New Seagrave Contracts

Yes, I know new rescues are being put into service as I type this. But now that it seems Ferrara and KME are no longer bidding on FDNY contracts. is anybody willing to speculate on who might build the NEXT rescues? I don't recall Seagrave ever bidding on them in the past, so who? WAGs and results of anal extraction welcome. ;) :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :cool:
The warrantee is very very strict .. That's why KME & FERRARA don't bid anymore.
KME is very busy with allot of builds and should not have bid on the previous contract. After recieving the contact they backed out causing a large gap of unbuilt fire apparatus for the FDNY.
Once again Seagrave bailed everyone out. All frontline apparatus by 2026 will be Seagraves only. That makes it allot easier for the mechanics at shops and the tag road mechanics. Now the management at shops only has to order Seagrave parts for the frontline apparatus...Yes there are still Batt cars ect but it's much easier regarding Seagrave parts.

The warrantee is very very strict .. That's why KME & FERRARA don't bid anymore.
KME is very busy with allot of builds and should not have bid on the previous contract. After recieving the contact they backed out causing a large gap of unbuilt fire apparatus for the FDNY.
Once again Seagrave bailed everyone out. All frontline apparatus by 2026 will be Seagraves only. That makes it allot easier for the mechanics at shops and the tag road mechanics. Now the management at shops only has to order Seagrave parts for the frontline apparatus...Yes there are still Batt cars ect but it's much easier regarding Seagrave parts.

So, Doug . . . you think Seagrave will bid on the next contract for rescues?

Bulldog

Bulldog
No clue raybrag.... l hope they will build all new Rescues on a MACK...lol
Honestly l wouldn't doubt they look at Seagrave when the new Rescues are due in 7 years
It will be interesting to see if Seagrave bids on the rescues, they never have in the past. Based on past experience I'm guessing that the rescue companies would like Pierce to bid based on the one rescue that was provided by them previously however they have never bid on any FDNY apparatus, probably because of the warranty items.

It will be interesting to see if Seagrave bids on the rescues, they never have in the past. Based on past experience I'm guessing that the rescue companies would like Pierce to bid based on the one rescue that was provided by them previously however they have never bid on any FDNY apparatus, probably because of the warranty items.
I thought the reason for no Pierce went deeper than just the warranty. Heard Pierce isn't as flexible with modifying stuff.

I thought the reason for no Pierce went deeper than just the warranty. Heard Pierce isn't as flexible with modifying stuff.
The five year warranty is great for the city, but what would've happened if Seagrave hadn't bid? What would be the procedure if no bids are received?

Little off topic but do you think they’ll ever get rid of the raised section of cab in the back portion (where the men sit) in favor of the more traditional straight run style of cabs you see on most of the spares? I thought I remember reading somewhere that it’s some sort of OSHA violation to have members getting dressed in the back and a raised cab only encourages it because smaller guys can even stand u!! Bringing back the straight cab would deter members from getting dressed while rig is responding. Let me know what you guys think.
My guess is they won't get rid of the raised roofs.

The fdny cabs have come a long ways. All the old flat roof seagraves although great rigs were the worst set up for the men in the back. Way to to tight and very uncomfortable. Don’t see the city ever going back to that as long as raised roof rigs fit in the firehouses

The only reason I say this is because if you look at the seagrave brochure for all the models on the website it it all has straight roof not raised.

The roofs are raised due to the engine moving forward due to epa rules and they were raised to allow firefighters to get in and move inside without hitting head as you moved inside crew cab, not to allow you to don gear. The officers seat and chauffeur seat are cramped due to he engine cover.

For sure most definately.

Bulldog

Bulldog
The five year warranty is great for the city, but what would've happened if Seagrave hadn't bid? What would be the procedure if no bids are received?
I wonder that myself, actually, many companies will rebid a contract if there is only one bidder. With only one bidder the bidder is basically setting whatever price they want for an item.

Bulldog

Bulldog
That's a possibility but for a contract as big as this 1 was you would think that making a modification to their design wouldn't be that big of deal for a large quantity of trucks. Obviously it would be a major issue for a very small order.

I wasn’t saying the raised roof was specifically designed to don gear while inside, all I was stating was that ffs are getting dressed in rigs now that they can stand up in the back. And yes, unfortunately it’s the guys up front turn to deal with the tightness of the rigs. I don’t agree with that, being that we respect rank on this job and the guy with the highest rank on board is crammed in up front. And the guy to his left is tasked with getting the other 4 or 5 people to the scene safely—In my humble opinion their comfort should come before the back step.

My dept. before I retired used both from Sutphen mainly. I always preferred the Cummins. I just looked up Pierce new deliveries and some are speced with Detroit diesel engines.