My younger Buff years

Yes, I can remember the 17th Division, the 59 and 60 Battalions. As somebody said, "59" was with Engine 252, now Sq 252. But where were the 17th Div and 60th Batt. ? I'm just guessing that they were closed down during the budget cuts of the mid 1970s. When you think about it now, these companies and many others were cut during the busiest time in History. In fact thats why they were probadly added in the first place. No wonder the word was out, don't go to a multiple alarm for a vacant building fire.
  I remember watching the TV News and they were interviewing several people in the neighborhood of Eng 60 and Lad 17. They were cutting Ladder 17-2 and the people were saying the reason there are two ladder trucks in the same firehouse is because there were so many fires. I'm sure the 59, and 60 along with the 17th Div got cut all around the same time.

Regarding the 17th Div, 59th Batt and the 60th Batt..........Div 17 was indeed quartered at E 252 which is now known as Squad 252 in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn. The 17th was established in Oct. 1969 and disbanded in July 1975. They were put into service due to the war years. For the 59th Batt, they were re-established and quartered at E 319 in Middle Village, Queens from July 1984 to Nov 1989.
The 59 took over the workload for the 51st (who moved from E 294 to E 308), 46th and the 28th Batt's. The 59 did approx 2200 runs per year. The 59 went into service the same day the Haz Mat Unit was established. The 59 had a great bunch of bosses when it started at E 319...The 59 Commander was BC McQuade from Batt 33 with BC Moro from Batt 55, BC Miller from Batt 34 and BC Devlin from the rock. I rode very often with the Batt since I was an Auxiliary Capt. assigned to E 319.........And yes turk182 hit it on the head. The 60 was established in Oct. 1970 and disbanded July 1975. They were quartered with E 218 who was the only co. in the 60th Batt.

The 60th Battalion was what they called a roving Battalion. It would respond out of different Battalion qtrs. where the fire activity was high for that tour, or, anticipated. One of the chief's in the 60th was a BC Sowinski. He transferred to the 27th Battalion in with82/31 around 75. He was a great guy and firefighter. He would always be whistling in qtrs when he was in the kitchen. The guys had a little game with this. If you could get him to whistle a tune, you had a free meal for the tour. You couldn't let him know what you were doing, you had to whistle or sing some song yourself and see if he picked up on it. Very few got a free meal. Good guy, passed away about 5 years ago, retired as a deputy.

My buff years started in the 80's. I had started riding with E 75 -L 33 and one day had arranged to ride the engine.When I got to the firehouse the engine was out but L 33 was in quarters. While talking with the guy on housewatch they got a run first due for fire in a OMD. The truck officer told me to go with them and minutes later we were going down Jerome Avenue with me sitting between the officer and chauffeur, weaving in and out of the steel supports for the subway on Jerome Avenue when your heard a big crash and bang. The Chauffeur  says " we just lost the Hurst Tool " and started to pull over. Just then the the Bronx CO is saying that they were getting calls for our box so the Officer says "forget it just go to the box". We pulled up and had - nothing. No smoke or fire - just a minor food on the stove. The officer says we gotta get our tool back so back we go. It had only been 5 minutes since we lost it and again we find - nothing. All that was there was a empty street and 2 guys sitting on milk crates drinking. The Officer goes over to the 2 guys and the negotiations begin. The Officer comes back and says 10 bucks a man. All the guys including myself paid up and the transaction was completed. A steel overhead door on one of the "auto repair shops" on Jerome Avenue went up and there was our Hurst tool. Back on the rig and back to Quarters.The guys on the truck seemed to take it as just another day on L 33. I was in awe.

Batt. 60, organized 50 Hart St. @ Engine 218, 10/31/70 through 7/1/75

Batt. 59, organized 111-36 Merrick Blvd. @ E275, 6/13/70 through 7/1/75
            re-organized 78-11 67 Rd. @ E319 7/1/84 through 11/29/89

Div. 17, organized 617 Central Ave. @ E252 10/18/60 through 7/1/75

http://nyfd.com/history/cityhist.pdf

I thank you for that info on the 17th, 59 and 60. I wasn't aware that Batt 60 was a rover. But I do remember hearing those units. Those were some busy units in those days. But as I remember, pretty much everything was busy in those days.
  Thanks "scarter" for that story too. I remember you telling me that true story. "Scarter" or "Stuie" as he is called, has been a Great friend of mine for a long time. I remember when he first walked into the firehouse as a Probie. A young kid from Westport, Ct, home of the Million Dollar Mansions of Connecticut. Then I find out that before I went on the Fire Dept, from 1970-1975, I was the Letter Carrier that delievered mail to this kids Ct Mansion. Then I find out that he is also a FDNY Buff.
  Later on, he chaffered the rig that we were on together. He now rides in the seat that I kept warm for him. He's a Great Guy. Thank's Stuie.
  And sorry to my friends out there for getting a little off track.

As I look at those photos in "Decline of the South Bronx", it is hard to believe that things were so bad then. I remember it being compared to Berlin, Germany after being bombed out during WWII. But it wasn't bombed out. That was from the hundreds of fires that  destroyed apartment by apartment, floor by floor. Then building by building, then Block by Block. It was those FDNY Greatest Generation of Firefighters that battled these fires on a daily basis. For blocks and miles these scenes played out throughout the entire South Bronx. The buffs would compare the place to a Third World Country.
  Without pictures like this, it would be hard to describe the conditions that existed then. For the Newer Firefighters it gives them an idea of how hard these War Year Firefighters must have worked. For the Buffs, its hard to believe that there was so many fires in those days. For those War Year Fire Fighters, you risked your life over and over fighting those many terrible fires. There were No Easy Days. These Heroic Firefighters fought a daily war in the streets of the South Bronx, and several other neighborhoods of New York City.
  As a Buff who was there, I can only say: "Thanks to the Greatest Group of Firefighters this Country, or the World has ever seen".

mack

Administrator
Yesterday was the anniversary of the 1973,  5 1/2 hour strike.  The strike was short, painful and, perhaps unavoidable.  The Department went back into service rapidly.  There is a great audio of the strike day (I think it is all Brooklyn) at  http://www.hfdradio.com/FDNY.htm (Hardford Fire Radio - a terrific site).  Amazingly, at 45 minutes into the clip, I discovered a run I was on with the 43 Bn - Box 3501 into Sea Gate, that night. 1 and 2 response to a Coney Island box for an occupied rooming house fire.  People trapped all over.  L 166 and L 161 must have pulled 2 dozen people or more out of the building with a heavy fire condition on arrival (thank God the dispatcher started out the 2nd truck when the box came in).  E 318, the only engine, made the resues possible with an amazingly fast line protecting the stairs.  It took a long time to get additional units on a busy night to the tip of Coney Island.  As frequently happened (and still happens), 3 companies and a battalion chief had to to the job of a full assignment for a long period of critical time.  It turned out to be a dispatcher's 5th alarm, one of several multiple alarms that that night after a busy day.  There was not even a close deputy chief available.  The 10th Division eventually arrived at the fire. It is worth listening to if you have a few minutes.  Louie Massuci (God bless), the 43 Aide and great firefighter, is the battalion voice requesting an urgent 2nd on arrival, a request to start the Rescue rolling, shouts what to do with a baby just rescued while in the middle of a progress report.  He, and everyone else who responded that night, earned their pay, which, by the way, was about $14,300 a year back then.

During those years the "quiet" time for the day was in the morning from around 7AM until 12PM. Then it would be busy until the next morning again, with some days still having fires still during the quiet time. The day of the strike we (82 engine) missed 11 runs during the 4 hrs of the strike. If I remember right it ended at 1PM. None of the 11 runs were a job, one was a rubbish fire, responded to by an engine with probies from the fire academy. As the guys were putting their gear on the trucks at 1PM a box came in. I was off duty then so didn't respond. This box went to an all- hands. Within 30 minutes after the strike ended there were 3 all -hands going in the S. Bx. If the strike had lasted another hour there would have been major problems, fires , in the Bx.

From "Mikeindabronx", he has posted more GREAT PHOTOS to his Web Site. These are "His" pictures and I'm Thankful that he allows us to post them here. If you check them out, "I think you'll be Impressed". These Great Photos show us what the FDNY War Years were all about. Mike has been able to preserve a very important part of History in the Fire Service that No Doubt will ever be repeated again. Thanks very much Mke for sharing these photos with us.

Now if I can only do this right without screwing it up. Try this:
http://www.fdnysbravest.com (Hope it works).

Thanks again Mike.

Last edited:
Great except for one caption correction: The last photo of the April 1987 Bronx building collapse says Box 2145 but it was Box 2171, I know, I was there that day. ;)

guitarman314 said:
Great except for one caption correction: The last photo of the April 1987 Bronx building collapse says Box 2145 but it was Box 2171, I know, I was there that day. ;)

"G-man" you sure know your stuff. There's not too much we can slip by you. We tried, but it just didn't work. But aren't they some Great Pictures though !!!!

nfd2004 said:
guitarman314 said:

"G-man" you sure know your stuff. There's not too much we can slip by you. We tried, but it just didn't work. But aren't they some Great Pictures though !!!!
  Great pictures, yes they are!