FDNY Chief Officer Cars and Vehicles

Sorry Ray, I don't remember who was supplying the Satellite, but I don't remember seeing the Superpumper on Trinity Place

The aerial was a 1933 Walter 75 ft., Engine was a 1937 Mack 1000gpm which were the first closed cab pumpers and also the first to be delivered with NYC subway straps. The hose wagon was a 1929 FWD. Note the sign on the firehouse only says Hook & Ladder 28. That is because the firehouse was originally built in 1905 for Ladder 28 which was organized as a double ladder co. that lasted that way until the 2nd sect. was disbanded on Jan. 1, 1915. Eng. 69 was originally organized in 1899 as a combination engine co. (pumper, chemical hose wagon & city service ladder) located at 243 E. 233rd St. in Woodlawn sect. of the Bronx. Bronx Combination Engine 69 was disbanded on Jan 1, 1916 and replaced by Hook & Ladder 39. A year later on April 17, 1917, Engine 69 was reorganized at Ladder 28's firehouse.

Nice video... the author mentioned in the opening credits was a fellow who lived for 55 yrs after Retirement & also almost was pronounced dead at a Fire...This article was published in the Los angeles Daily News on April 16, 2013....QUOTE..REUBEN "DOBB" KASS
RETIRED NYFD
March 23, 1916 - April 13, 2013

In West Hills, Reuben "Dobb" Kass, 97, died of complications from pneumonia.

Reuben was married to Frances Krietzberg (d.2006) for 66 years. He is survived by his daughters, Anne Bowman (Bill) and Ilene Blok (Jack); grandchildren, Greg and Stefani Newman, Beth Blok and Laura Blok Kalnasy (Shaun); and great-granddaughter, Chloe Kalnasy. His only son, Sidney, died at the age of 14 in 1957. In addition, he is loved by many nieces and nephews who knew him as Uncle Dobb.

Although he was a self-taught engineer and jack of all trades, his most important career was the twenty years he spent as a NYC Fireman. At a fire in 1943, he was overcome by smoke and pronounced dead. Dobb was covered with a blanket and awaiting transport, when a fire department doctor discovered the other doctor's error and went to work to save his life. He gave Dobb 70 more years to enjoy his life and family. Thank you, Doctor Archer.

Dobb was a great lover of holistic medicine and all things natural. "Drink more water," was his mantra. He attributed his longevity to oil of wild oregano and a drink called Essential 7. Guess they worked! Remember Dobbie most by staying healthy, exercising and being nice to firemen everywhere.

Services, Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 11:00 a.m., at Eden Memorial Park, Mission Hills ( 818) 361-7161
UNQUOTE.....................I am pretty sure i had a phone conversation w/this FF several years ago......this is a post i made on another site after his Passing...  REST IN PEACE BROTHER......A few years ago on one of my tours as ADC in DV*14 i received a call from the Supervising Dispatcher who said "Chief i have a fellow on the phone who wants to donate six gravesites in your DIV to someone in the FDNY i am not sure what it's about"....i said connect me & the fellow explained he was a RET FF from ENG*69 & lived out of State & he & 2 other RET FF friends had a total of six plots in All Faiths Cemetery in QNS & all of them had made other arrangements to be buried elsewhere & they wanted to donate the plots to some FDNY Members & or their families.....it was after hours so i got all the contact info & forwarded a report to HQ explaining the offer & his contact info....i do not know what if anything was done to take them up on the offer but after seeing the name in this thread i think the name sounds familiar....it may very well have been this BROTHER.

Loved the video and the story of FF Kass! Does anyone know when companies were first integrated? Any guess when the movie was shot?

Just to provethat old farts never forget, back in October of 2011, I posted a comment that I remembered '53 Ford chief cars, but hadn't found a good picture of one.  Well, success! (The Mack C ain't bad, either.) Thanks to Bill Noonan:

10847701_10153760012656164_8318008216252516112_o.jpg

raybrag said:
Just to provethat old farts never forget, back in October of 2011, I posted a comment that I remembered '53 Ford chief cars, but hadn't found a good picture of one.  Well, success! (The Mack C ain't bad, either.) Thanks to Bill Noonan:

10847701_10153760012656164_8318008216252516112_o.jpg
  According to the Alex Donchin book, "FIRST DUE", this was a 3rd alarmer on March 26, 1960. "Fire was in rear of a a heavily stocked warehouse had been touched off by burglars who rifled safe." Box 372 @Flushing & Bedford Aves., back then, response could've been E211, E209 & E230 with L102, L119 & Bn 35.

First photo ...Pitkin Av & Vermont St 1961...ALF was 107 then 1st Due from New Jersey Av...... Chiefs car looks like a '57 Ford.

68jk09 Chief. Yes you hit it right on the head. That picture brings back memories. There is a good chance that you might have seen me at that job or others in that area. E225 was most likely first due there with E290 and E233 from Hull St filling it out and L103 second due truck. On scene I wore a Midwestern Canvas truck coat black and a New yorker helmet, also black. A home made tin front piece. Height around 5-11. That was the beginning of our war years. I was thirty years old at the time. Did you live in the neighbor hood ? I lived on Belmont Ave. between Warwick and Ashford Streets across from PS 158, home box 1776.

mack

Administrator
68jk09 said:
First photo ...Pitkin Av & Vermont St 1961...ALF was 107 then 1st Due from New Jersey Av...... Chiefs car looks like a '57 Ford.

Pitkin and Vermont:

Fire 50 years ago:

Today:

auxlteng225 said:
68jk09 Chief. Yes you hit it right on the head. That picture brings back memories. There is a good chance that you might have seen me at that job or others in that area. E225 was most likely first due there with E290 and E233 from Hull St filling it out and L103 second due truck. On scene I wore a Midwestern Canvas truck coat black and a New yorker helmet, also black. A home made tin front piece. Height around 5-11. That was the beginning of our war years. I was thirty years old at the time. Did you live in the neighbor hood ? I lived on Belmont Ave. between Warwick and Ashford Streets across from PS 158, home box 1776.
I did not live in the neighborhood but had many friends there back in the early '60s....i lived nearby in Wooodhaven a short bus ride on Jamaica Av......do you remember a Cop named Al Plummer who had a traffic post on Atlantic & Pennsylvania....he was a big FDNY Buff & spent time in 107's qtrs when they were still on New Jersey Av.....how about a young guy who rode w/107 back then & later became a Transit Cop ?.....as you know back then before 175 & 193 107 was 2nd Due down Pennsylvania Av to the Belt Pkwy but it was mostly farms & dumps below Linden Blvd. where Starret City is today.

Hi Chief, thanks for the info. Plummer does sound familiar to me. Can't place the other fellow though. I see somebody posted that the street sign says Wyona St, which was one block east of Vermont St. I looked the pictures over and I cant find it. Still sure that Pitkin and Vermont was it. Yes, everything south of Linden blvd was waste land. To the west of Pennsylvania there were auto junk yards and to the east was the very large land fill. Not many of us left from that era. I was very fortunate in later years to hook up with old friends from E225 that were Chiefs and Captains and got to do some buffing in the mid eighties at Ladder 173, Rescue 3.