1/17/14 3rd Alarm Bronx Box 4110

FYI here is the barb for 4110
E72,89,64,96.  L50,47
E90,45,97,94.  L54,41
E88,82,66,46.  L58
E295,38,42,73. L48
E50,62,48.  L38
That's the first thru fifth alarm, odd that they took E70 off island. 

This is only a guess.

The situation was escalating. Units were needed to save a school whose loss would effect a lot of kids. 70 was a lot closer than any other unit.

Maybe the dispatcher went to Monsignor Scanlan high school.

Maby the computer glitched. ( That's happened elsewhere lately.)

Who knows?

I'm gonna lean towards a computer glitch, the dispatchers should know about the whole City Island fiasco. Leaving 70 off of the Island for the span of time they responded till the relocator arrives results in the absence of a first due engine for fire suppression and EMS runs. I don't know if there's a bus stationed on the Island or close by but once that bridge is up 53 is all alone for EMS and Fire duty. Don't mean to go way into it but just thought about all the "what ifs"

Im going to say other companies happen to be out with maybe no relocators in there area yet.  On the notice all the trucks on that alarm happen to be relocators

274, you are correct.

St. Helena's parish divides Parkchester with St Raymond's. One of it's  legendary pastors, Father Philip Mulcahy, taught me to be an altar boy when he was a curate at Our Lady of Refuge. He was right out of the Bells of St Mary's (although I never heard him sing).

The St Helena's dances, held at the parish, were famous for Bronx Catholic high school students in the 50's and 60's. The grammar school basketball team played its games in the high school gym, which we visiting teams thought was so cool.

Catholic Grammar School Dances thru out NYC in the '50s..... as strict as they thought they were....... in 2014 would make them crap their pant's ....8th graders back then in the '50s smoking a pack of cigarette's in 2-3 hrs right in the gym or  auditorium was OK as long as you did not get too close to the girl's during the dance.

68jk09 said:
Catholic Grammar School Dances thru out NYC in the '50s..... as strict as they thought they were....... in 2014 would make them crap their pant's ....8th graders back then in the '50s smoking a pack of cigarette's in 2-3 hrs right in the gym or  auditorium was OK as long as you did not get too close to the girl's during the dance.

"Leave room for your guardian angel" was the famous command from the Nuns at these dances. 8)

3511 said:
274, you are correct.

St. Helena's parish divides Parkchester with St Raymond's. One of it's  legendary pastors, Father Philip Mulcahy, taught me to be an altar boy when he was a curate at Our Lady of Refuge. He was right out of the Bells of St Mary's (although I never heard him sing).

The St Helena's dances, held at the parish, were famous for Bronx Catholic high school students in the 50's and 60's. The grammar school basketball team played its games in the high school gym, which we visiting teams thought was so cool.
Fr. Mulcahy taught me to be an altar boy also when I was in OLR when I think I was in fifth grade. One Saturday when we were practicing in the rectory bsmt, a seventh grader was shooting us with his pea shooter through a partially open window and having a good time. As practice was winding down, Fr. Mulcahy said he was going upstairs to get us some candy bars. He returned with the culprit with the pea shooter and showed us a very un Bells of Saint Mary performance as he proceeded to slap the crap out of pea shooter boy for what seemed like an eternity. I threw my pea shooter out as soon as I got home.

Fdce54,

Obviously the neighborhood had gone to hell by the time you went to OLR. In my day we would never have thought of having a peashooter.... or dancing too close.... ::). (HA!)

FR Mulcahy (and others like him) probably prevented generations of kids from being arrested. Today he would be arrested.

memory master said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the other side of the Hutch is/was St. Joseph's school for the deaf if memory serves me right.

That is correct - St Joseph's had a very interesting/distinct architectural look as well

Catholic grammar school dances were no different in Boston then in NY, the penguins were out there enforcing "the law" . Played in a little band, we had the chords and "the words" to Louie, louie, my little girl gets her thrills.

I remember Brian Hyland performing regularly @ our dances w/an old non electric guitar w/the plywood face peeling off & piece of clothesline for a strap then in the Summer of '59 he made the "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" then his career took off.....he still performs in music circles & so does his Son. 

3511 said:
Fdce54,

Obviously the neighborhood had gone to hell by the time you went to OLR. In my day we would never have thought of having a peashooter.... or dancing too close.... ::). (HA!)

FR Mulcahy (and others like him) probably prevented generations of kids from being arrested. Today he would be arrested.
3511, yes the neighborhood had gone to hell. We danced close to the girls and even put our hands on their rear ends but I never ever picked up a peashooter again.......lol. And you're right, he would be put in jail in today's world.