FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be curious to know just how many of today's national and international HazMat protocols were developed by FDNY on the streets as the Rescues and other companies learned by experience from flying "seat of the pants".

mack

Administrator
Bogus posting - see note below - Seagate is response area of Engine 318 and Ladder 166

Engine 332/Ladder 139  firehouse  4701 Beach 47th Street  Seagate, Brooklyn

Engine 122 BFD organized 3941 Lyme Avenue former volunteer firehouse    1869
    Engine 122 became Engine 122 FDNY                                                        1898
    Engine 122 became Engine 222                                                                1899
    Engine 222 became Engine 322                                                                1913
    Engine 322 new firehouse 4701 Beach 47th Street vicinity lighthouse          1913
    Engine 322 temporary firehouse 4700 Beach 47th Street (storm damage)    1970
    Engine 322 returned 4701 Beach 47th Street                                            1978

Engine 322-2 organized 4700 Beach 47th Street at Engine 332                    1970
    Engine 332-2 disbanded                                                                            1978

Ladder 139 organized 3941 Lyme Avenue at Engine 122                              1902
    Ladder 139 new firehouse 4701 Beach 47th Street w/Engine 332                1913
    Ladder 139 temporary firehouse 4700 Beach 47th Street (storm damage)    1970
    Ladder 139 returned 4701 Beach 47th Street w/Engine 332                          1978

Original volunteer Seagate Engine 1:

Engine 122 Brooklyn Fire Department - Seagate:

4701 Beach 47th Street firehouse - built next to Coney Island lighthouse:

Engine 322/Engine 322-2/Ladder 139 "Coney Island Tin House":

- 4701 Beach 47th Street firehouse damaged by Hurricane O'Hagan in 1970.
          - Engine 322-2 served with Engine 322 and Ladder 139 in the 43rd Battalion during the Seagate War Years.

Engine 332/Ladder 139 1920s::

Engine 332:

Ladder 139:

Engine 322/Ladder 139 R&Ws:

Engine 322 Nathan Handwerker Medal 1916:

Firefighter Thomas O'Toole, Engine 322, saved the live of Mr Max Rosey, a contestant in the 1st International Hot Dog Eating Contest, July 4th 1916.  FF O'Toole was picking up food for the noon meal of Engine 322 and Ladder 139 at Nathan's Hot Dog Stand.  FF O'Toole noted that the a contestant, Max Rosey of the Bronx, was turning blue and choking while trying to eat three hot dogs at the same time.  Without the benefit of a charged line, FF O'Toole exposed himself to chewed hot dog meat and mustard, and began belly thrusts on Mr. Rosey's extensive stomach until the three hot dogs were expelled.  FF O'Toole, although injured by the expelled gas and hot dog expectorant, continued to care for Mr Rosey until arrival of EMS.  FF O'Toole's heroic actions were in the best traditions of Engine 322, Ladder 139 and FDNY.   

Max Rosey world famous hot dog eating champion:

FF O'Toole:

Seagate - Originally named Norton's Point:

http://www.coneyislandlightstation.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Gate,_Brooklyn

Seagate Police Department:

http://www.seagatepolice.com/

"mack", I vaguely remember going out there. I had heard that they got a new rig and I wanted to go out there to get a rig shot. It was new to me in that I had never gone out to that area before. I hung out mostly in Harlem and the Bronx. No GPS in those days and for me it was like traveling to a foreign country. I didn't realize it at the time, but now I understand what "mikeindabronx" means when he says he needs to get his passport updated when traveling out there.

Of course the guys treated me great and I was able to get the rig shot I wanted. They also invited me to stay for lunch with them. What I noticed was how much these guys liked to eat. They all seemed to have a little extra profile around the waist which I really hadn't seen in other firehouses through the city. Of course I was a slim 185 lbs myself in those days so it was something that I did notice. I guess these guys just had a reputation that "they liked to eat".

So after the meal, the guys of E322 and L139 asked me how I got interested in the FDNY. I told them about riding Rescue 2 back in 1968 and then being able to listen to them on my scanner at home in Bridgeport. I started to make trips down to Harlem and followed Eng 58 and Ladd 26 around for awhile. Of course when the book "Report from Engine Co 82" came out, like so many other buffs, I made that area my new hang out.

These members seemed very surprised that I had gone all the way out there just to get that rig shot. They said they very seldom get visitors to the firehouse.

Well, after a couple of runs, it is now about 3 pm and I tell them, it's time for me to head out. They told me to wait a minute and they said "get on the rig". So off we go. Guess where ?? To grab a couple of those famous Nathans Hotdogs. They wanted to buy me a couple but I really couldn't eat it after just eating that huge meal. They told me this is part of the routine at this firehouse. I thought, "man, where do these guys put this stuff" ? No wonder they were all overweight. They told me besides fighting fires, they love to eat.

Why was that firehouse closed down ? I always wondered, if just maybe, it was to break up that firehouse of heavy eaters.

Mack that picture of The "Coney Island Tin House" looks like the one I took of the "Tin House" On Rockaway Ave (E232 & L176) I had that picture and sent it to The Guy who runs the Tinhouse Alumni as they were making up a shirt and wanted that picture on the back of the shirt. The picture I sent was photoshopped as the original had the Truck door closed. Eng 232 had a 1982 American Lafrance and traded it in for a 79 Mack which is in the photo.I don't think the Co in Seagate had a 79 Mack if they weren't there in the early 80"s. The Silver Tin House letters was removed from the original picture. The letters that made "Tin House" came from the front of an abandoned Hospital called "Unity Hospital" on St. Johns Place and they only altered one letter.

Jack O'Reilly

mack

Administrator
No Engine 322    No Engine 322-2    No Hook and Ladder 139    No Seagate firehouse    No Seagate Tinhouse

Sorry for the bogus posting - just over zealous imagination

Thanks for the back-up Willy-D.  Too bad there were not great Seagate firehouse meals and E 322/L 139 firefighters who "liked to eat":

There was, however, a 3rd firehouse in Coney Island on West 15th Street.  Engine 244 was located at 2929 West 15th Street.  Engine 244 was disbanded in 1968:

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
But Willy - a few of us do know that you been to Sea Gate!  I just hope that you did not eat the hole thing!!!  Remember it's not Mickey'D...  Have a great day!!!!

Atlas said:
But Willy - a few of us do know that you been to Sea Gate!  I just hope that you did not eat the hole thing!!!  Remember it's not Mickey'D...  Have a great day!!!!

You're right "Atlas", yes, you do remember me being out there at Sea Gate. In fact, if I remember, the somewhat obese firefighter that "mack" posted a little earlier told me, when he can't make it to Nathans for a half dozen dogs or so, he always goes to Mickey Ds instead for that mid afternoon snack. For the mid evening snack before bedtime its for a bag of those White Castle sliders.

I'm sorry for getting so off track here on such a great thread with over 100 pages on the history of the NYC FDNY Firehouses. "It was macks idea, not mine. But I guess we all owe "mack" a big THANKS for doing an EXCELLENT job here. Where he found all this information, I have no idea. But it is all a part of what some people consider to be the Best Fire Department in the World. And this web site, along with "mack's" hard work, has brought it all together for all of us here to enjoy.

Thanks very much, Joe M (mack) and Tommy B (Tbendick).

Note.... But here"s something else. If it wasn't for this damn Firehouse thing, "My younger Buff Year" thing would have been the most popular thread on this site. Everything was going great with that, until this thing started.

There is a large building at 266 W. 96th St. in Manhattan, between Broadway and West End Ave. that looks like it could have been a firehouse at one time. As far as I know, there's no records of companies in the area (E74, E76, L22, L25) being located there. The only company I found that was quartered at or near this location was a pre-FDNY volunteer company, Peter Masterson Engine Co. 32, W. 96th St. & Broadway, from 1864 to Nov. of 1865. However, this building looks pretty recent to be from the volunteer days. Maybe a proposed firehouse?

Does anyone have any history or information as to whether or not this building was a firehouse, and if so, what companies were quartered here?

I believe that structure, although looking like a firehouse, is a Transit Authority facility. It may be a power sub-station or maintenance facility for the subway system. This building is very close to the subway and the 96th street station. Now I could be wrong but I'll go with my first guess.

I think this was identified as a Transit bldg in a previous post awhile ago at least it sounds like the same location . (i think).

68jk09 said:
I think this was identified as a Transit bldg in a previous post awhile ago at least it sounds like the same location . (i think).

Chief, I would have to say that you are correct. It's here somewhere along with a few other Transit look-a-likes.

Thanks guys for clearing that up. I know there are a couple transit buildings around that look like firehouses, wasn't sure if this was one.

There is a Two-bay transit building at 225 W53 that really looks like an early 20thC firehouse, look it up

Attachments

• 225w53.JPG
    225w53.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,060
Status
Not open for further replies.