RAC unit question

Hello all,

How is the decision made to assign a RAC unit to an incident?  I know that there aren't enough to send to all incidents, but from reading incident rundowns here it seems to me like it is sort of random.

Thanks!

frozenEMT,

Usually when an officer or a Battalion Chief reports they are "using All Hands", a Recuperation/Rehabilitation and Care(R.A.C.) Unit will be dispatched.

A R.A.C. Unit is also assigned on every 2nd Alarm, 10-60(Major Emergency), 10-76(High-Rise Fire, Commercial) and 10-77(High-Rise Fire, Residential/Hotel). Any other time, I believe it is at the discretion of the incident commander.

Each R.A.C. Unit is staffed by a "Light Duty Firefighter".

R.A.C. Unit 1 - Engine 91(242 E. 111th St., Manhattan)
R.A.C. Unit 2 - Engine 332, Ladder 175(165 Bradford St., Brooklyn)
R.A.C. Unit 3 - Rescue 3, Collapse Rescue 3(1655 Washington Ave., Bronx)
R.A.C. Unit 4 - Special Operations Command(S.O.C.)(750 Main St., Roosevelt Island)
R.A.C. Unit 5 - Engine 242(9219 5th Ave., Brooklyn)

Thanks, fdny1075k.  I guess the incidents where they would have been used and I haven't seen them in the rundown, they must have been at other incidents.  Since there are only 5 citywide, I imagine they can do a lot of running.

From web site www.fdnewyork.com owned/run by "FD347" (Frank R), the following were the number of runs in 2012 by each RAC Unit.

RAC 1 - 433
  RAC 2 - 614
  RAC 3 - 390
  RAC 4 - 497
  RAC 5 - 317

They are assigned on the All Hands.....there certainly could be more of them since they only require a Light Duty FF & any type vehicle (which there usually are in both cases).....today the vehicle  is a little more "specialized" in design but for years when they first started they were an old Chiefs Suburban......maybe less fancy Rigs but more of them would better help the BROTHERS..... i think at least one in each DV.

I do remember a unit in the 80s called Rehab Unit. If I can find the picture of it, I will try to post it. There might have been two of them but I think they were only assigned on the second alarm or greater.

got you covered bill, btw your picture too. Rehab 2
vfxbw6.jpg

after the rehab units were disbanded and reformed as rac units they ran these ex military ambulances and were in operation only may -October or something like that. During those months before i had a scanner i knew there was a fire when this rac unit was responding. I had to guess where the fire was usually eyesight for smoke, nose for direction of smell,and relocators. 

Here is a later version of rac 3 a gmc ex military ambo.
11w3fco.jpg

Thanks "Anesti", those are the rigs.

Now I'm curious as to what places like Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mt Vernon etc use.

In Connecticut there is a Canteen Unit staffed by volunteers that runs out of Wallingford which was just recently organized. Also a group of retired firefighters, who call themselves "The Dinosaurs",  run a Canteen Unit out of Milford, Ct. And New London, Ct also has a Canteen Unit.

One of the most active canteen Units is run out of Providence, RI. They cover all of Rhode Island plus parts of Connecticut and Mass. Boston has a Canteen Unit run by a group called "The Boston Sparks". A few guys on here might know more about it than I do.

I believe all of these units are staffed by volunteers who are out there in sub zero weather, or in the summer, in hot streets of some of these cities. They do a great job. Many of these Canteen Units will also respond to long term police incidents or emergencies if requested. I believe the Providence Canteen Unit responded to NYC during 9/11.

Yonkers runs a merv type vehicle and a smaller bus for rehab. Mt Vernon from what I remember bought a used light rescue from orange county.

Bill I think the providence was staged at 81/46 as I recall a rather large veichle from providence

Baltimore County MD is supported by TWO volunteer organizations that provied rehab services, with both operating multiple vehicles.  These are the Box 234 Association (http://www.box234.org/) and the Central Alarmers (http://www.centralalarmers155.com/). 

Box 234's newest unit (from their web site):

349_T2515_Box_234_Association_10_25_13_035.JPG

Central Alarmer's largest (also from their web site):

50c43b_bfc3aa42be4dbd64bc49d31ddaefa27f.png_srz_200_135_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

There are many volunteer-operated rehab units across the country, with quite a few in Maryland, as you can see on this web page:

http://www.box234.org/gallery/otherrehabunits.html

The one shown for James City County, VA is run by the county FD, and staffed by one of their members when needed.

The Newport News/Hampton VA area is served by the Salvation Army, which operates a mobile canteen simiar to the Salvation Army unit shown on the Box 234 Association's gallery page.  It can be special-called when needed for large or long duration events. 

The Washington DC FD is supported by the Friendship Fire Association, which operates 2 vehicles (photo from  their Facebook page):

154621_378567092227535_302307451_n.jpg

Los Angeles City FD has a reletively unique concept:  "Rehabilitation & Air Tender" units, of which it has at least 3:  RAT 28, RAT 59, and RAT EA-1. They're kind of like a combination Mask Service Unit and RAC.  They also have toilets on them.  It also has a volunteer-operated rehab unit which runs an old ambulance.  All can be seen at:

http://www.code2high.com/lafd_apparatus.htm

Thanks for the replies and information, everyone.  These purpose built units certainly beat what some of the fire departments in my area use, mostly old ambulances and step vans.

Bulldog

Bulldog
raybrag said:
Los Angeles City FD has a reletively unique concept:  "Rehabilitation & Air Tender" units, of which it has at least 3:  RAT 28, RAT 59, and RAT EA-1. They're kind of like a combination Mask Service Unit and RAC.  They also have toilets on them.  It also has a volunteer-operated rehab unit which runs an old ambulance.  All can be seen at:

http://www.code2high.com/lafd_apparatus.htm
They are certainly a unique looking unit compared to most Rehab units in sound like they could be quite effective for use with many departments considering you normally need the additional mask equipment when you need rehab equipment.  While on the subject of LA equipment, does anybody know what the small numbers on the truck doors indicates?

I can't speak for LA, but Newport News, VA apparatus also has two numbers:  the unit that it's assigned to (e.g. Engine 10 has large "10"s in several  places), and a smaller number, usually on the front door of the cab, indicating the fleet services ID number.  FDNY uses a similar system, with the Fleet Services # on the left front of the unit. As I'm sure you well know, a unit can serve with a number of companies during its life, but the Fleet Services number never changes (in almost all cases).

On the subject of Rehab. Units, the Boston Fire Department currently operates one Fireground Rehab. Unit, formerly known by the BFD radio callsign "W25". The BFD's Rehab. Unit responds to all confirmed structure fires and is staffed by one firefighter, I believe also a light duty member. The Rehab. Unit is quartered with BFD's Engine 22 and Haz-Mat. 1(formerly H3) in the South End of the city.

Chicago currently runs three Rehab. Units:

5-7-1(Rehab. Unit) - Engine 49, Truck 33, Ambulance 87, 2-7-3(Command Van)(4401 S. Ashland Ave.)
5-7-2(Rehab. Unit) - Engine 68, Ambulance 82(5258 W. Grand Ave.)
5-7-3(Rehab. Unit) - O'Hare International Airport Rescue Station # 3

Hartford, CT also runs one Rehab. Unit. It is cross-staffed by a member of the Engine Co. Usually on a 10-3(Working Fire) in Hartford, an Engine Co. is assigned as the "Rehab. Co.", and picks up the Rehab. Unit, a converted school bus, then brings it to the fire.