VINTAGE FDNY WAR YEAR LIDS

Interesting Helmet on EBAY..........the name painted inside reads " A. Niemczyk"..... I believe he had been in LAD*58 then was an Officer in LAD*104 (LT or CPT ?) in the early '70s...his name as I remember was Tony hence the A. for Anthony ?..............no relation but there was a very Well Respected Member with a similar sounding name (that was spelled differently ) that I remember ....the spelling Nemecek .....his first name was Al...he had been a CPT of ENG*216 on Scholes St then a BC in BN*37-2 then a BC in BN*35 both on Siegel St & on Union Ave then a DC in DV*6....his Son Bob was a FF in R*4.......... https://www.ebay.com/itm/275564323838?hash=item4028e9e3fe:g:uTMAAOSwKvFjil1a

Last edited:
My Dad's helmet was all I wanted when he passed. And it was known for years amongst my brothers that it was mine. My Dad knew I wanted it. To meet his helmet and the condition of showed him and his life accomplishments. Makes me so proud to have him for My Dad.
Hello Troops; I have expressed my thoughts about vintage war year fire helmets on e-bay, it moves me in a sad way... I have always felt your fire helmet was your resume, a business card, receipt of work well done. It is your personal trophy, prominently placed in your favorite spot near the fireplace when you leave the job. The beat up shape, wear and tear of previous battles with the red devil. It was your personal lifeline...f you were in trouble you would toss your helmet, and help would be on the way...Unfortunately, like the way of the scaling ladder, the trophy will eventually return to the quartermaster in the sky, or just neglected in an attic or basement until it fades away. I thought you might help me catalogue these treasures, once removed and they go on e-bay and leave it's owner, is when the fat lady sings. Hope you enjoy the following collection. And why not lead off with Dennis Smiths Engine 82 helmet. Note, there are two different Captain L3 helmets, the first is Captain Paddy Brown's helmet in honor and memory of 9/11 Brothers. Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to jump in with pics, stories and/or comments!

View attachment 20902

View attachment 20903

Hello Troops; I have expressed my thoughts about vintage war year fire helmets on e-bay, it moves me in a sad way... I have always felt your fire helmet was your resume, a business card, receipt of work well done. It is your personal trophy, prominently placed in your favorite spot near the fireplace when you leave the job. The beat up shape, wear and tear of previous battles with the red devil. It was your personal lifeline...f you were in trouble you would toss your helmet, and help would be on the way...Unfortunately, like the way of the scaling ladder, the trophy will eventually return to the quartermaster in the sky, or just neglected in an attic or basement until it fades away. I thought you might help me catalogue these treasures, once removed and they go on e-bay and leave it's owner, is when the fat lady sings. Hope you enjoy the following collection. And why not lead off with Dennis Smiths Engine 82 helmet. Note, there are two different Captain L3 helmets, the first is Captain Paddy Brown's helmet in honor and memory of 9/11 Brothers. Hope you enjoy, and please feel free to jump in with pics, stories and/or comments!

View attachment 20902

View attachment 20903
My Dad's helmet was all I wanted when he passed. And it was known for years amongst my brothers that it was mine. My Dad knew I wanted it. To me his helmet and the condition of it showed him and his life accomplishments. Makes me so proud to have him for My Dad.

Attachments

• 20221204_143958.jpg
    20221204_143958.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221204_151301.jpg
    20221204_151301.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221204_143920.jpg
    20221204_143920.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221204_143914.jpg
    20221204_143914.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221204_143927.jpg
    20221204_143927.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221204_143505.jpg
    20221204_143505.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221204_143541.jpg
    20221204_143541.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 18
That’s the picture of Jimmy Thornton, senior man and chauffeur of L112. Not only a great fireman but a great cook also. It was my pleasure to work with him. Rest In Peace brother Jim.

That’s the picture of Jimmy Thornton, senior man and chauffeur of L112. Not only a great fireman but a great cook also. It was my pleasure to work with him. Rest In Peace brother Jim.
Yes he was a great cook. Always liked when he was home. He cooked instead of my Mom. Lol. He loved being at the firehouse.

Yes, you could always count on Pop to make a nice meal, with his experience working a side gig in a deli, Jimmy knew his way around the stove. It was a hoot working with him and his carpool sidekick and unofficially adopted son, Tommy Dunn. They were indeed Glory Days!

Chief...Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Chief Nemecek featured in the UHF Channel 31 drill show..."on the job" episode discussing vacant building operations? Digging deep into the memory bank here, but I believe DC Burke (father of Billy, Rest in Peace 9/11), FF Willy Knapp E82 and Lt John Mitchell TL17 were also on the panel. Can't recall the Captain. Also funny story about Chief Nemecek. One of the dinosaurs in E28 was retiring...an original band member. The days of having the "last night" in quarters were over, so we had it in a VFW Hall on Avenue C. Of course, the spillover later ended up in the firehouse. About 2 am...who comes marching down 2nd street but the band! Honoring one of their own. Next morning, a blue staff car pulls up to quarters. It's Chief Nemecek. He's inquiring about exactly what went on there last night. Told it was a retirement thing, no harm no foul...he says he was Tour Commander for the night. His driver tells him there are early morning phone calls coming in referencing the bagpipes playing on the Lower East Side! He says that in his career he's heard just about everything...but THIS he needed to investigate!...lol. He congratulated the member and was on his way. Seemed like a terrific guy.

Chief...Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Chief Nemecek featured in the UHF Channel 31 drill show..."on the job" episode discussing vacant building operations? Digging deep into the memory bank here, but I believe DC Burke (father of Billy, Rest in Peace 9/11), FF Willy Knapp E82 and Lt John Mitchell TL17 were also on the panel. Can't recall the Captain. Also funny story about Chief Nemecek. One of the dinosaurs in E28 was retiring...an original band member. The days of having the "last night" in quarters were over, so we had it in a VFW Hall on Avenue C. Of course, the spillover later ended up in the firehouse. About 2 am...who comes marching down 2nd street but the band! Honoring one of their own. Next morning, a blue staff car pulls up to quarters. It's Chief Nemecek. He's inquiring about exactly what went on there last night. Told it was a retirement thing, no harm no foul...he says he was Tour Commander for the night. His driver tells him there are early morning phone calls coming in referencing the bagpipes playing on the Lower East Side! He says that in his career he's heard just about everything...but THIS he needed to investigate!...lol. He congratulated the member and was on his way. Seemed like a terrific guy.
I don't recall a captain being there, but it was about 40 years ago.