't say anything ( I was a deputy for 17 years so I know the game), just said O.K. take the R&R.Never heard about "no multiples again." Interesting days.

As Capt ******* of "82" said about being forbidden from transmitting multiple alarms for Vacants, the Buffs had also heard rumor of that. Knocking down fire on the second floor, then going to the 3rd, and 4th floor to knock down the fire, all while using one Engine and one Ladder is unimaginable for even the most "Seasoned Firefighters" today. For anybody who wasn't around during these "War Years", now you can understand why these guys are referred to as "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters". One Engine Company and a Truck, knocking down three floors of fire in an "H" type building. "Were these guys Firefighters or What" !!!
  I am very Thankful that we have the Captain of Engine 82 who was there during those extremely busy peak War Years of 1973-1976. I appreciate all the stories he has shared with us. Not only the Captain of 82, but as we all know, he also served as the Lt of Engine 50. Another busy War Years Company. He retired as a very high ranking Chief Officer within the FDNY. A Hard Earned and Well Deserved Position.
  Chief *******, we can only hope that you are enjoying your well deserved retirement. I think it is safe for me to say that You and your Brothers have the Highest Respect from all of us Firefighters and Buffs on this site.
  "THANK YOU"

When I was growing up in Queens I seem to remember the 59 Battalion being formed and then shut down within a 10 year span. For some if not all of this time I remember them being in quarters with E-319. These were not very busy areas during this time. Does anyone know why the 59 was created and then why it was disbanded?

How many out there remember the 17th Division in Brooklyn?  I believe they were in Bushwick somewhere and didn't stay around all that long.

johnd248..The 17th Div was established back in the war years and quartered at the E 252 which now is known as Squad 252.