VINTAGE FDNY WAR YEAR LIDS

Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,058
Did the job use the black frontpice for Marine Co's? When did the job color code the inserts for special units such as Marine, Squad, etc?
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,058
Another Bronx bend sighting!

Screenshot-2019-08-15-09-52-50-1.png

Look, you no longer need to bake your lid at 350 degrees for ten minutes to get that salty Bronx bend Hollywood look, all you need to do is just order it!..."one Bronx bend helmet with a five year smoke stained frontpiece to go, please...."

Screenshot-2019-08-15-10-00-01-1.png
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2013
Messages
667
memory master said:
I suppose that the old '233' front piece was from when it was a boat?
I think that was Engine 223.
As far as I know it was always Brooklyn land Engine 33, 133, and 233.
 

811

Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
288
Gage,
Inserts came about 1959, illustration from Oct 1959 WNYF.  Boats got green inserts, prior to that they were black, same as any other Engine Company,
1959-oct-WNYF-helmet-frontpieces-LR.jpg
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
858
t123ken said:
memory master said:
I suppose that the old '233' front piece was from when it was a boat?
I think that was Engine 223.
As far as I know it was always Brooklyn land Engine 33, 133, and 233.

223 and 232 were boats

233 was/is a land engine

232 was both a marine and a land engine (at different times)
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,058
811 and fdhistorian, you gents are the best!...Good factual info, great insightful contributions... love it and thanks!
 

811

Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
288
fdhistorian said:
t123ken said:
memory master said:
I suppose that the old '233' front piece was from when it was a boat?
I think that was Engine 223.
As far as I know it was always Brooklyn land Engine 33, 133, and 233.

223 and 232 were boats

233 was/is a land engine

232 was both a marine and a land engine (at different times)

Fireboat Engine 85 also became a land engine; and, like 232, in a Tin House
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
858
811 said:
fdhistorian said:
t123ken said:
memory master said:
I suppose that the old '233' front piece was from when it was a boat?
I think that was Engine 223.
As far as I know it was always Brooklyn land Engine 33, 133, and 233.

223 and 232 were boats

233 was/is a land engine

232 was both a marine and a land engine (at different times)

Fireboat Engine 85 also became a land engine; and, like 232, in a Tin House

Engine 43 and Engine 66 were the other two land engines that started out as fireboats
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,058
Here is a nice collection of DCFD frontpieces, years ago the fire dept was referred to FDDC:

Screenshot-2019-08-24-22-17-14-1.png

And here is a nice lid collection:


Screenshot-2019-06-18-18-19-45-1.png
 
Top