5/17/24 Bronx 2nd Alarm Box 2617

Yeah cause if you’re not operating over 30mins then no relocator. What needs to happen maybe for sure if a 3rd due engine can’t be sent or a further engine.

Other Departments like Denver has 2 person crews doing low priority EMS calls so engines are not going to them and more available. Bronx is probably the must impacted Boro with EMS calls (every company is doing over 5,000 runs besides 3 engines.
I think this is a great idea if staffed by 2 guys from EMS, almost like an ems 'fly car' driving around the boro taking in runs to free up engines

I think this is a great idea if staffed by 2 guys from EMS, almost like an ems 'fly car' driving around the boro taking in runs to free up engines
Anything to take some calls off some of the engines doing so many EMS runs. Truck Companies can’t put out fires with no water…. “Load up on the cans” lol

Hell, why not just have Ladders start running CFR duty. Not primary, but like second out in busy areas 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's been discussed and was a non starter.
Look at the shops on any given day. Ladder companies occupy most of the apparatus on the floor. And roughly 140 ladders to 220 engines ( my numbers are not exact but certainly good enough for demonstrative purposes). Ladder companies are much more complex machines than the engine companies ( sensors, hydraulics, electronics etc). They are also quite a bit heavier than engines. So to start running the dog shit out of these beasts and increasing downtime and swap out time is ludicrous and would drive up fleet maintenance costs significantly. The busiest ladder companies ran around 4000 runs in 2023 while the busiest engines ran over 7000. Again, wanna beat these beasts up more? Most importantly the ladders must get into jobs quickly and get positioned on the fire building. There are places in Brooklyn where a ladder is first due to single engine houses in all four map directions. Do you really want to take that unit out of service for a CFR run? The answer is not more FD units to act as first responders. The answer is more EMS units on the streets and a flexible, dynamic , creative EMS delivery system that addresses peak demand hours and daily population shifts across the boros.

Look at the shops on any given day. Ladder companies occupy most of the apparatus on the floor. And roughly 140 ladders to 220 engines ( my numbers are not exact but certainly good enough for demonstrative purposes). Ladder companies are much more complex machines than the engine companies ( sensors, hydraulics, electronics etc). They are also quite a bit heavier than engines. So to start running the dog shit out of these beasts and increasing downtime and swap out time is ludicrous and would drive up fleet maintenance costs significantly. The busiest ladder companies ran around 4000 runs in 2023 while the busiest engines ran over 7000. Again, wanna beat these beasts up more? Most importantly the ladders must get into jobs quickly and get positioned on the fire building. There are places in Brooklyn where a ladder is first due to single engine houses in all four map directions. Do you really want to take that unit out of service for a CFR run? The answer is not more FD units to act as first responders. The answer is more EMS units on the streets and a flexible, dynamic , creative EMS delivery system that addresses peak demand hours and daily population shifts across the boros.
Please don't think that I was in agreement with Truck Companies going to CFR-D runs. I am not. You touch on all good points and those exact points were actually brought up by members of the discussion group and helped extinguish the idea.

Putting this story in context with EMS runs makes response to Emergencies a game of craps. Who’s available or better yet who’s not available.
When I had light duty at the 15th Division the DC always checked on who’s at Training, Medicals etc. if he thought it left a hole in the Division a call would be made an either companies were relocated in or training days shifted. The training days I’m talking about were not the ‘Official’ Education day but special training like rope, extrication etc. you know the training that is hands on not the education days. Just a thought.

When I worked EMS way back then, and of course I'm sure things have changed, yet some remain the same. We transported almost 80% of our patients in a stair chair. Not many folks needed to be on a stretcher. Perhaps a simple, less expensive van type vehicle as task force units responding to less severe calls and assign a bus with a stretcher if needed, a glorified taxi if you will, because, that is what it is!...Especially for the "I don't feel good" runs.

How about teach people not to call 911 and use the system as their pcp for when they have a “fever/cough”, or nose bleed, or whatever other nonsense they call for

Wasn't there a Fly Car program for EMS a while back? What ever happened to that.

Looks like Sq61 could of gotten in before 90

E-45 also on an EMS run

Last edited:
FROM THE UFA...Uniformed Firefighters Association of Greater New York
·
On Friday, Firefighters in the Bronx responded to a 2-alarm house fire in the Clason Point section around 3 pm. One of the Firefighters was inside the house operating a hose when he began having problems breathing. He collapsed and was pulled from the building by other first responders, who put him on a sidewalk and started CPR. EMTs also gave the FF the drug hydroxocobalamin, which combats the effects of cyanide poisoning that can result from smoke inhalation. A total of 3 Firefighters, 2 serious, were injured due to this incident. FF Kevin Paulicelli from E-90, rotator from L-151, was the Red tag but thankfully was discharged from Jacobi Hospital today at Noon. We wish him a speedy recovery along with the other two members. God Bless our Firefighters!